Twisted Oak Calaveras County - 3 Pack

I was lucky enough to get in on the tempranillo 3 pack when it was last offered… really enjoyed it - food friendly, and very smooth. It was a hit with all who tried it at the dinner party that I brought my last bottle to. I haven’t tried anything from the Twisted Oak but the tempranillo, so I’m definitely in for one, considering two.

Oh i’m interested! Love your wine in for a couple of sets.

The 2006 is a bit “bigger” than the 2005. The 2005 came in with the flavors at a lower brix (sugar content) so the alcohol levels were lower, creating a leaner wine. 2006 hit a little harder and faster in the ripening so its a little more on the fruit, a little less on the leather and tobacco. But both still have that spicy Tempranillo character. This is all relative, of course.

done and done. :slight_smile:
twisted are easily some of my favorite wines. automatic buys for me when i see them on w.w
hopefully will be able to visit the tasting room someday

Glad you liked the Temp pack! Thanks!

When you do, please do drop me a line (this goes for everyone here!) I can’t always be around but I really enjoy meeting wooters so I would at least like the chance.

Here’s a cool interview with the winery…note you can also see a pic of our host and all of his much-famed tallness (and the rubber chickens as well;-)

Also, a nice review of the '04 Tempranillo…can’t find any of the 06’ readily - any comments from the winery to compare?

And of note the winery list price total for the three bottles before shipping is $66 total.

A good deal on nerd-made wine and three varietals that I happen to love? Done and done:-) One for me!

“Nerd-made Wine” - I am going to use that! :slight_smile: Thanks!

Love this! I just joined and am thrilled to find wine appreciation! So happy to get the Twisted Oak! Anyone have an ‘experts advice’ on wine.woot? Thanks!!!

In for one!

So I haven’t tried any of these varietals.

Aside from me asking Google, may I have some personal opinions/testimonies about these varietals and these bottles specifically?

I, having a “young” palette, where would these be on the “learning vs tasty” sliding scale?

OK, I thought that was a woot filter for Syrah!

OK, that’s funny!

Wow! How can I pass up some wine that goes well with bacon, split pea soup, ribs, sausage, carnitas, etc.? I like this El Jefe guy.

and for The Spaniard? :wink:

Fantastic question, and I’m excited because you have the enjoyment of learning about these varieties ahead of you!

I didn’t really plan it that way, but these three varieties represent a spectrum of flavors and body.

The Grenache sits at the lighter end. If you are familiar with Pinot Noir you’ll find similarities (like the strawberry flavor), but the Grenache leans away from the musty PN and is more floral and bright. Grenache also has earthier characters.

In the middle is Tempranillo, which shares a lot of characteristics with Merlot, Cab, and Zin: berry flavors, peppery spice. Temp leans more in the cherry and leather direction. I mean this in a really good way :wink:

The Petite Sirah is at the heavy end. If there was ever a misnomer, it’s “Petite”! With PS you get dark berries and chewy tannins. And purple teeth! Really inky stuff.

I hope that other w.w folks will chime in with their opinions, but that’s the exposition in a nutshell.

I hear the Spaniard has changed lives…

I have two bottles, but haven’t popped them yet. I guess, since they were a bit of an investment, I wanted to enjoy them while they are more refined.

Petite Sirah is one of my favorites, so I think I’m destined to buy, though both of my wine fridges are full, and I really don’t know where to put them (summers w/o AC has claimed a few soldiers…so I guess I better get drinking).

I know The Spaniard has changed my life…:wink:

Every September we hold a BBQ at the winery for The Spaniard. At this BBQ (pork and lamb and goat roasted 24 hours in the ground) everyone gets to sample every vintage of The Spaniard. As of last September, I can declare that every vintage of The Spaniard is still developing in the bottle. Which is kind of scary of you think about it.

Speaking of Petite Sirah… one of the highlights of the year (well, I think so) is the Dark and Delicious Petite Sirah tasting in Alameda near San Francisco. (I know a few of you are planning to make the journey.) We pour there every year and always bring a vertical of our PS for everyone to taste (this time 2002 thru 2007). Info:

http://www.psiloveyou.org/events/dd-event-news/

El Jefe! More Spaniard!