Ty Caton 2009 Racchus Reserve Red - 4 Pack

Make sure to check the blend before you buy this one. Not for everybody. Definitely not your cab lover’s type of wine. I loved the Field Blend, The Ty’s Red, the Riverbench Merlot. Found these these to be not much like any of those. More fruity to go with the label.

Good god, this is gonna be a expensive day, 2nd buy already and only 7:50 L.A. time

+1 Would really like to buy 2, but need to hang on to my monies for what else may pop up!

Must save $$ for daughter’s wedding (but that’s more than a year away), so new wine buying rule imposed–only buy favorites! What happens next? Kent Rasmussen Esoterica, Scott Harvey Old Vine Zin and now Ty’s Racchus? Wine David you are a cruel man (but in a good way)!

Resistance is futile… in for one.

Hate to be the dissenter here, but I did not like this wine. I got it last uear (probably Sept). To sort of give you a point of reference, I typically drink Merlots or Super Tuscans such as Barbaresco, Barberra, Amarone and Barollo.

I too am trying to show some maturity…I am in for one only, because I want to be sure I can continue to buy what may come up as this potentially VERY expensive day progresses.

See? I can do it…I can do it…oh bother!!! I should have gone for two!!! I just KNEW it!!!

No! No!..we are ok…just be patient! It will pay off! Buying one was the correct and principled thing to do…you know…conservative.

Yeah but! Yeah but…

Sit back…relax…that’s it…now…just wait a few minutes…

Ok…sniff I hope you are right…

If I didn’t have any Blizten and Tytanium left I would be in, but I’m holding out for some Corison or some more Scott Harvey…keep bringing on the big guns!!!

Missed the last red so decided to buy first this time and then read the comments-Really liked this last time around so in for three!!

No Maryland! :frowning:

This is drinking great right now! Just had a bottle last night with some pasta marinara and it paired amazingly well! In for a few more, can’t get enough Ty.

I love this - the 2008 was well-received but I think this is even better. Definitely falls into the auto-buy category!

I think it’s less complex, but a higher QPR. I actually prefer Racchus to the Ty’s Red because of that. It’s more of a table red vs. a red blend.

any comparison of this (blend of Merlot, Sangiovese, Petite Sirah, Zinfandel) to the Blue Nomad Wine Company Rockus Bockus recent offer (blend of Cab Sauv, Zinfandel, Syrah, Malbec, Merlot, Petit Verdot)? i understand that the main grapes are different, but i am really asking for a wordy description involving impressions, tastes, fruits, and other formal lingo.

thanks

good timing on this the wife keeps pulling the cork on my last order only have a couple left. In for TWO.

The Rockus is less fruit forward and more heavily oaked. The acidity is about the same. I think the flavor profile of the Rockus is more similar to the Ty’s Red than the Racchus. It’s been a while since I’ve had the Racchus, but I had Rockus a couple nights ago. I enjoyed both

They are both great, but I would say the Racchus was definitely more fruit forward than the Rockus, and to be a little more balanced than the Rockus.

So tempting to try this, but I must say no. I gave out Blitzens for christmas, most people liked it but I wasn’t so enamored. So many people have such good things to say about Ty’s wines that I’m going to sit on (not literally) the rest of the Blitzens for a while in the hopes that they improve. I wanted to try another Ty wine just to see if its just the Blitzen or if I’m just not a fan, but I’m really holding out for a Scott Harvey mixed case. Really wanted one around the holidays but just didn’t see it come up.

With that being said, if theres anyone in the Houston area who wants to swap a Blitzen for a Racchus, then let me know! :slight_smile:

I completely agree with this take on the two wines. I have had both recently, and prefer the Racchus Reserve Red (drinking very well now, IMHO).

If you were just so-so on the Blitzen, you will like this wine. This is much more ready to drink now then the Blitzen is. The Blitzen needs time in the bottle, while the Racchus needs time in my mouth.

Oh my goodness! That was way too close! Had trouble signing in and nearly missed this. Have had one or two of Ty’s wines, including the Blitzen, and have enjoyed them. Can’t wait to give this a try.