Trio 7.85" 16GB Tablet w/Free 4G Data

Thank you so much; I will do that now. I find 2 things interesting here: (1) so many people are up this early on a Sunday, an (2) when I bought mine from WOOT, not more than 3 weeks ago, there was no mention of a SIM card NOT being there.

Aw geez, a DOLLAR isn’t going to break the deal, is it?

It’s a tiny allotment, to be sure, but it’s enough to test the water and it’s enough to track reasonable email. It’s a whole lot cheaper than a cell phone for purposes of emergency connectedness.

It’s somewhat unusual for me to be up but hey, it’s Saturday night, more or less.

I’m glad people put enough information in here to provide a (tech) safety net. Otherwise, I’d never have bought the thing. In fact, I don’t think I’d have read anything about such a cheap device. I’m a new user with respect to mobile devices. All I’ve seen are iPads and iPhones. This is a good way to get acquainted with the category.

I just looked this up - WOW! You are the best resource! This is the sort of personal organizer I’ve wished for - for ages. If this gadget works well enough, I’d be happy to get a cell phone to keep up the connectedness.

People who grew up connected or get connections from work (that’s how the daughter gets a $30 Fitbit and almost free iPhone) don’t notice how many people are NOT connected because the risks and learning curve are perceived as too high for the limited benefits.

16 gb will do about 250 songs the rest I have 180 apps and I can get more memory for songs,by Getting an App to move them to the sd card that’s what i have on my 16 gb tablet and you’ll like free 200 mb for data only hardly use mine but comes in handy when no wi-fi around

it will do you fine use wifi all you can and if its not availabil use t-mobil for just mail, or look for items, it will b e OK

it means you didn’t post anything the team thinks was very worth while for others to read like links that give information on a product yet, no biggie

walmart, t-mobile

Just be careful at T-mobile site, use the link posted, when I went to their site it added a 1gig data plan, had to back out and start over… did get my sim card for $1.06

Agreed 100%

I think your due that quality post!

Ok copied from walmart review because I was curious on how to do the tmobile setup thingy:

"I do recommend doing the initial setup while on wifi because it does want to download some rather large upgrades which would eat up most of the 200mb per month data you get from T-mobile.

When powering it on, android will walk you through some initial steps like connecting to wifi, creating or entering your google account that is used for the play store to download apps.

I ran the initial setup and installed some of my apps from the play store. I shut down and started back up a couple of times to ensure it pulled down any updates it wanted while I was still on wifi.

Then to setup the T-mobile free data plan the instructions are very simple and listed on a sticker on the front of the tablet.

1. Turn off wifi so it will have to use mobile.
  2. open the Chrome browser and try to go to any website.
  3. it will redirect you to the T-mobile webpage with the steps to setup the free data plan.

Note: it will list several plan options, but just click on the always connected mobile data plan, then select your free plan (the 200mb one listed) and click use plan.

It will want you to setup a T-mobile account to track it under. I had never used T-mobile before, but I had mine up and running the free mobile data in under 10 mins. Then I went in to the android setup for data usage and set the data warnings for under 200mb and the monthly renew timeframe (it will reset to the next 200mb on the same day you activate)

I also added the power widget to my home screen so I can turn on/off, blutooth, sync, etc. I downloaded a free widget from the play store called Data On/Off that I can click to turn the mobile data on or off from the home screen. "

Do the above steps AFTER you install your SIM card

I hope that is helpful, very good steps from Burnsboy on walmart reviews

Just some words of caution…

If you get the 200mb/month plan do not think you can stream video (ex. Netflix, Youtube, Facebook, etc)… Video will eat your data in about 15 minutes.

Also if you go to facebook, disable auto video because facebook will run their advertizers video feeds on their pages automatically… that will eat your data allotment quickly too!

You obviously did NOT buy the refurb from WOOT last month b/c there’s no sticker on the front of the one I got. I am going to print out your message, though, since I haven’t set mine up yet. Mine was NOT advertised as NOT having a SIM card, but I just grabbed one of the .99 ones just in case. The tech support from Trio is wonderful - you can actually “reply” to an e-mail and get the same person!

I think you left the second “r” out of “support,” I just checked my contact for them.

I have a refurb Chromebook (from Woot) with the T-Mobile 200mb and the setup was exactly like the above post, it came with the sim but like others have written the sim should be free or really cheap. I haven’t had to buy extra data but it isn’t expensive. This tablet is intriguing since even a Chromebook isn’t always convenient and I am not lugging a giant phone on my belt -

kind of an in between for old eyes. If you have a cell plan with data it should have some provision for a hotspot (mine is $5/month) but $5 or $10 will also buy a nice chunk of data at T-Mobile. And as someone else wrote streaming music, video etc should only be done on wifi. Of course I have never understood why anyone would watch a movie on a small screen…

Thanks, that is the best link to the $0.99 deal for TMobe. The other bring your own tablet link requires you to get a plan.

Ok I have seen these around the last couple times and was not sure if to drop the hammer or not. I have several Android devices, the oldest being a Toshiba Thrive purchase here along with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and a newly acquired HP Stream 7 Windows 8.1 upgrade to Windows 10. The one thing they all missed was Cellular Data access. For that I use my Verizon Phone as I still have the old Unlimited Data plane and can tether my laptop or tablets via that just fine. So do I need this…? Probably not but as others mentioned with the included free data I figured why not try it. Here in NJ Verizon has always been the most reliably service wise and since I work in NYC getting T-Mbole to work in the past was spotty at best… I am hopeing that has changed since Verizon now is going to charge me an extra $20 for my unlimited data plan and I am thinking its time to look for an alternative. Also the iPad Air also on sale here is an Unlocked model so maybe I can use this free data plan with that. I was able to get 2 SIM cards from the link previously provided… I hope it all works as others have stated…

I did read those reviews and it does sound like something Woot should disclose. However, I’m thinking that $62 isn’t a whole lot of money for this gadget. I’d be outraged and return it if I’d paid $150 though. It seems an odd limit, this whole thing where companies insist they can decdide what you use it for after they were paid to sell the device to you – it sounds like litigation waiting to happen, just like the cell phone companies selling “unlimited data” and throttling you to the speed of two tin cans and a string if you used more than 5 gigs in a month.

Why is there a 32 gig movable memory if they only allow you to store 1 gig of content on it??

Am considering this tablet, but got to wondering if you’re locked to using tmobile. According to this (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1846984-TRIO-AXS-4g-tablet-from-Walmart-for-T-Mobile-and-AT-amp-T!), no, it’s unlocked. Anyone have different experience?

Mike

@Dustinsiemers: do you mind explaining a little more? You buy a sim card and then you call saying what to T-Mobile? I want 200mb free? Is there a webpage or something? I have a tablet with 4G that I don’t use because data can be so expensive: 200mb/month would be just ideal for me! Please, if you have more info, post it!
Thanks