Toshiba 15.6" Quad-Core Laptop

There is no touchscreen. I was worried about this when I bought it in June, but the OS works just fine without one. The OS level gestures work on the mousepad as well, so there’s no sacrifice of functionality.

Would I be correct in assuming that this doesn’t have the version of windows8 that is cheap and easy to immediately upgrade to windows 7?

This is not Windows 8 Professional. That is the only version that will let you upgrade for free.

I bought a Dell “i3z” Laptop 3 months ago and did not like Windows 8. Bought for same price but sold it. Might get this one with Better Specs. Guess I’m just use to Windows 7.

While its great to see AMD A10 notebooks at a decent price, most Toshiba AMD A-series notebooks(A4, A6, A8 & A10) I’ve seen at Staples, OfficeMax and Microcenter seem to have worn out/sticking trackpad buttons & sloppy keyboard feel(keyboard flex). If a store “demo” notebook can suffer trackpad buttons wearing out in >2-3 months, I’d question the long term durability as an everyday work machine.

With that said, if anyone plans to use one of these for day-to-day tasks(ex: school/work), I’d recommend SquareTrade as it’ll likely save your rear. I’ve met/known a few classmates over the years who’ve had low-end Toshibas, Compaq/HP, Dell, etc develop hardware faults within a year–then again those of us who live in colder regions stress our electronics. My dads’ old notebook cooked 4 HDDs under the 1yr warranty.

As far as this Toshiba vs the Best Buy HP, the updated APU would benefit gamers the most, port layout is better on HP(extra space between USB ports) and also having a 1yr warranty(vs 90 day Woot Warranty). In my experience HP customer service/support is better than Dell Home.(never owned a Toshiba)

Since I’m a part-time Windows user which owned varying graphics chipset notebooks, AMD is the way to go when it comes to driver updates as Intel often abandons support after 2yrs–my old Thinkpad has poor Intel IGP graphics drivers for Win7, had to settle with using Vista.

…maybe I’m in the minority, Windows 8 can’t be as bad as Vista x64! Vista: log-out/user switching/hibernate takes 5-10 minutes face palm

Thanks-- didn’t want to get stuck with another win8 machine!

This is a great computer! It’s fast and Windows 8 is pretty amazing. I think the keyboard is a little hard to type on an sometimes when I play Sims3, the computer will shut off. But, overall, this is a great computer.