Trio 7.85" 16GB Tablet w/Free 4G Data

A couple of questions…

So do you have to buy a sim card from T-Mobile and open an account? Is there a way to know when you are close to hitting your monthly “limit”?

Is it stuck on Jelly Bean or will there be upgrades?

Not expecting much for $40, but just want to see what I’m getting into

Thanks!

So would I need to get a t mobile account to use this, or could I just connect to my WiFi and use it as a lab top?

EDIT: These tablets no longer come with a SIM card. Probably related to some of the refurbs at previous sales not having them in the box. Sorry for the confusion.

The tablet should come with a SIM card for T-Mobile. Android includes some data management including alerts and mobile data limits. I haven’t tested the mobile data enough to see if there are alerts specifically for T-Mobile.

As for updates, unless you venture off into the world of custom ROMs, you are stuck on 4.2.2. There are no plans for future updates of the OS.

The write-up says that it does not come with the SIM.

No, you do not need a TMobile account to use this. Yes, you could just connect it to wifi.

No, definitely not. 200MB is nothing these days - even checking email can push you over that, if you gets lots of multimedia email.

Mine is similarly partitioned.

I think the OP may be correct tho - the system partition is where a lot of apps have to be installed, and where lots of caching occurs. If that’s the case, then 1GB is not a lot of wriggle room and will be a total pain after a few months of usage.

I got two last time. This is a decent tablet. The screen is big but the aspect ratio is closer to a piece of paper (like iPad) rather than wide-screen monitor. This is good for reading. If you are picky about it, some games will stretch a bit. Note you can buy a Fire Tablet for about $50 if you miss this.

200MB is completely inadequate.

For the past month my Nexus 7 tablet has used 345MB from the Google Play store alone, and another 365MB for the Chrome browser (not streaming related).

So 200MB is seemingly insufficent for even background duty.

I bought one of these and like it for most basic things (email, browsing, etc.) Data plan (200Mb) is small, but T-Mobile also offers upgrades if desired (example: 5 month/5Gb for $10). I use a combination of 200 + 5 and have been happy. It charges quickly, last days with average use. I would give it a A-.

Just as an FYI … the 200mb data deal from T-Mobile is generally available to anyone with a compatible tablet. You can read about it a little here or here. Or Google it, of course. I’ve had my iPad on this plan for awhile for those times when I’m away from a wireless network and want to access the internet for whatever reason. For that purpose, it’s adequate, and the price is right.

You cannot cancel an order after placing it. They will charge you 15% for restocking it. This is rip off. Never buying any thing from woot.com.

I’m not trying to be mean or snide, but: the screenshot you have shows that there is a setting in the Android OS for GPS. It does not show GPS actually working. So if you don’t mind, could you check the following:
Can you use Google Maps on your tablet? Do you have an app like GPS Status which shows how many satellites you have locked on?

Thanks for all your replies and info - very much appreciated!

re: low data amount…um, it’s free

For anyone who has this “Free” data, what happens if you go over your 200mb? Does the data just stop? do you get overage charges? Does it throttle down to 2g like other T-Mobile plans?

Thanks!!!

Where to purchase the SIM card for that price?

Unfortunately, we are unable to confirm this.

My Nexus 7 finally died (battery?). My son used it for netflix. Would this be a good replacement for the Nexus 7?

A great little tablet, I was pleasantly surprised. It’s a lot better than my crappy Samsung Galaxy Tab (a freebie with my TV purchase), but not as good as my IPad (no surprise there). At 40 bucks it makes a nice little backup unit.

Watch out on Refurbished items, Woot will not take 'em back. Instead they say to send to the manufacturer and then the manufacturer says the item is no longer made so not repairable! A total rip off!

[MOD: We will ask you to work with the warranty holder first. If that doesn’t work, we will try to help. Woot carries the warranty on this item.]