Two Jakes of Diamonds Mixed Reds (4)

Two Jakes of Diamonds Mixed Reds 4-Pack
Sold by: Winston Winery
$69.99 $140.00 50% off List Price
2011 Two Jakes of Diamonds Cabernet Franc, Lake County
2012 Two Jakes of Diamonds Cabernet Sauvignon, Lake County

Wine.Woot will close on December 31, 2017

Read about it here

Both of these have been popular runs on woot as four-packs. Today we present them as a combo pack.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with them, here are a couple of videos of me discussing them:

[youtube=NcOYLOJMxl0][/youtube]

[youtube=3cBA3lexGpg][/youtube]

Here are the comments for the original offering of Cabernet Sauvignon.

Diamond Ridge’s high altitude volcanic soils are ideal to produce wines of intense flavor, color, structure and mineral energy, while its cooling afternoon lake effect preserves, resulting in Cabernet Sauvignon that is luscious in youth yet last decades in the cellar.

I have made some enigmatic wines, I know, but you won’t be scratching your head about this one. This is one of the most easily likeable Cabs I’ve ever made.

I don’t know if that’s good or not. I tend to make fairly austere wines that benefit from age, so I’m not used to wines that are this delicious at this tender age, but I do believe there’s no reason to imagine that this wonder won’t go a decade or two. It’s extremely fruity, but will undoubtedly develop a lot of dimensionality over time, if you can resist it that long.

From the Cabernet Franc original offering, here are some general notes:

Cabernet Franc is the father of Cabernet Sauvignon, leaner and with more depth. Our rocky soils restrain vine growth, exposing berries to our high altitude sunlight, which brings our bright white cherry flavors framed by firm tannins. We enjoy this wine with grilled wild mushroom pasta dishes or pork and plums.

Because of its proximity to Clear Lake, the site is also blessed with a “lake effect” – a daily visit from the cooling breezes off this deep body of water, largest in the State. The consequence is that theplum and cinnamon aromas the grape develops are conserved. The combination of rich fruit aromatics, firm tannin structure and lively minerality make this among the most complete and collectible expressions of Cabernet Franc in the New World.

Vineyard Notes: Diamond Ridge is located in a sunny high altitude site with rocky granitic soils which force Cabernet Franc to put its energy into pushing its roots down into the rock, resulting in a lively mineral energy in the wine’s finish. These conditions develop good color and firm but refined tannins which impart amazing age-worthiness.

Two Jakes grapes combined with Clark Smith’s wine making skills are truly a magical combination. All the two jakes wines are among my favorite woot purchases, and these are no exception. I have never had a bottle from Clark that I did not think was well worth the price.

You won’t see this offer on woot again, and the future is, to say the least, uncertain.

As an out-of-the-mainstream postmodern winemaker, woot has been the only flash site we could find that brings eno-supergeeks together into a forum. I have really enjoyed fielding questions and explaining the back story of the wines I make. You guys (you too, ladies) have tolerated and relished my nerdy wine chemistry and other technical rants, and I’ve enjoyed responding to every question.

I declare the woot Vinquisition!
Let’s get some more of those technical questions going here in wine.woot’s twilight hour.

If woot doesn’t serve your State, please call the winery direct. We will honor any woot offer direct from the winery. Call us between 9AM and 4PM Pacific time at 707-332-5552.

Christmas News Flash: If you have missed out on any woot offer, WineSmith will honor all past offers we still have in stock.

Could anyone comment on the suitability of these wines for (1) drinking soon and (2) people who would know a good wine when they taste it but don’t have the taste buds to determine there are “notes of chocolate and currants” in a wine?

I’ve seen so many good comments about Winesmith wines, but I need to convince the household this is a suitable purchase.

Even questions about Daytona Beach! I remember your nerdy side long before wine was in the picture (I hope)! :slight_smile: I hope that WD somehow is able to pull together what has been created on this site.

Looking forward to trying the Cab.
Last Wooter to Woot:
MarkL

Hmm… Never had this, but reading the reviews. The question really is will I make it to the New Year if I keep buying all this great wine!

Argh.

The question is 2 or 3 …
And based on the comments, is 10 yr hold then pop a good window?

Ok I’ll bite! I’ve always wondered about ageing wines in wood other than oak. I generally understand the different flavor profile you can get from new/old and I suspect people with palates more sensitive than mine can discern French/American/etc. I’ve recently tried a couple aged in bourbon barrels and while different, they were pleasant. So my question is what do you think other hardwoods (hickory, mesquite, pecan, etc.) and even Birch or fruit woods (Cherry, Pear, Apple) would do? How about the effect on white vs red?

All of Clark’s wines are great, but Cabs are my favorites. Couple of my earlier purchases were the 2006 Lodi Cab and 2008 Cab Franc. Been hooked ever since. Credit card is taking a heavy toll this month, but this IS Winesmiths. Literally, a must buy.

I use the link from woot ( http://twojakesofdiamonds.com ) to go the website - and it seems like the domain is for sale. Hmmm…

This one gets you there though:
http://twojakeswine.com/

I’m the guy in #2 above, and I will tell you the CS is excellent right now. I’ve had two bottles from my stash, and will let the rest sleep for a while. I have not tried the CF.

This is definitely a suitable purchase.

I seem to recall that wineries used to either make or age wine in redwood - thinking of some historical pics we had for the first Magical History Tour. RPM can provide clarity for sure.

Hi Clark!

What are your current thoughts on accompanying music to enhance the mood?

Love Clark’s wines and wanted to see Ohio light up.

I had a 2008 Diamond Ridge Cabernet Franc a couple of months ago that I got in one of Clark’s mystery boxes. It was absolutely delicious. I’m also not good with describing particular flavor notes, but this was one of those wines where you can pick up on different things and have fun discussing them with the household :-).

As for this one being ready to drink I don’t know. I have 4 bottles of the Cab Franc already and wasn’t planning to open any just yet, because Clark’s wines age so well. I’m considering getting a couple of orders here so that I can taste them over a wider range of time.