Toshiba 8” Portable DVD Player

Does Batman swing from rooftops? He’s the one in Gotham, right?

Toshiba makes some excellent products, their laptops are rated high in reliability. But after a couple of bad experiences buying stuff in the pastI have a policy. NO R-E-F-U-R-B-S…!!!

Sweet chocolate Jesus. http://www.samstores.com/details.asp?ProdID=6517 < Says this is a region-free player… can anyone verify? If this is the case, it’s one heck of a deal. Seeing as set-top region free players (when bought through a reputable dealer) are going to set you back 130$, or so, and this one’s portable.

Brand new one currently sells for $169 at Costco, so that’s a nice price, and it plays DivX! On the downside there’s no region-free hack available for it yet.

Two different markets. I love having a small DVD player (and a laptop, and a nice big-screen computer, and an even bigger-screen TV). Different uses. Hate the space my laptop takes up on an airplane tray-table… these are great. Already have one (different brand), or would bite.

Night!

I think this is what makes this player stand out. You can watch lots of shows and movies you may happen to ahem find on the internets. Might be great for some people. I use my laptop as my portable DVD/Divx/Xvid player though.

It is pretty pathetic, considering the 3.8" Epson P-2000 is 640x480. I can’t imagine this looking very good, or what Toshiba was thinking.

That’s why it’s here. Definitely shy in the pixel department. Woot! Find me a 5-10" desk/auto LCD TV with manual (not scan) tuning.

4 hour battery life? thats better than toshiba’s high end, that only does 3.5 hours.

video ipod coming out in 2 weeks will make this obsolete…

NOT!

I’m sure you meant Fair Use backup copies of DVDs you already own as permitted under Title 17 of the US Code. Some of these portable players are a little flaky with DVD+/-Rs, at least the earlier generation ones I tried.

It appears the “Discuss this product” link (http://www.woot.com/DiscussionRedirect.aspx?WootSaleId=2491) on the first page is broken, I can only access the thread from the blog’s link (http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=690931&count=31).

All right, looks like we’re fixed again. Hopefully for good this time.

with this size why cant they swap out the DVD drive an put in a HDD in its place? not that would be a product! 20gb hdds are cheap as chips…

Can anyone confirm that this will actually play Xvid? I know it seems logical that it would, given that it plays DivX, but I have used an older model RCA Lyra that plays DivX but not Xvid (well, it plays, but it loses synch very quickly). I looked through Google for over an hour trying to find a review that would say for sure, but I haven’t found anything.

Also, the Amazon link above is for a different model. The specs look the same, but you can find this actual model on Amazon too, only without any reviews.

Most places I found have it for $150, refurb.
This one has it for $125 with a few more accessories, i.e. car adapter and headphones.
http://www.netdropshipper.com/product_expd/1/3946/

How ‘bout it, Woot, where’s the car adapter? I’m buyin’ it anyway…

yeah… low res… but i got it.

similar dvd players on newegg have a 1440x243 res??? ridiculous horizontal res but the same vertical? Original dvd res for NTSC Widescreen dvds is 720x480. My guess, it will probably look the same on both to the human eye. My only concern is the refurb part. This is my first woot purchase.

I got this primarily for

1. Dual Headphone
  2. Video Input (can hook up to my archos gmini and watch stuff)
  3. divx support (tv series are good for muni transit)
  4. god damn decent battery life
  5. Plane trip coming at the end of the month

W0000000000000000000000T

i have a 10.2 in but i like the Divx support not a bad price and you can DL movies and burn to CD coolies
~JOE~

This seems like a cheap enough device to keep the kids occupied. I wonder why it was refurbished???

ive been staying up, killing myself, depriving myself of what i hold so dear everynight for the past month waiting for that bag of crap with my name on it. WOOT sunday OR monday better be BOC night!!!

on a side note, i bought a portable dvd player exactly like this different company for like a 130 bucks and it was on sale! theyre pretty good if u ever take long trips, but if you have a laptop that has a decent battery thats all you need and i wouldnt reccomend this; once i got my laptop all my dvd player does is collect dust