Truchard Vineyards Tempranillo - 4 Pack

[labrat]
I will try to respond. I honestly felt intimidated by the rat task. I honestly feel I need to be more involved with tastings with other folks, listening to them describe while I am tasting to help me understand the break down.

Now that said, the nose on this wine was very off putting to me. More alcohol smell than anything else. You asked about my sensitivity to alcohol, interestly my favorite wine right now is the Verge Syrah offering we had a few months back, in fact purchased a case from that winery yesterday. It’s alcohol content is 14.8 which is higher than this, yet I don’t feel the same about that wine as this one. Is this the spice I am suppose to be picking up? I really do not know. You mentioned tannin versus dryness… I wonder if it was a combo of dryness, tannin and alcohol. Since I obviously do not have an adversion to alcohol content based on my other likes, it must be some combination of these three things. My taste preferences at the moment are not very wide due more to exposure, as in I like what I like and haven’t ventured out. So I’ve never had this varietal before, so could only compare it to what I do like. I honestly do not know if this was a good representation of this veriety or not.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my review. This helps me as well as the community decide on if my taste can relate to their’s. I have found though that there are folks whose tastes I relate to, and others I do not. Which reminds me, I am also a big PS fan… LOVE PS. Surprized I left that out of my tasting notes.

Woot! Great deal. I’m in for 3.

You certainly need not feel intimidated - you should continue to do just what you did: pay attention and write down your impressions as clearly as you can.

Clearly, as you taste more, especially with others, you will learn more and more. If you don’t have one, get your self a Wine Aroma Wheel for a very modest charge. Spend some time with it, and spend some time with the thread A Cat Died in My Mouth! (or) How to Develop the Professional Palate YOU Want!

The rest of your post gives food for thought. Not having tasted the wine, I can’t really offer any suggestions as to what’s going on, or why you’re perceiving what you are. You’re clearly getting something you don’t like, whether it’s accurately described or not, and what you’re describing is not inconsistent with either the varietal or a hot wine. Hmmm. I’d love to hear more about this from SB or Scott Harvey after they taste it.

I think you did a great job.
Out of curiosity, how warm was the wine when you drank it? Sometimes when I find that a wine tastes “hot” of alcohol, a few minutes in the fridge really helps out.

Thanks for your insightful rattage! I want to point out that you reviewed the '05 while the two previous rats reviewed the '04. Your review confirmed what I suspected: that the '04 is a good wine while the '05 is just not GOOD. In essence, we are paying $39.99 for two good wines with two bad wines being thrown in. Thanks again and I am not sure I am willing to spend $20/bottle for this.

You’ve done a bang-up job with your rat report. We all thank you for being thorough and thoughtful. It would be great if all rats put this much effort into their reports - trying the wine over time and making notes as you go. Kudos.

That’s how I say it…I also call it, “Yummm”, but I believe that’s more of a native pronunciation! Native to my palet!

Thanks to TheHuntress for an excellent rat report. One other possibility for the excessive heat of the wine is the 1.5% alcohol variance. Just something to think about.

You speak truly, sir (at least in my experience).

Is there anything blended in to these, or are they 100% Tempranillo?

The 1.5% variation is only if the alcohol is 14.0% or below. If it is above 14.0%, the permissible variation is + or - 1%. Thus, the wine could be as high as 15.1%, but typically, people are much more careful above 14% since there is less leeway.

I’ve been to the winery and have purchased the '04 (still have a couple of bottles) Truchard makes some great wines and the Tempranillo is very good, at least the '04 was! I can tell you that what I know about Truchard is first they own more varietal acreage than any other vineyard or winery in the Carneros region. They sell to many many wineries in Napa and are very well respected among the wine producing community. The Tempranillo was a very nice easy drinking wine well paired with game (venison, rabbit, duck) as well as most beefs (Fillet Mignon would be a stretch) Love this wine and at ~11 bucks a bottle that value is very good, I really hope the Truchard will woot other wines they produce the Chardonnay, and Pinots are great as well…GREAT WOOT DEAL!

Yes, they are both 100% Tempranillo. - Anthony Truchard

Seconded! Thank you for the review! I hop you can lo into your thoughts again after this expert prod! Good questioning teacher this one :wink:

rpm, do you remember the Tempranillo from Gundlach Bundschu? Another Carneros winery. Reminds me. time to write up my notes…

Always thought it was 1% across the board. This is why I love reading these boards. Thanks.

EDIT: I meant “1.5% across the board.” Oops.

I find it somehow reassuring that I’m not the only one who thinks like this.

Sal is in the caves making wine today, but I would love to answer your questions. We are not trying mimic any other variety. In fact it is 100% Tempranillo because when we tried to do a blend it would take on the charaterisctic of the grape we blended in. If we added 5% Cab it tasted like Cab. We wanted a pure expression of Tempranillo and kept it at 100%.

Yes is in Volcanic Ash which is rare in Carneros but we have a few out croppings on the property. Let me know if you have any other questions, I would love to help. It is a very tasting wine. We just happened to make a little too much in 04 and 05.

Yes, he is correct about the 1% leeway above 14%. The 2005 Tempranillo however is only 13.9%. We are fairly truthful with our alcohol levels and at 13.9% I don’t think it is too high octane considering what is out there.

Yes, we have compaired them. Not too dissimliar in style between the Truchard and Gun Bun. Gun Bun is not in Carneros but both wineries are situated at the southern base of the Mayacamas and share simliar climate and soils.

Glad to hear from a fan. Yes, this is an incrediable value. My father, the farmer, sometimes plants varieties without to much forethought to marketing.

They are both 100% Tempranillo.