Toshiba Ultra-Widescreen 14.4” i5 Laptop

BTW, if you haven’t seen it, don’t miss the product video on Tools today.

I was annoyed that the specs didn’t give the actual screen dimensions, so I did the math, and unless I’ve made a stupid error in applying Pythagoras’s theorem, and assuming that the 14.4" is the diagonal dimension, the screen on this is 5.7" tall by 13.2" wide, which seems pretty underwhelming to me. I don’t know how much work I could do with a screen height less than 6".

How does someone create a laptop with this aspect ratio and not have a number pad?

I have a couple of laptops and netbooks with widescreens, which would be good for watching movies, but most of the work I do on Word or Excel I do on an ancient Dell with a UXGA (1600x1200) 4:3 screen. If I can’t have a single device for work and leisure use, I’d get a tablet, but I just don’t use mobile devices for movies - other than watching movies on my phone on a plane a couple of times. Being short sighted makes watching a 4.3" screen in cramped conditions tolerable…

I am not sure about this model Toshiba, but I own a Satellite A305 and had been happy with it for the first couple of years of ownership. That is until I could not connect via wireless anymore. I started having serious connectivity problems that were never fixed. Toshiba customer support was a complete waste of time and money. Before you buy Toshiba products, do extensive research on this very common problem. Good luck

I have 2 Toshiba laptops - a $300 “Wal*Mart Special” that came with Vista and I downgraded to XP. No small task as this was a “one-time, sale-specific build” laptop - but it’s worked great ever since.

Then I made the mistake of buying the near $2000 top-of-the-line Qosmio X505 18" monster running Win7. It has been, by far and away, the most unstable computer I have ever owned.
The VAST majority of the issue is the video driver - because the manufacturer sold the chipset to Toshiba they don’t write a (specific) driver for it - and Toshiba gave up releasing new drivers the week after the paint dried on the shipping models. As you might guess, the generic driver sets work, but can’t address whatever it is that Toshiba did wrong on their implementation.

I will keep this brief and say - if you get a Toshiba that Toshiba decides to actually SUPPORT you’ll be OK. But if you buy one that they pretty much forget ever existed you will be f**ked.

Just look at their forums.

Like my voice here matters at all - but I for one will never give Toshiba another dime. Caveat Emptor.

If you think this harsh YOU spend two grand for a power-sucking paperweight and see how your opinion changes…

Was about to say – er, type – the exact same thing.

Will this laptop be a capable Bitcoin miner?

What does ?

Service upgradable only

for the 6 GIG to 10 GIG of memory mean?

I was excited for a moment… until I looked at the keyboard. How on earth can you market an ‘Ultra Wide’ Laptop… without including a Number Pad… are you kidding me? O.o!

It means there’s no handy access plate to install more memory. The placement of the memory slots is such that it involves removing the case which would void your warranty.

What kind of games are you looking to play? Older games with low-mid graphics should run acceptably, but don’t expect to run newer games.

Suggestion: If you are looking for a “cheap gaming laptop”, go for the Lenovo y510p with 750m sli.

My gf had one of these. This laptop has a major design issue. The fan is on the back of the laptop and when you open the screen, there is not much air flow and it gets heated easily. After couple hours of use, you might see some crazy things going on on the screen. No recommending.

and no full keyboard, great!

WOOT is da bomb. They have amazing deals pretty much every day. But occasionally, the deal is off a bit.

Now don’t get me wrong - I LOVE me some WOOT - but I have to be honest and say that this box is available online a little cheaper. Not much, but a little.

Since the price is very close, and since WOOT is a known entity, I would still probably get it here; but, I always “trust but verify” that WOOT has the best price, and occasionally they are a little off. Actually, very seldomly.

Anyway, now you know.

[MOD: FYI, I got an error message trying to check out to see how much Shipping was. ]

Full HD is 1920x1080. You can mince words all you want, but this ain’t it.

If you’re using a laptop to watch a video or play a DVD, then you’ll be in full screen and title bars are a non issue.

Uh…bookvault.net? Looks like a marketplace site. No thanks. I’ll stick with Woot.

I am looking to build a HTPC out of an Intel NUC and this pretty much has every spec I was hoping to build my new toy with. Monitor be damned, this is very tempting. Have 3 hours to figure it out!

Anyone have experience running 1080p from this via hdmi?