Toshiba Satellite AMD Dual Core 15.4" Notebook

Note: This post contains pricing information for future reference because it is generally not available elsewhere once the next Woot has been offered.

Toshiba Satellite AMD Dual Core 15.4" Notebook
$499.99 + $5 shipping
condition: Refurbished
product: 1 Toshiba Turion 64 X2 1.9GHz 2GB 200GB DVD±RW 15.4” Vista

Price comparator post ! - Is this a good deal ? Let’s see ! :slight_smile:

Refurbished Toshiba Satellite AMD Dual Core 15.4" Notebook, for $ + $5 shipping
Product: 1x Toshiba Turion 64 X2 1.9GHz 2GB 200GB DVD±RW 15.4” Vista

This is a Toshiba Satellite A215-S7437, according to the product description (for future reference)

To access the price comparator links, click here
And to compare with Froogle, Amazon and eBay, click here

http://lucy.cykian.net/wts/pic0.pnghttp://lucy.cykian.net/wts/pic1.jpg

not a bad deal…but just refurb

Barely off the fence about buying this. I want a laptop, and that’s a good price, but reef + 90 day warranty is just asking for it.

$150 more for brand new at Newegg.

What kind of sound card does this have?

We have a Vaio that is just chugging along but if I were in the market for a notebook, I would jump on this.

Toshiba laptops have always treated me well…except for the one time when my HD pooped out just outside the warranty but they replaced it for free anyways!

It looks like a new version with a 160 hd is available at Bestest Buyest for the same price (shipping being a difference).

Yowza… good deal, although anyone thinking linux may want to think twice. Certain dual-core athlon X2s have had quite a bit of trouble with most distros due to a bug in the linux kernel.

Where’s the lb?

My DVD/CDRW combo drive in an Acer laptop died 2 weeks after the warranty and they didn’t want to replace it despite them keeping the laptop for 3 weeks during the warranty period to change the HDD.
Not to mention the fact that the DVD/CDRW drive burnt because of a loose screw inside the laptop that finally went too close to the PCB and created a short circuit… I ended up fixing the drive myself by replacing a N-channel FET (a type of transistor) on the drive PCB.

Looks like Toshiba treats the customer better than Acer does.

anyone think the processor is a reason to not buy?

I like Toshiba laptops a lot, they have lasted me a long time. The only thing I say to look out for is the video card. It says ATI graphics, but you don’t know what type it is. It’s probably better than the Intel Integrated graphics I have though.

Decent laptop.

However…

I admit, I’m sorely tempted by this. Not tempted so much by the AMD processor even though I currently have one in my desktop (but it’s oooooold). From the looks of the ‘in the box’ section, it looks like this doesn’t come with the Windows install disc, just the COA and Win already installed. That’s kind of iffy to me, too.

But I’m still tempted!

Edit: Pretty handy review here with additional specs (though the tested model only has 1GB RAM)

aww, i wanted this until i saw the x1200. that thing is sloooooow.

Hate Toshiba laptops. I bought mine 3 or 4 years ago for $1800. After two years of not much use, the motherboard had to be replaced. Thankfully I had bought an extended warranty so everything was covered. Then I got a letter from Toshiba the next year basically saying that my laptop was a piece of crap and if I sent this form in they would extend the warranty for one more year and give me $50. Time ran out before I got it sent in and last month the thing stopped working again. It doesn’t even turn on. Don’t buy Toshiba laptops!!! I like my Toshiba LCD TV’s though.

XP or more RAM, please.