Toshiba 8'' Portable DVD Player with Car Kit

This little wooty went to market,
This little wooty stayed at home,
This little wooty had roast beef,
This little wooty had none.
And this little wooty went…
“Wii Wii Wii” all the way home…

and still got none 8-(

I just bought a 7" with car kit for 59.00 its not worth 40 more bucks for another inch

Can someone advise me if this product is worth it? I have never bought a portable DVD player, but I do enjoy watching movies on my laptop, so I am tempted to buy this…Any techie advice out there?

I’d pay forty bucks for another inch…

of screen. :slight_smile:

I got two words for you: ASPECT RATIO. Most portables don’t support different aspect ratios for DVDs in widescreen or letterbox. At least not the cheaper ones. If you enjoy watching them on your laptop, then your laptop is either widescreen or you don’t care for widescreen films.

I did end up going through several cheaper ones for my daughter, trying one then exchanging for another (thanks, Best Buy!). None of the $100 or less models supported different aspect ratios. They just tried stretching the image, etc.

Did you READ the 1 star Rating??? Nice try… Fricken dude was rating his experience, NOT the actual ITEM!

Some user reviews from eBay (4.5/5):
http://search.reviews.ebay.com/Toshiba-SD-KP19-Portable-DVD-Player-with-Screen_W0QQfvcsZ2017QQsoprZ55064237

The strength in this player is in what makes it different than a vanilla portable DVD player:
DivX Home Theater Certified allows playback of DivX, AVI and MPEG4 (.ASF) compressed files*

So you can put these movie formats on a memory card and play away. Nice option.
4-In-1 Card Slot accepts Secure Digital, Memory Stick, XD, and MultimediaCard.*

The different cards supported for above use.
JPEG Viewer *

Good for viewing pics if you are on a trip and don’t have a laptop readily available to view your digital camera pics.

thanks for the help!!:slight_smile: i’m in…,

Clicky: Ebay reviews :slight_smile:

Just bought one of these from best buy. Hoping for the Wii here

Been waiting for a sub-$100 DIVX player for a while now. Thanks WOOT!

So, now that you’ve seen today’s product picture, do you think w00t is going to offer a flagpole tomorrow?

I’ve been waiting for one like this (at this price point) as well.

Woot - there it is.

I use PowerDVD on my Toshiba Tecra and can watch in 16:9, 4:3, widescreen, letterbox, etc. I’m not sure why you wouldn’t be able to watch different aspect ratios on a laptop. Even Windows Media Player plays movies in their correct aspect ratio, without distorting the image, provided a DVD codec is installed.

I bought one of these last time. It’s awesome. The little speakers on either side of the screen get LOUD if you want them to. I’m talking L O U D. The motor is a bit noisy, but it’s nothing to worry about. Two headphone jacks is a cool feature.

I saw these at the Costcos for $169 a while back.

If this is the same one that’s at Costco, save your money… Picture quality I saw on an 8" Toshiba was only fair. Otherwise, not a bad deal for the size/features. DivX is a nice option on these things.

That would be perfect for Festivus!

Woot out the pole! Woot out the poll! (or at least a RBOC)

Daddy’s gonna kill Ralphie!

mixed bag…

Some reasons for doing it… if you have a kid you want him/her to be able to watch dvds without tying up or waiting for your laptop/computer or tv… or if YOU when traveling dont want to take the weight or size of a laptop out on your plane seat or whatever…

I’ve had 2-3 different ones…

used them for a while, then never again… gave them away

Actually if there was a good one it would better than using a laptop… less bulky and heavy… but chances are unless your laptop is ancient and with a poor driver that your laptop will be better: better resolution, aspect ratios (4:3, 16:9)
With a good laptop driver you can even watch dvds “faster than normal without chipmunk like voices”… I havent seen one of these portables that can do that… (is called time compression or expansion)

here’s the dilemma laptop prices are crashing downwards (CompUsa has several 2 core double processor laptops for anywhere between $499 & $799 on sale for Christmas) – these things should be cheaper AND/OR have better features…

woot has had other models for less… I’d pick one of those over this one… NOT because they are better than this one, but because they are cheaper… and neither have great features…
although this one has DivX (a good quality driver, and other goodies like card readers) but that’s NOT going to helpful if you just want to watch DVDs (the other stuff is good for using Video you downloaded on your PC).

but if you have $100 burning a hole in your pocket… and/or want to start fooling around with videos (as opposed to DVDs) then those features may come in handy for you… go for it
knock yourself out as they say!
:slight_smile: