Troy-Bilt 16" Reel Mower

I’m not sure what you mean by the “pressure on the blade,” but according to the item description, this mower has nine adjustable heights. With my reel mower, I’ve never had any trouble cutting through anything growing in my yard (including rodents, apparently!) and “unkempt lawn” would be a kind description of my backyard. When dealing with more resilient weeds, I tend to adjust the mower to a higher cut (let’s say, 4" instead of 2") and run over the weeds once, then readjust to 2" and run over what’s left. It’s very easy to adjust the height of the blade.

Agreed… i have a 300sqf yard and these are perfect.

PLUS they store in *** a lot less space. *** then any gas or electric mower…

I meant adjust the metal plate part where the blade makes contact with. If I adjust it so its closer to the blade, I presume the blade would exert more pressure on its cut, thus maybe slicing those tough weeds that just doesn’t want to be sliced off.

My unkempt lawn sometimes is over 6 ft tall, where I would use a weedwacker or tilt a electric mower upward at 45 deg so the weed would hit the exposed spinning blade.

Ummmmm, i think that’s called a meadow.

A Reel mower . . .for when your goats break down.

Ah. I think you might want a goat cross-bred with a t-rex. I believe those are penciled in as the initial deal for the upcoming launch of pets.woot.com.

I’ve been REALLY wanting one of these for years. We borrow my parents’ lawn mower still (small yard). And when my husband goes off-shore for his 21-day hitch, the lawn gets naasty! I’d rather not risk injuring my toddlers, so I don’t cut it while he’s away…aside from other points of practicality.

What’s he gonna do when I tell him I bought a lawn mower? Oh, God!! Should I do it? We may be moving in a few months; does it travel well?

I would think it would, considering the handlebar can be removed by removing screws to greatly shorten dimensions.

It’s a great deal. Buy him the mower.
First: I am a mom & grandmom who takes child safety seriously.
Still… I was unable to stop my brain from thinking that you made the best excuse EVER for not mowing the lawn and I applaud you. And THEN my brain made me hear you saying this:
“Oh, Honey, I’d LOVE to mow the lawn for you while you’re gone, but isn’t it better knowing our kids are safe? I can’t run 'em over if I don’t mow, now can I?”

I mean no offense and the above scenario represents me, totally, and you not at all. Because you appear to be a good and decent person, and I…well…maybe not so much…

Good show! I’m smiling over here because I KNOW how easily cheesy my reasoning can get with some creativity, and I applaud you for fluffing the pillows properly.

My independence wants to chime in about how much I yearn to cut the dang jungle yard when he’s away, but then that’s the side of me that always explains jokes.

As far as decency goes…I usually ride the pragmatic pony. Some people walk in a room and say, “AGHH! What stinks?” Then in I come, and with left eyebrow tweaking slightly, report, “It smells of cabbage and slightly of Hades with a touch of cat.”

Thanks. I suspected it would, looking at the pictures. I thought I’d ask…in case it had some sort of ill tendencies on long trips. At 23 lbs, it can forward face.

I love reel mowers. I can happily mow under the moon and stars with nary a complaint from neighbors. Escape the heat and blistering rays of sun and be a ninja-mower!!!

Bought one faster than I can do the hokey pokey. That’s what it’s all about!

One nice thing about these is that the scissoring action actually cuts the grass neater, which results in a healthier lawn. No ragged, browned tips!

These more modern units are a LOT better than the older style push mowers as well. Not much worse than pushing an ordinary gas-powered one around.

This is good to know…I wondered how the newer versions stacked up to the older. I have a really heavy gray one that’s probably about 10 years old. It’s like pushing a beast around!

I’m looking forward to getting my shiny new mow-toy!

Do it! Mine’s deployed right now too, and it will make up for all the long nights and “but honey I thought you Wanted a washer” days to come! :wink:

16" is going to be small (that’s what she said) - I bought an 18" in Chicago burbs and my mistake was that I thought I could save the planet with this thing. unfortunately my yard back there was way too big. I now own a smaller yard (maybe 800 sq ft.) and I use my reel mower occasionally.

• don’t let the grass get too long - it’s almost impossible to get a good trim if the grass is over 4"
  • reel mowers will need to be sharpened every few years - depending on use.
  • yes! they are great exercise but not exceptionally difficult to push.
  • I appreciate my push reel mower on days when I don’t wanna fuss with the gas mower - no start up time, no priming, no gas, almost no noise, and no clunky grass bags to deal with.
  • this is a pretty good price for the 16"

I liked that one !

I agree with everything you said but would like to add that if you get small branches in your lawn, you will need to pick them up prior to using the mower or pick them up as you go. These will most certainly jam the blades. Anything the size of a pencil or so will is too big for the blades to handle. Now granted I don’t have this particular model but with the one I have this happens.

Best part about this thing is I can get up out when the sun rises and get the lawn done. I am done before the heat of the day hits. The other great thing about this is it’s the perfect size if your yard consists mostly of planted beds rather than lawn (cough, cough in my case ground ivy, clover, plantain, violets and kentucky bluegrass) on a small Chicago-sized lot. It’s very easy to maneuver in tight spots and along curved beds.

The only thing that has been interesting is that my neighbors stare at the woman cutting her lawn with the reel mower. Some would smile others would just stare in disbelief. But I like my mower, other than the shushing sounds of the blades it is really quiet and puts you in a zen-like state especially if you are the 1st one out cutting and the neighborhood hasn’t gotten crackin’ for the day.

While did I suddenly think about the movie Bladerunner?

Never fear my friend, my lawn is at your disposal. Have at it…

You’re welcome