Winery website

Facebook
Twitter
Yelp

Previous offer:
9/17/10 (2008)

Courtesy of CJ:

Join or create a WW Gathering now!

Very tempting since I really enjoyed the 08’ but my wine budget is gone and rack is full so maybe in a woot-off I will get a second chance.

Although last year it sold out so probably not.

BTW. its $26 a bottle on Ty’s web site so this is a solid deal at half off.

This stuff is the shizzle! You won’t be sorry.

Ty Caton 2009 Racchus Reserve Red - 4 Pack

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: MarkDaSpark
Speed to first woot: 2m 8.637s
Last wooter to woot: HeartbreakRidge

Thought for sure I missed First sucker! :happy:

This will always have a special place in my heart, as the 2008 Racchus was my first-ever Wine Woot.

That said, I think the '08s still need some more time. It’s good, a bit earthy, but I think the flavors could still use more time to develop. Absolutely needs to decant for a little while to open up.

So, while I can’t fully compare this offering to what I have on the rack, it’s certainly a good QPR. Worth one click of the Yellow Button if you’ve never tried Ty before!

Looks like it’s $26 a bottle on Ty Caton’s website.

I saw Ty Caton, loved the Racchus White, so I blindly hit BUY!

Hope I’m not asking for trouble. :slight_smile:

Agreed. One of the best QPR wines woot has had since I’ve been been here (4yrs).

Great wine. Buying more.

Ty Caton is an auto buy for me. Great wine maker. In for 1!

Last year’s Racchus Red Reserve was Petite Sirah based, so I guess this should taste very different.
PS. I think the label design is improved this year, making it more presentable.

Different mix than last year, I’m curious how they compare.

44% Merlot, 31% Sangiovese, 14% Petite Sirah, 11% Zin

36% Petite Sirah, 23% Syrah, 16% Merlot, 9% Petite Verdot, 9% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Cabernet Franc, 3% Malbec

I missed out on this wine last time - I think my job may have gotten in the way of my internetting or something.

I’m happy to jump in this time around. I’ve very much enjoyed Ty Caton wines from Woot in the past, and for less than 20 bucks a bottle, this seems like a no brainer!

Hmm, color me equally interested. I like the '08 but haven’t been head-over-heels in love with the bottles I’ve tasted thus far. Still have 3/8 on the rack waiting to be opened…

Anyway, I’m quite curious to hear how the '09 compares as well. The addition of Sangiovese and Zin to this year’s blend really intrigues me in a good way. Hopefully Ty will chime in here in the morning!

I really enjoyed the 08, and in fact I have an open bottle now that’ll likely be gone in 24 hours. On the other hand this 09 contains almost 3x the merlot as last year’s, and I am not a merlot fan. Can someone who’s tasted this push me off the fence?

Wow, I must have missed something with this wine. I bought 8 of the 2008 vintage, and I’ve had two of them. My CT scores were 84 & 85. I was quite disappointed with this wine. I recall both bottles having a fizzyness to them, which was very strange. I was hoping it was just the one bottle, so I tried another one a few months later, and it was also fizzy. Sorry I don’t have a more detailed report, but in general I like bold wines, such as petite sirah, or a full-bodied cab. I’m hoping my future Racchus wines will be better. Maybe I just got a bad couple of bottles?

Based upon my recent visit to the Sonoma tasting room, I’m looking forward to trying this blend.

Not really a Merlot fan, but most definately a Ty Caton fan. Have given this one a shot and bought 2 4packs. Hoping for complexity and tastiness.

In for two. Good offering, and importantly it’s cooled off enough I think in Texas so it won’t cook before delivery. The heat kept me from making Amy orders.

i hope this is not sold out before ty has a chance to talk about it on the board…

the 08 is one of my favorite wines. i put it a 92 on my CT notes and thought it was up there with some of the $60-100 bad boys in my collection…this is my personal opinion and may not reflect others.
im sorry to hear so many folk had spritz problems but thank goodness i never had.
im in foooooo sho.

side note i went to visit Ty’s winery this past spring but showed up right when they were closing. i may have seen the man himself and he probably assumed i was just another napa wino looking for a last call fix. i will be there next time i visit earlier.