TRU-Infrared 2 or 3-Burner Gas Grill

TRU-Infrared 2 or 3-Burner Gas Grill

I own the previous year’s model of the 2-burner grill.
What I like:

• It’s compact
  • The fold-down side shelves are sturdy and the right size
  • It heats up quickly
  • Food (I mostly cook chicken, pork and steaks) cooks faster than my previous grill, and I must use the lowest setting on the burners to prevent burning, so using less gas is a plus for me.
  • Mine has a door on the front to access the tank and to hang the scraper thingy, I would miss that on the one they are offering.
  • The electronic igniter uses a AAA battery that is easy to replace, and the igniter works flawlessly.

What I don’t like:

• The grates must be cleaned regularly, and that means donning disposable rubber gloves and removing the cold grates (there are 2 of them) and using the scraper thingy to scrape out the burnt on and mostly burnt on grease and whatnot. Mine is at our camp, so scraping this flotsam into the woods is not a big deal, but if it was at home, I would need to use a garbage can with a liner so as not to spread greasy remnants all over my yard.
  • The scraping must be done thoroughly to open up all the little holes to allow the grill to cook properly. This takes more effort than any other grill I have owned, and it takes practice using the scraper thingy (which you MUST NOT LOSE). It helps a LOT to burn off the grease and remnants by leaving the grill on for 10-15 minutes on high after use and letting it cool down before scraping.
  • There are definitely hotspots on this grill, so I MUST rotate food every 2-3 minutes or so. I don’t walk away from my grill anyway, so that’s not a problem, but until you learn where the hotspots are, you’ll char food pretty quickly, especially if you think you can use the high settings to cook with (you can’t - the grates will char the outside of your food fast, particularly in the hotspots).
  • I finally figured out that the internal hose on mine was defective (had trouble at times keeping the grill going), but a $20 part from the local home store did the trick. Should I have had to fix it? No. Was it easy to fix? Yes - 10 minutes.

YMMV

9 Likes

I got the 3-burner version, 2-weeks ago, for $199. here.
I love it. It’s living up to the review given it on amazingribs, and unlike another comment here, no measurable hot spots using an infrared thermometer and cooking on it.
This is NOT your average grill where the food sits on open grates inches from the heat source. The “infrared” aspect of this brings the heat much closer, as if you’d fitted your conventional grill with GrillGrates (a great accessory, BTW).
Review on AmazingRibs.com
The review above is for a slightly different model, but the guts are the same so it applies here.

Oh, and if you’re interested in upgrading what you have…
AmazingRibs piece on GrillGrates

2 Likes

I got this 3-burner grill for Christmas 2019. I assembled in January 2020 and in January 2021 the igniter stopped working. When troubleshooting this issue I found that the hardware mounting the burners was so corroded that the igniter return circuit was open. The TRU-Infrared grates were also severely corroded and there were several stains on the stainless steel surface where BBQ sauce had spattered. I cleaned it up the best I could, got the igniters working, and sold it for $10 just to get rid of it. I then learned that stainless steel comes in several grades and this grill uses the cheapest grade, likely thin 430 for the housing. I replaced it with a Summerset Sizzler 26" grill which is constructed using 443 Stainless Steel. The new grill cost a lot more, but I expect it to last many years. See this link for information on stainless steel used on grills: What to Look for When Choosing a Stainless Steel Grill

3 Likes

I own an older version also, and 2nd the comment about how it is more difficult to clean the grill, with the small holes which can get clogged. Rather than using the ‘scraper thingy’, I would take my grills inside, soak them in for a while in soapy solution, then just use a dull knife wrapped in a synthetic scrub pad to remove the stuck-on food. I understand why they use that grill grate design, it does make the food juicier than conventional grates that have more direct exposure to the flames.

1 Like

I owned the same 2-burner grill bought from Menards and too had issues with keeping the grill going. It suffered from a weak gas flow as the burners would go out. The first time I discovered the problem a powerful combustion occurred. I didn’t have patients to try servicing it and went out to buy a Weber grill instead

2 Likes

Seems like for $20 more I could drive to Lowe’s and get one with a cabinet bottom.

3 Likes

Worst. Assembly. Manual. EVER.

All wires leading to the starter are black… does that mean it doesn’t matter? Who knows, because the manual doesn’t tell you! What’s that? You’d like to know which number stamped in the part goes where… Oh! You just need to go back to the parts list - EVERY TIME. Silliness.

Just a little more time in creating this manual would have made a huge difference in the assembly process! And it’s not like I am clueless… I am an network engineer!

That’s probably why they publish videos.

(Please Note: I’m not employed by Woot, but I volunteer to help in the forums.)