Toshiba 26” LCD HDTV with Built-in DVD Player

I’m still new to the HDTV market so some basics still escape me. I notice in the description that the resolution is 720 , not 1080. Is that the norm for a screen this size? Am I correct in understanding that is the low end in resolution for HDTV’s? If so, why would anyone want that resolution if it defeats the whole purpose of HDTV? (that thar is whut we cawl a can o werms what I cum frum :wink: )

Lastly, can an xbox 360 connect to it?

Thanks

While it’s true that 720 is the lower end of HDTV resolution, it is still high definition. You are still getting the HD experience; a regular, non-HDTV would be considered 480, I believe. Furthermore, with this size of TV you will not be able to see a difference between 720 and 1080. Realistically, there’s no point to going 1080 with anything 32" or under.

And yes, you can connect a 360 to it, either through HDMI or composite cables (the colorful ones).

Hope that helps answer your questions!

does anyone know if this ships to hawaii? i’d love to get this for my parents, but i didn’t see shipping info anywhere…last tv that was on sale didn’t ship to hawaii but i don’t see it on this one…

update: nope, not to hawaii.

This is a pretty good deal. Best Buy has same TV for $409.90 (0n sale)

That’s not entirely accurate.

Depending on when you got your 360, it may not have HDMI. This thing has component inputs which the 360 also supports, and also VGA with an adapter.

Composite, which both the 360 and this will let you use is NOT high definition. That’s the yellow, white, and sometimes red cables (The same the original NES used). Component is the Red, Green, Blue, white, and second red cables, and that supports analog HD.

I’ll be honest, while watching video on smaller monitors is fine at any resolution, in videogames you can definitely see the difference between 1080p and 720p because most games require you to read a lot of tiny information, and it may be slightly blurry on this screen. This would also make this a poor choice for a computer monitor. As a general rule of thumb, the lower the resolution, the larger the text on the screen needs to be so it isn’t blurry.

720p isn’t terrible, but for a few more dollars (or sometimes a few less dollars) you can get something bigger, and if you’re already going to be hooking a 360 up to it you obviously don’t need the second dvd drive that’s built into it.

Smart manufacturers now have seperate power supplies on their monitors since that is the most trouble prown componant along with built in $10 DVD players.Expect a very short life if you use the DVD player more than once a month.

That’s including the (removable) base. The TV itself is only about 2 inches thick.

That’s one bad moon arising!

It’s his birthday! :slight_smile:

bought 1 as xmas present, picks up fair amount of digital channels, side-loading dvd player does std. dvds and cds with good quality. overall, good bang for the buck, color me impressed

We bought the 24" Curtiss 1080P with THREE HDMI connections (but w/o DVD) from HHGREGG for $188 after Christmas, and are VERY happy with it…They had the same (24")with internal for something like $230…both are 1080.

Several web sites lists it a DivX capable. Guess I’ll find out.

Picked this up for my daughter from Woot just before Christmas - has worked splendidly and very happy with it.

Now if she’d just stop trying to make Justin Bieber’s face look even worse by watching EVERYTHING in widescreen…

I had one… broke twice in 2 months… WORST customer service you’ll ever find. It’s not worth ten bucks

i bought one of these about a year ago. it was a good price in my book because it kept me from having to put another dvd player in my room.

now onto the bad, it isnt very loud. i have to really crank on the volumn to hear it. the only other thing is when you are flipping through the channels there is a delay between each screen. only a sec but it was annoying for a while. i knew about both problems before i bought it though and im still fairly pleased.

Bought one for kid for Xmas, not very good monitor quality

Just remember, no matter how good the price, it’s still a Toshiba. Be sure to save the shipping box for frequent warranty repairs.

I bought one last time around and have been happy with it. Have had a larger Toshiba downstairs for 2 years and never had a problem, so I trust the brand.

There is the continuing argument (dating back to the early stereo “hi-fi” days) between setting up a component system and and all-in-one system. The all-in-one is convenient and less messy with fewer wires, etc. The component side argues that there is always a weak link in any all-in-one system, you can’t pick the best individual components or upgrade individual pieces, and if one part breaks, the whole thing has to go to be repaired. I cannot tell you how many TVs I have seen at thrift stores with a working receiver but a broken VCR or DVD component.

that’s no moon! its a potato, or is it? I advise everyone buys one for closer inspection.