Ty Caton 2009 TyTanium - Two Pack

This is definitely the ty that will keep you coming back.it roped me in several years ago so much so that I (gasp) even paid full price through the vinyard.

Sweet lordy

panning = criticizing strongly

Independent reviews are often hard to find. Get googling and post some here!!

just look at or ask the preferences of the reviewer and work it out from there. Goes fr CT as well. What else do they like, and do they make cogent analyses?! I suspect the mediocre reviews come from CT users who prefer a European balance to their wines a little more. One is mine, and that is certainly true here. This doesn’t make them wrong, nor does it make the fans of Ty on this board wrong either!

Isn’t it interesting though, that CT reviewers give favorable review about 2006 Ty and criticize 2009 rather harshly?

At winery prices it is an easy pass IMO, but at woot prices it is a no brainer. I have not had this vintage but the other two that I have had were quite excellent. Just not $100+ (at the time) a bottle excellent.

I would think the 2009 is a bit too young to be drinking now. This is usually a huge wine that needs some time to be fully appreciated. Again, only my opinion as I have not yet had the 2009. When I drank my 2006 bottle I thought it needed more time to develop.

Different people! And, if you notice, people are drinking the 06 now, once it’s had time to age and integrate. the 06 is drinking in its window now (early window?), but the 09 is way too young for a Cab blend with any pretensions to quality! All the winemakers and critics I know will say that :slight_smile:

My CT review of the 09 was meh because it’s too young, and on the strength of what I could predict (and his other wines), and my European bias, I gave it a score. which may go up in 3 years! Especially if I get to taste a bottle of Klez’s 06 :slight_smile:

For me, this is an must buy. I only bought 2 of the last release and regretted it after opening the first bottle. I believe the blend changes so this is probably different than bottle I still have, but Ty knows how to make great juice.

Last wooter to woot: senorwilli

I’m sorry but that is too high-dollar for me. I would pay $40-50 but can’t go $70. Let me know if price drops as the flavor sounds good.

Sold.

In for 1, my first Tytanium.
Thanks for the informed opinions folks.

though his retail prices have doubled in 4 years, this is $70 for TWO!

wine perv! :stuck_out_tongue:

Jebus!

Tytanium is my favoritest wine EVER.

But I spent my crumpled dollars on xmas junk. Yeah, yeah, it’s the season when it is better to give than to receive, but it’s Tytanium! Really, really wish I could do this…

So, getting an $80 bottle of wine for $35 isn’t a good enough deal for you - more than 55% discount? You’re not going to see a lower price. This was up on Wine Spies a week or 2 ago for $42/bottle and I almost bit then.

I’ve had other vintages of the Tytanium and loved them.

Buy as much as you can. Had the 2009 Tytanium two months ago at the tasting room and couldn’t resist buying a bottle for the night. Fantastic deal for fantastic wine. In for three!

Maryland now allows wine to be shipped from out of state. The law was effective July 1, 2011. I don’t know what needs to be done to allow it, but we want wine in Maryland!

You will not be disappointed the hardest thing to do is wait to drink it it need to be laid down for a few years I have a couple bottles that I try not to look at that are 5 years old now

your link took me to CT 2008 Racchus (but didn’t see a comparison of wellington style). that’s really what i was asking (style of tytanium vs style of victory). i tried the racchus 09…it was ok, but nothing i was tempted to revisit soon (maybe next year? or a few years down the road?). i enjoyed a meeker cab franc (previous woot offering), and napa cabs have a nice appeal. i also enjoyed a pellegrini 09 pinot noir (RRV)…different animal, but just to give an example of the types of wines i have recently enjoyed. i’m new at this wine thing, and i’m curious about what the fuss is about. but i’m thinking that i should start with an older production…

thanks for sharing your experience!

IMO the CT reviews for this wine are of almost no value. This wine probably needs at least 2-3 more years of bottle age before it approaches my kind of drinkability. But, I am very biased against drinking wines like this young, so if I do buy this, I probably won’t even think of opening a bottle before 2015.

I haven’t tried this vintage, but I fell in love with the 2006. It was incredible!

Some of Ty’s other wines haven’t impressed, but I would buy this bottle in a heartbeat if I still lived in the US. :frowning: As it is, I’m debating whether to buy and have it shipped to my mom’s place.

To those who are on the fence I say, ‘You only live once!’

Edit:

Also – I tend to agree with those who recommend aging, I didn’t open my first bottle of the 2006 until 2010. Each bottle was successively better after another 6 months. I probably should have given them another year or two but I had to drink all but my best bottles before I left. :wink:

In the review I compare the racchus with the wellington duke (his cheap one), but the comparisons in general go up the tree all the way. Peter Wellington aims for a European style with American fruit (hybrid, but trending European, restrained, structured), though wiht each wine he tries something a bit different. Ty Caton OTOH seems to work to his one house style, which he finds is very popular: smooth, silky, fruity, with a zing to it. Less guts, but more polish! It’s two excellent exemplars of two very different styles, both made with very good fruit.

For learning I’d recommend that you don’t buy an expensive wine you don’t know you’ll like, especially if it takes years for it to come into its own. Instead, Work out what you like less expensively, then take a plunge on the really high stuff later! Mind you, there are lower limits, and if you’re serious about wine I’d start at $15-25 as below that it can be a lottery. That’s why I liek woot. I can get $50 bottles for $25! Beware though, some cheaper wines are better than some more expensive ones :slight_smile: That’s the fun… and we all have different tastes.

Tastings are very useful! Taking notes in restaurants and at friends’ too. Reading reviews and understanding the processes and issues in winemaking helps. Some recommend subscribing to the “wine spectator” or “wine enthusiast” magazines.
I’ve learned a lot from some of the old hands here at wine.woot, and it’s increased my understanding of my tastes and the complexity of my understanding 1000 fold in a couple of years!

Read in between the lines of people’s tastes. Get to know the controversies, and what the sides are, and whether you prefer sides, or just to taste across the board. Some wines are a lot less accessible than others to new palates, but open up in richness once you get experience! Our tastes evolve together a lot :slight_smile: At the very basic level, new wine drinkers often like sweeter reds, and fruit bombs, but after a while they pall as the palate wants something a little more complex and challenging!