Ty Caton 2009 Petite Syrah - 2 Pack

a-men.

Where’s NightGhost when you need him? Isn’t he the one saying “don’t buy young wines, let someone else cellar them for you”? So if these are too young to drink now, what are the chances I’ll be able to get these in the required 5+ years they need to age in 2016? And will they still be $25 a bottle? What might they be then, to have an idea of how much I’m saving by investing in cellaring them myself?

[edit]Great. The day before a wootoff he decides to retire. Anyone else can chime in with that perspective on this Ty PS? Richardhod? TooOldForThis? Beuller? Bueller?

I hope he will be back sooner than the usual 5 to 10. :wink:
Kidding aside, I hope it is not for reasons of misfortune that he will be missed here, and it is understandable that life outside of the wonderful world of woot sometimes must take priority.

NightGhost is permanently retired from woot :frowning:

Not sure what it was all about - he was such a frequent poster, apparently on all the woot variants, I suspect he was an woot employee. Perhaps he found another job. He was certainly a pleasure on these boards.

WHAT??? Is this an April 5th joke???

Get a second job just to pay for the wine?
Untrain your palate back to box o’ wine?
Have someone else buy it and store it for you until you have the money and then buy it from them?

Yes, very sudden. I’ve been scarce for some time, as school and other commitments have kept me too busy to post as frequently (or consume and hence buy as much) as I did last summer, but I’ve never considered just leaving altogether. I imagine there was some significant change in his life to make him leave so abruptly, so here’s hoping it was for the better and not the worse.

After all of the talk about Ty I have to try this. In for 1

Anyone who misse out on this can contact me. I have too many bottles of it, and will be happy to wootleg some on to those in CA or around.

I have too many of these, and only need a couple of bottles to cellar. I’m not drinking mine for about 8 years, and if not then, after the dumb period in about 20+

It’s really really bitter when young (I tried the 08 last July, the first PS I’d ever tasted, and the tannins were like lemon pips. I hope it will age to something round and tasty like the Turley 99 I tasted a year or two ago. But I don’t want to cellar 7 bottles… so you have some leeway :slight_smile:

The 2009 Ty PS is $44 on the website, so $25/bottle on bottle is 40%+ off not even considering shipping.

Oh wait - it’s Ty - rhymes with “autobuy”.

Guess the SIWBM won’t last for this one.

Me too. Though I suspect it may have been a SWMBO said “it’s woot, or me!” and he realised he may have been a little overinvolved!

We can enjoy this community, but there are limits… he was fanatically into it, perhaps too much. Still, it turned out he’s a decent and intelligent fellow who like to learn about things, and I wish him the best of luck!

I have it. Most people say you should only drink good PS after 5 years, until 10 or so years when they go dumb (then after the dumb period at 20+ years). I couldn’t drink the 08, even after 6 Vinturi pours, and even a day or two later it was still very bitter-tanniny. But 23andme.com tells me I taste bitter more than some, which explains why I hate American IPAs and am ambivalent about certain kinds of Brussels Sprout.

You guys you love young, tannic acohol wines while still young may just not taste as much bitter as others… and so PSes may be amazing to you at younger wine-ages than most!

Fie on the SIWBM. You only turn 50 once.

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: brandje
Speed to first woot: 2m 3.040s
Last wooter to woot: LoonBoarder

Am I missing something? Love PS and bought 6 of the 08 after all the Woot hype. Even with decanting it was average at best. Maybe too young?

Will buy likely(a sucker I guess) but for my money $18 for 2005 Peachy Canyon PS blew Ty away…

Any thought? Bad bottle??

This is great information to know and helps put some of your CT notes into perspective. Thanks for sharing, I wish everyone had this kind of knowledge about their palate!

So, I have a question for all of you. Just last week I made my first wine.woot purchase with the Woot Cellars 2nd Prize. I have decided to make wine a hobby and like any hobby I pick up, I am ready to dive in head, or wallet, first.

I am wondering if any of you can tell me some wines that I should be on the lookout today during the woot off. I have not yet had enough experience to say exactly what I like, except to say that I enjoy red wine and my wife enjoys white. So really I am open to any suggestions that any of you would consider an autobuy if it were to appear today. Thanks for the advice and happy wooting.

I will think it was for good reasons, like a hefty pay hike that comes with more responsibility than allows for being able to spend time here.

Not to be a vulture, but maybe he worked a deal with WD to put his cellar up on the woot off if he needed to raise some cash for non-woot purposes.

I’m really on the fence with this. If I could drink it now, I’d be in for 3, but I just don’t want this taking up space for 5 years. hmm…

I’d say go crazy with this woot-off and try different reds and whites. I could list some wines I have enjoyed and others could do the same, but really it comes down to yourself and your personal tastes. I will say if the Hahn Pinot Gris and Chardonnay selection comes up again, I’d grab that for your wife. thought the CG Di Arie Barbera was very tasty too. I really enjoyed those and I wouldnt be surprised if they showed up in this wootoff.

Or if you want to be financially savvy, I’d recommend hitting your local favorite provider and try some $10-12 bottles and try different things at a single bottle and then hitting up the next wootoff.

But if you’re keen on woot (and there’s no reason not to be), just try popular wines and read the comments. I’ve never had a wine from woot I was utterly disappointed in. At worst they were ‘OK’. The same cannot be said for blind buys at my Specs.

Wine wooting is exceptionally fun, however. You’ve been warned.

Did you have any of the other bottles? We had some last may, and even though it definitely would benefit from a lot of time, I didn’t get that bitterness, and I’m very sensitive to bitter flavors. Agree about the tannins though. It ends up feeling a little less structured than it should when drunk young.

I’d say this is like most of Ty’s wines - you can drink it now and enjoy it, but you really shouldn’t. I just have problems keeping my hands off of it.