Two Jakes Petite Sirah (4) - Clark Smith

The magic of the interwebs!

Of course, you now need to publish the whole paper/ode …

I’m afraid that masterpiece did not survive 7th grade. But Clark and I shared some classes at Seabreeze Junior High School (Daytona Beach, Florida, home of the “Fighting Sandcrabs”). I don’t have a solid recollection of him at Seabreeze Senior High (if he continued there we would have graduated together in 1969).

When I first saw the name Clark Smith around here I immediately thought of the guy I knew in jr. high, but of course, I figured “what are the chances it’s the same person”, especially with the last name of Smith being rather common. But then I watched the video posted earlier in this thread and I thought “that just might be the same person”.

In 9th grade (which was still jr. high at that school), Clark ran for the class president with some rather “revolutionary” leanings. Each of the 3 classes had separate times in the auditorium when the candidates had a chance to proclaim their virtues. The 9th grade session was particularly lively when Clark gave his speech (with a banner overhead proclaiming “Just a small revolution”. The 9th graders were absolutely certain that Clark would easily win the election, and when he didn’t we were certain that the counting had been rigged against him.

That is too wild! Pictures would be great, but I think JHS is probably too early for yearbooks and similar sources.

I would make a wisecrack about Florida and elections, but I’ll refrain.

We actually did have a yearbook. The 9th grade English class I was in was in charge of producing it. But I’m not sure if I still have a copy. My wife has gone though some “clean out the junk” phases over the years…

Could be. Actually I remember ripping off the CocaCola slogan: “Things Go Better With Clark.”

I also remember that speech. BTW, to make myself less nervous, I intentionally delivered the whole thing with my fly unzipped.

Clark, did you end up going on to Seabreeze Sr or did you head somewhere else after jr. high?

Actually, that year, Volusia County( later of the hanging chats) with its large population of rednecks and retirees who couldn’t care less about education voted all the money away from the school system, which was then disaccredited, meaning if I stayed, I might not be able to go to college. So in 10th grade I went to a private school in Birmingham, AL - a great school named Indian Springs where I learned to write and acquired my geekiness. Though it really started with Mr. Ruby’s algebra class at Seabreeze JH.

Clark never ceases to amaze…

TMYK; didn’t know that piece of Volusia Un-county history.

I lived there at the time, and I don’t recall it, either. There was a teachers’ strike in the fall of 1968 (early in my senior year) and I had one friend that jumped to a private school for a similar reason that Clark did.

Incidentally, I was recalling the classes I had with Clark in jr. high, and I know that all 3 years we were in the same science classes: the aforementioned 7th grade, 8th grade with “Meterstick” Martin (Mr. Martin was known for carrying around a meter stick and taking swings at your legs), and 9th grade biology (Miss Meyers).

I really like Clarks PS. I will pass in hopes it will come back in a side deal through somewhere else. I’m still irritated by woot/Amazon causing me not to pull the trigger anymore. I have some more, so I’m not that bummed out. This is a must buy for those willing to wait.

Just call the winery and we’ll take care of you. 707-332-0056.

I believe I still have my copy. Let’s get together some time and leaf through its pages.