Turtle Beach Gaming Headsets

What’s the difference between a 5.1 and 7.2 channel headset?
ThunderThighs

Theoretically, a 7.2 headset would be able to decode 7 channels of audio plus 2 subwoofer inputs. This should give you a more gradual change in the direction of sound from front to back. An example would be if a car drives by you in the game, you would hear it pass next to you instead of the sound coming from in front and then suddenly switch to being behind you. 5.1 headsets do a good enough job for most to notice, however. The .2 part would suggest that the subwoofer channels were separate, so there would be a left and right channel for the low frequencies. Usually bass isn’t really directional, so it doesn’t matter where the sound is coming from. This would just mean the left earpiece could have different sub channel than the right one. I’m not seeing a 7.2 headset here though…

Good explanation! I understood the number of speakers in a Home Theater but not how it would apply to headphones. THANKS!

I have owned 5 of the PX5 headsets; not because I like them a lot, but because I have had 4 defective units. This surpasses all logic and mathematical statistics I have ever calculated in 24 years of continuous process improvement consulting.

Good thing I bought that extra coverage when I got it from NewEgg, who has better customer support too. I had to pay for return shipping every time, though. The problem was that they keep echoing across the transmit chat channel, but you can’t hear it on your end - you have to wait until your online friends start yelling at you to disconnect yourself.

The manufacturer refused to believe it was happening at first, but eventually relented and replaced it - twice, then once through NewEgg; after replacement #3, Turtle Beach admitted that they had a problem with defective patch cables that go between the Xbox controller & the headset (they don’t have wireless chat on the PX5). So everyone who complained gets the new style patch cord.

When it started happening again and I still had 4 months left on my extra warranty, the TB customer service department stopped responding to my e-mails. I had helped them identify the issue with accurate technical observations and they abandoned me. Nice.

Fortunately, NewEgg is A-OK and they treated me right - but the manufacturer acting like this is unacceptable. I kept the e-mail threads and can back up every aspect of this post. I refer to them as Turd Beach now to reflect their crappy customer service practices - and believe me, it does take practice to stoop so consistently low.

Otherwise, the design premise was promising in all of the features. It just failed to perform its basic functions on the Xbox 360. They eventually replaced the patch cord with a little box that allows wireless communications, but they would not give comp me one to make up for the misery.

Now they have one that is completely wireless, but if they had an ounce of decency, they would have recalled the PX5 and replaced it with the newer model, just like a lemon law recall.

Just thought I would add my two cents version. Bsmith1’s explanation is spot on and will be understood by most, I’m just adding my explanation in the way that my tech-challenged friends request when they say “explain it to me like I’m a two year old!” Just thought it might help some less savy wooters ‘visualize’ it. Mine is in simplest terms, ie. no crossover frequency or midrange stuff, etc. But I certainly don’t mean to step on any toes by adding another narrative. I’ve been a teacher most of my life and know this will bore savy folks but also know it will benefit others. Savy folks usually don’t start out savy so please don’t denegrate this attempt to help with a subject that’s so elementary to many.

A std. 5.1 home system consists of 5 speakers with 3 of those speakers in front of the viewer. The first one, called the “middle” speaker, is generally a smaller speaker that is placed near the screen, usually above or below it. This speaker provides the actor’s voices. It is placed near the screen so the voices, logically, sound like they’re coming from where the actors are located … the screen. The next two speakers, called “front” speakers, are generally larger and usually off to each side of the screen and, the greater distance each is from the screen, the better the sound separation. These speakers will provide (for this narrative) music and sound effects. The remaining two speakers are considered “rear” speakers because they sit behind the viewer, ideally at the height of the viewer’s ears or slightly above. This setup allowed viewer’s to experience the sound of a helicopter taking off with the sound initially coming from where they can see it on-screen and, as the helo flies toward them and out of view, the viewer would hear the sound transition to the rear speakers as the helo flew over their head and continue on behind them. This provided an excellent effect, however with only 5 channels of sound to accomplish this effect there was a certain ‘granularity’ if you will, to how smoothly the audio would transition from front to back. Then came 7.2 which provided 2 more sound channels for two “side” speakers to be placed one on each side of the viewer midway between the front and rear speakers. These two additional channels reduced the ‘granularity’ of the sound transition from front to back allowing the viewer to better ‘experience’ the sound of the helo flying ‘by’ them on the sound’s way to the rear speakers. Of course, a movie would have to be filmed in 7.1 surround sound, ie. 7 distinct sound channels, to provide the truest effect. I won’t get into audio/video receiver’s that apply sound matrixing to emulate 7.1 from a film shot in 5.1. Translating this to headphones, Bsmith1 described how the sound would transition more smoothly around the listeners ears/headphones. Also as Bsmithq alluded, the “.1” of 5.1 refers to the subwoofer, passive or active, that can basically be placed anywhere in the room because most subwoofers pump their sound into the floor and the viewer will get the appropriate bass effect/vibration regardless of the subwoofers placement. Bsmith1’s description of the “.2” in 7.2 and how the bass responds in the headphones tells the rest re: multiple subwoofers. 7.2 headsets are designed to provide more points/speakers for sound to transition from front to back just the way the 7 speaker setup in the home provides another speaker on each side to more smoothly accomplish the transition. However in my opinion, even though headphones provide good sound separation, they can’t match the feeling the viewer gets from sitting in a room and feeling the vibrations from good quality speakers positioned at their optimum heights and locations, with good separation between each.

Someone posted this before in a debate about surround sound head phones.
[youtube=IUDTlvagjJA][/youtube]
It was done with only 2 audio channels (left and right). The surround effect you get is caused by the volume in each ear and the delay it takes the sound to reach each ear.
Put on some headphones and give it a try!

Will this work with a PC or only with a x-box?

Thanks

The specs should list what headset works with what. Which model were you looking at specifically?

Ear Force XP500 with a PC running Win 8

Turtle Beach TBS-2044-01 Ear Force XLC Stereo Gaming Headset for Xbox 360 & PC

Will this one work on a laptop?

Just wanted to add my two cents. Unlike the poster above me and my roommate have both enjoyed our headsets tremendously with no quality problems- and I know our neighbor enjoys them quite a bit too (or rather the more peaceful sleep she get’s now)!

However, be forewarned if anyone is trying to plan ahead- these will not be fully compatible with Xbox One (not sure about PS4) until they start shipping the adapters in early 2014 (at which point probably better off buying one of the Xbox One editions)- obviously won’t apply to everyone.

Dude, it is a know issue with all the turtle beach headsets having that echo problem. But is easily fixed, just unplug the mic cord comming from the headset and re-plug it in, the same thing with the controller mic plug… that would fix it most of the time, if that still didn’t work, then i would unplug the unit’s power and power it back on, and it worked again. Yes, it is a pain in the arse, but the product i’d say is perfect in every other way

Did a quick google. Says that it could work with PC, but you have to have some specific equipment.

Source: http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/entry/830517212/

It could work, but you’ll need to get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter for the mic to work.

Got money to burn? Astros FTW.

Not sure which model you’re specifically wondering about, but the PX3 I own do work with a PC.

To set them up, you plug the USB port between the PC and headphones, turn on the headphones, and then double tap the power button, to put it in PC mode. You can also plug the transmitter into the PC and switch it to PC (instead of PS3 or Xbox) and it will work wirelessly. I don’t do that because I don’t want to unhook the transmitter every time I switch between platforms (consoles are next to each other and just have to flip the usb).

I picked this model because they’re wireless, connected to all 3 models (some of thier headphones work only for a singular platform) and were inexpensive. They’re comfortable pick up voice well, and allow me to mute myself or change the volume on chat/game separately.

However, I’ve been running into an issue with the transmitter where it only produces sound in the right cup. I think it’s something to do with the audio in cable, but I can’t pinpoint it.

I bought the PX3 wireless headset and it’s been very good to me. Starts sounding scratchy if you’re near an operating microwave, though.
Make sure you know that the 2 USB cords they give you are not interchangeable. One is for charging only.

Refurb XLC is 10.95 shipped from Amazon with Prime: http://www.amazon.com/Ear-Force-XLC-Stereo-Headset/dp/B008PWRYGS. It also doesn’t have a great ratings average based on Newegg responses. Ear pieces seem to break off easily.

I was so happy to see that mine (Turtle Beach Ear Force DX11 Gaming Headset) arrived today as I have been headset-less for a week. Sadly the happiness did not last as it came with everything but the Ear Force DSS Digital Audio Processor… my luck. Still useable but…