TruBamboo Bamboo Kitchen & Sushi Pack

A bowl for making the rice would seal the deal. It seems odd that a sushi kit wouldn’t have one. You’re supposed to use an un-lacquered wooden bowl (you want it to absorb stray moisture to make it sticky), and they’re surprisingly hard to find.

finally a reason for people to use their Shun knives.

How is this a sushi kit without a rolling mat? Or did traditional sushi makers not use one?

I don’t see the little cups for soy sauce either! Waaaah…

I used to make sushi for years without any special tools. It is quite possible and works well after a little practice. The one tool that makes things 100x easier and the results a 100x nicer is a rolling mat. For some reasons this does not come with one. This set would be great for serving store bought sushi for two. If you want to actually make sushi pick up a rolling mat as well.

Yeah I agree. The one thing that you really, really need is the rolling mat. I’m surprised that they didn’t just throw in some napkins as well.

I can get the same-brand bamboo cutting boards here at Reny’s (local discounter) for less. And, as others have observed, wtf? No mat?

$129.99 over at buy.com
Rakuten: Online & In-Store Cash Back | Shop 3,500 Stores!

Although at Sears.com only $79.99
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00884668000P?vName=For%20the%20Home&cName=Cutlery&sName=Cutting%20Boards&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

Still Woot! seems to have the best price-if you are into this kind of thing, and I just might be, hmmm/

Info on the Bamboo in this set from Buy.com where this set is $129.99…

Why Bamboo?

Eco-friendly bamboo is one of the most renewable sources in the world Bamboo is defined by its unique combination of steel strength and natural beauty Bamboo’s distinctive grains provide an attractive decor compliment to any table Bamboo is a renewable resource Bamboo is the fastest producing woody plant in the world. Bamboo is a grass, which allows it to flourish in the proper climate. Certain types of bamboo can grow several feet a day. Bamboo generates more oxygen than trees, and is harvested and replenished without impacting the environment. TruBamboo makes the finest bamboo cutting boards in the world. TruBamboo begins by harvesting raw materials from one of the largest bamboo forests on earth. Only the finest stalks are chosen to be used in a precise manufacturing process which utilizes only the highest quality FDA approved food safe glues and employs the most durable construction methods. Flawless color consistency and unparalleled engineering combined with stylish packaging put TruBamboo’s cutting boards in a class of their own.

Dull knives? If they could find a way to sharpen them then things would be ok I suppose! And yes…that’s sarcasm, not me being mean.

I have experienced no ill effects of using my ceramic knives on my bamboo cutting board.

I almost bought this as a Christmas gift for my sister and BIL, but without the rolling mats or sushi forms, it’s a no go for me… :confused:

I don’t know if sharpening your knives before each use is a good idea since you’re taking away some material each time. Do you mean honing?

This is more of a sushi-themed bamboo kitchen set than a sushi “making” set. Rolling mats and forms can be found many places online like BB&B…

2-Piece Sushi Set

Sushi Press Kit

Or as kits…

I have this one,

or, like this one.

Personally, I think this is a pretty nice set at a great price, and I’m in for one.

The cutting boards in the sets on the other sites are all listed as being 1/4 inch thick. If the description on woot is accurate, these boards are thicker: the carving board is 3/4 inch thick and the smaller boards are 3/8 inch. Not sure what this implies about the quality of this set, but there you are.

Truth be told, even 3/8" sounds thin to me; I wonder about warping.

I use a sharpening steel - the long metal rod. thing. The result is that the knives are sharper, but the correct word might be “honed”.

All I want are those place-mat things so I can roll some enchiladas.

Shipping Update

TruBamboo Bamboo Kitchen & Sushi Pack has completely shipped via SmartPost (if order quantity is 1) and via FedEx Ground (if order quantity is 2-3). All tracking will be emailed by this afternoon to members who purchased this item. If you would like to find your tracking information sooner, please click the following link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING