Toshiba CAMILEO 1080p Camcorder 23x Opt

Amazon reviews are terrible. Run, don’t walk, away from this deal.

How old is your son? That helps determines their understanding of delicate electronics. One of those waterproof Kodaks might be better, for example.

Skipping this one. Thanks but no thanks, Woot.

I only see 10 reviews on Amazon, not a great sample. It does seem that the AF does not perform well in low light based on those 10 reviews.

However, alarms go off whenever I see the term “blurry.” It indicates to me a person who cannot tell the difference between focus concerns, camera shake and subject movement.

One negative review did say the camera did not focus even when mounted on a tripod while used in a well-lit hall. Now THAT’s an opinion I trust!

Say what? We’ve always sold items that companies have wanted to liquidate because they were upgrading a model or closing it out. Refurbished items too.

This is totally woot along with all the people sharing the reviews… such as they are.

You would think Woot would do their homework before posting a product with some of the worst reviews ever! Even the one guy that gave it a decent review said he can’t record with it plugged in, and Toshiba seemed to not know that was an issue! Really? Good grief, Woot! A good deal is only good if it’s a decent product!

I believe they’re referring to the fact that this item, by all accounts, is crappy and not worth the price regardless of the price point. The amazon reviews almost universally indicate that it does not function properly as a camcorder. I believe “what woot has become,” to many wooters, is a place where mistakes are gotten rid of. This camera was poorly designed, poorly manufactured, and is a poor product. A refurbished panasonic camcorder of the same form factor would be fine, that’s the old woot, getting us good stuff for cheap. This piece of crap is a trap, according to the reviews and comments in this thread. It’s a waste of money and will produce unacceptable videos. It is not something of value.

The name reminds me too much of the great tragedic play “The King’s Cameleopard, or The Royal Nonesuch.” It was a tragedy alright, and I reckon that buying this camera is about as much of a value as attending that play was.

Are Flip Videos still a thing? That’s still a thing, right? I’d get one of those (provided it’s still a thing). My grandmother has a flip, and she loves it. Press the red button and point it at your subject for up to 3 hours. Plug it into “the flip video hole” (USB port) when you want to transfer it to facebook, and the interface pops right up.

Does this end up in several of the next go-round of basket of carrots? That might be a good thing…

Never gotten carrots from Woot, so no idea what all might be included. Me thinks maybe the last of the Toshiba Camileo Camcorders?

Yep, the first clue it was stink was the failure to even list the sensor size in the specs… That suspicion was then backed up by the horrible reviews. B and H photo also had bad customer reviews.

I don’t think they have bags of crap anymore… well strike, it seems they have them but they are charging more than five bucks for them… this time I think the price is 129.99

Likely it isn’t full HD and is just up converting like most cheap “full HD” camcorders. I don’t understand how these still sell when most digital cameras these days can give you actually quite good and true full HD for not a lot more.

You can spend $20 more and get yourself a $149 Panasonic Camcorder 70x OPTICAL ZOOM vs. the Toshiba 23x OPTICAL ZOOM. The extra 47x OPTICAL ZOOM power you will much appreciate it!

The mic input definitely made this tempting since I have a Sennheiser MKE 400, but I think I’ll have to save up my pennies for one of the Canon Vixia camcorders.

Did a quick check on Amazon. Amazingly poor reviews. Appears that autofocus is sub-par and exhibits very poor performance in anything other than full lighting. If you can tolerate that (I cannot), $130 is cheap.

Amazon.com reviews of this camcorder not good:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshibas-CAMILEO-X416-Full-Camcorder/product-reviews/B005LS27HK/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0

I m actually in the market for a decent quality handheld and this price was super appealing but the quality feedback is simply appalling. I wonder what sort of due diligence is performed by the folks who pick the product lineup. Is there a quality vs discount % tradeoff that was used here (well we usually discount 12% but since this product is really terrible, lets bump that to say 40%)? I m guessing that has to be the case since the product reviews universally indicate something that should just be recalled.

They are still around, as are some good Kodaks. Just avoid ones from Sakar, Vivitar, RCA, GE and anything blister packed on a shelf far away from the “real” cameras.

We use Vixia at work with that same mic, and it’s great. Not sure about broadcast quality as far as video goes, but the sound of the mic is superb.