Toshiba Quad-Core Laptop w/Blu-ray

Thank you

A vacuum isn’t much of a celebration where I come from…

I got this from Staples for $549. For $20 you can upgrade to 8GB yourself. It’s only about as heavy as most 15.6" laptops. Brushed blue aluminum case is very nice. I’ve played through EA’s Medal of Honor on decently high settings just fine. I’m able to run all sorts of stuff on here at the same time including Ubutnu 12 in a VMWare Player and it all runs fine. 1600x900 is perfect for getting real work done, MUCH better than 1366x768, and not too small like 1920x1080. Quad core, decent graphics, 17.3", Blu-Ray for $400 seems pretty unbeatable. Cheapest last gen 17" Macbook Pro was $2700, and you couldn’t even get Blu-Ray as an option. Now you can’t even get a 17" Macbook pro.

That link seems corrupted. I’d stick with the mainstream sites.

This laptop is a seriously low performer and hate the keyboard concept (flat keys, no space between them, whaaaat?). But for only $400 it might be a nice kick-around spare to keep on the side of the desk for general office testing - maybe with an external keyboard/mouse. I need something I can do testing on I don’t care about getting corrupted.

what is the webcam specs please? Does it have an HD Cam?

I’ve been watching laptops for awhile and this seems like the best deal I’ve seen in months. Considering the bluray drive and the screen resolution that is. I know it no tower gaming replacement but it seems to fit my wife’s needs perfectly. I really want to buy this but I really hate HP. I am going to bed. If it is still available in the morning I will read the comments and decide then.

Since this computer is a “Toshiba” whether or not you hate HP should not matter!

I believe it’s a Toshiba, not HP

I’ve been watching laptops for awhile and this seems like the best deal I’ve seen in months. Considering the bluray drive and the screen resolution that is. I know it no tower gaming replacement but it seems to fit my wife’s needs perfectly. I really want to buy this but I really hate HP. I am going to bed. If it is still available in the morning I will read the comments and decide then.
[/quote]

Can anybody that has this tell me how long the battery life is like on a full use/charge?

I recently bought a VERY similar model (refurb, off woot) and that thing was a piece of dung. It lasted two weeks before the display went out. Toshiba initially refused to fix it under warranty (2 wks old!). I finally got them to agree to fix it if I paid for shipping(!?!?) No deal. I sold it for parts. Bottom line is that you can see Toshiba’s quality is at a low point right now if you google it. Be careful out there, people!

Huh? Toshiba agreed to fix it and you backed out because of the cost of shipping? And you took less of a loss parting out a laptop?

Woot always lacks complete pictures and a good description. They flash the mfg specs and think they did their job. They spend more pixels on funny talk than presenting the item.

Anyone know what these actually mean? I have a computer I built using an i3-2125 at 3.3GHz, which scores about 1,000 points higher on that scale than the processor in this laptop. How do I interpret that, considering my i3 is a dual core but does everything I need it to do?

Anyone know how easily the drive can be replaced to a SSD?

And 6GB of RAM is plenty. I have 8GB in the computer I’m typing this on, and I have 6 GB free right now (using 2GB).

The only detriment (other than a faster processor) I can see is the lack of a 1 Gbps network speed.

5400rpm hard drive (super slow), AMD processor (lightyears slower than even Intel’s last generation of chipsets), a video card that is under even the intel i5 2500k’s CPU integrated chipset video (which is important considering the giant size of the screen), and a cheap (seemingly expensive) Blu-Ray “reader” as opposed to burner… At 17.3" it’s certainly clunky and the battery life must be impossibly short…let’s also not forget the limited USB ports and lack of USB 3.0. Dollar store computer if I ever saw one…

What’s not to love?

I bought an Acer laptop that wasn’t on sale over a year and a half ago for slightly more with an i5 processor and a 1GB video card.

edit: thought it was 4gb of ram, not 6gb. still, I’d rather have 8.

You didn’t miss anything. In fact, you saved quite a bit of your life force not being sucked into the unrewarding money snatching unapologetic time stealing woot vortex. Be thankful!

You could probably ask them to replay the live video feed if you enjoy brainwashing.

The included hard drive is SATA so swapping it to an SSD would be extremely simple (probably one screw and a popped panel). Also, 99.99% of all laptop hard drives are attached to a model specific adapter to lock it into place. These are almost always secured by 4 screws. Simply transfer that adapter to the new hard drive in the same fashion as it was attached to the previous one. Make sure that you have made a set of backup/restore discs from the old hard drive (or that it came with them) before removing.

The only question is what variety of SATA this laptop supports. Considering the low price, I’m almost certain that it is of the SATA 2 variety.

You can buy a SATA 3 SSD and it will be backwards compatible if it is only SATA 2, but the bandwidth will be cut in half by the older interface. That still doesn’t affect whether or not you should get one because ALL SSDs are incredibly fast and noticeably boost just about any computer system. It’s definitely more beneficial than upgrading the RAM (at least for this system).

In any event, for this system in particular it’s probably best to go with the brand name SSD that has the lowest price regardless of whether or not it is SATA II or SATA III because the prices have become so indistinguishable.

I recommend Samsung, Intel, Crucial, and Sandisk. If one is on sale and significantly cheaper you should tilt in that direction.

I prefer Samsung if given a choice.

Rceived my notification of yesterday’s festivities at 5:12 this morning!!! My feelings are hurt big time :frowning:

Yup,got my announcement at 10:29 pm last night. Had logged on in the morning so knew about it anyway.

Anyone know the battery life? Also does anyone know if its an integrated graphics card, and if not how many MB it is?