TP-Link Smart Plug w/ Energy Monitoring

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]

TP-Link Smart Plug w/ Energy Monitoring
Price: $19.99 - 36.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Dec 13 to Monday, Dec 18) + transit
Condition: Refurbished

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](https://electronics.woot.com/offers/tp-link-smart-plug-w-energy-monitoring) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=TP-Link Smart Plug w/ Energy Monitoring) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=TP-Link Smart Plug w/ Energy Monitoring)

I bought one of these a week or so ago (without the energy monitoring) when it was part of an Amazon Flash sale. The TP-Link (Kasa) app is pretty straight forward, plug it in, pair it to your wi-fi through the app, and you can turn your switch on/off from anywhere, or schedule it to switch.

Alexa skill is also easy to set up, and allows you to turn on/off your device via voice.

This is NOT compatible with Samsung SmartThings out of the box, however if you really want to make it work, you can integrate it with a custom device handler (made by Dan Logan if you intend to look it up) using the Samsung IDE.

This allows me to automate the plug even more, to do things like turn it on automatically when my garage door opens etc.

There is a flaw though. If you manually turn the device on, or do it from alexa, there is a delay in the poll update from smartthings, so keep that in mind if you are looking to do heavy automation.

I’ve read that some setups require a hub of some sort between Alexa and the smart outlet. Will this unit respond to voice commands from an Echo Dot without any additional hardware?

Yes. TP-Link smart devices use your wireless network and do not need a hub. You have to set up an account with TP-Link and then enable the Alexa skill using that account. After that, just discover and start using.

It works with Google Assistant too. I can control them from my Moto X4 or Google Mini. Setup is real easy.

These also integrate nicely with Google Assistant, IFTTT, and Stringify.

Unfortunately they do not currently work with any of the popular third-party control hubs (Smartthings, Wink, Homekit).

The required controller app, Kasa, is actually pretty good. I teach Smart Home tech for part of my job, and I have a lot of exposure to the various apps that come along with the various brands. TP-Link’s Kasa is clean, easy to understand, and unifies control over their entire product line in an intuitive way.

From my usage, these outlets have a near-instant response time when using the Kasa app, and about a 1-2 second delay when integrated with a voice controller. Right now mine is automating my Xmas tree lights based on floating data points (dawn/dusk), with absolutely no issues.

You can get it for $5 as an add on on Amazon when you purchase the Echo for $29. $34 for both

[MOD: Not the energy monitoring model]

The $5 one included with that deal is not the model with energy monitoring. It’s still a great deal, but I thought I should point that out in case the monitoring feature was the main selling point for some people.

Does not appear that the company spent the extra 5 minutes to add any sort of webapp usage. No thanks. If a tech company forces me to use a particular device (that I don’t have) I will pass.

Unless someone knows if I can configure via browser? From the support site it does not appear so.

I got the HS100 during the $5 add on sale (why not?!). While its not the same model, the packaging looks to be the same. If it is, this will likely block the second outlet on your wall for most plug styles. Just keep that in mind when you think about where you want to use it.

edit: other than what I said above, mine is working great with my 2nd-gen echo, no hub.

I got these last year for my elderly parents so they would not have to wander around in the dark to turn on lights at night, they love them. (The regular, not the energy monitoring)

Not exactly true, they don’t work out of the box, but they do work with SmartThings at least, although it does take some effort and the setup of a listening server (I have mine set up on a Synology NAS using docker).

Here is the guide that I followed to integrate my device into SmartThings. I set my plugs to a static IP, then created a virtual device in the Samsung IDE, which then sends a packet over wifi to a server that listens for requests, and then forwards that request on to the plug to take the appropriate action. It works really well, but is by no means something that most people will know is possible.

I use SmartThings with Alexa to control the device instead of the Kasa integration with Alexa, otherwise there is a delay when using Alexa to turn on the device and SmartThings recognizing the status has changed.

Not really a big deal, or necessary, unless you plan on triggering using the plug status to perform another action. The actual turning on/off of the device still happens live.

If you turn the device on by pressing the button, there is a delay into SmartThings before it recognizes the status change, but that can be reduced by setting a timed status refresh by using something like WebCORE (which is amazing if you haven’t integrated it into SmartThings)

Can you set up scheduling to automatically turn on and off?

Yes, via the Kasa app.

Options are:

Turn on at (time), on specified days (SMTWTFS).

Turn off at (time), on specified days (SMTWTFS).

Turn on/off after # of minutes

Away mode: Used to auto off/on at different intervals between a set time to give the appearance that somebody is home.

Does anyone know where to find more detailed information about how the energy monitoring works? Like screenshots from the app as an example.

I checked the manual and the app store, but nothing about exactly what kind of information you can get.

For example, I would like to know the real-time usage (in W or A) and also various ways to accumulate usage over time (kWh).

Thanks!

I have the non energy version, but this may help from their page:

Energy Monitoring – Analyze a device’s real-time and historical power consumption.

From Amazon feedback:
It measures the amperage passing through when it is turned on in relation to the time it is on and stores that information as a summary of the energy used.

Shows energy history. Not in a graph form but just list averages daily and past 7 days and 30 days gives you also daily power and total consumption in KWh

(Not Mine)

http://www.cryptobadger.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/tplink_kasa.png

More Samples

Can two of these be used on a standard 2 outlet wall plate? Or are they too bulky to do more than 1?

You’d only be able to use one on a single plate, but the bottom outlet is still accessible if I recall

Where do you set the variable for dawn/dusk? I don’t see an option in Kasa - Are you using a different app or am I just missing it?