Ty Caton Mixed Red (3)

I hate wine.woot sometimes… it’s like they know when I am trying to save money and that’s when they decided to put up a deal I’d love to get 3 of… I guess I’ll have to live with 1.

Ty’s wines for me are a must buy. Last time my wife and I drank a Ty’s Battlefield Syrah it cured my wife’s sore throat. True story!

Wine does amazing things! Can I put this on my testimonials page? FDA approval?

Decided to go in on this deal. I probably would have gotten an extra set if it was a little cheaper but regardless of QPR vs. other deals, I know that I cannot get any of these 3 specific wines/vintages for less anywhere else. In the end, I’ll care a lot more about how they drink than what I paid for them and I’m confident that I’ll enjoy the way they drink.

You know what woot’s slogan is? One deal a day. Price is pretty much by definition an important factor in finding a deal. If it was simply will you enjoy the wine, then I am sure there are countless three-figure Barolos that I would not be disappointed with. Yet, that isn’t a deal or why I check woot.

Besides when the winemakers come in and chat, which is why I come here, the discussion has pretty much devolved into those who defend woot and those who are critical, and no one can be in the middle.

Back in the glory days of woot, you could buy a wine and pretend you had a shot at being a lab rat, and part of the discussion. Nowadays, it is the same people who are always privy to the woot gatherings, tours, etc. Or hang out at the tasting room every other weekend. That is great for Californians and others with tons of disposable income, but it doesn’t sell us once-in-a-while, but always browsing the forums, people on the wine.

It just seems like a club that I am not part of, and if I dare be critical of a deal, I am given arm-chair economist reasons about how in the glory days we got better wine (which tacitly admits this isn’t as good of a deal as it once was while simultaneously saying it is a good deal). What is the response? Go try and find a bottle of this quality at the supermarket.

AGREED! That is why I am here in the first place. That doesn’t negate the QPR of the discussion. There are emerging AVAs and wineries that are delivering great wine for a song. Since the consumers on woot are prone to seek out deals and not just go buy plonk at the grocery store. So those responses mean little to people seeking the best value.

I don’t want to come off as critical of this offering. I absolutely love Ty Caton, and he has been able to increase his prices due to his, deserved, popularity. But, can we just stop with the same 20 people who were “randomly” labrats before, always can comments on the new wines, and are instantly dismissive on those who don’t see the same “value” as you do since we don’t know WineDavid by glance, and cannot reference our 3,000 bottle inventory each offering.

I’m going to leave this entire post alone except for this part. By your definition, you should be buying Gallo jugs since it’s the cheapest wine available. “Deal” can either be subjective or objective. Objectively, if you can’t find these wines for cheaper, then this is a deal. Subjectively, it may not be worth you buying because the price. You’re mixing the two and assuming that the subjective definition is universal. It isn’t by, well, definition.

You can’t be serious. Cheapest ≠ deal.
And it’s probably a good thing you left the rest alone, because it was pretty close to the mark. And I say that as one of the “in” crowd, who would recognize WD at sight, and vice versa.

I have to agree. Saw a single bottle of 2011 cabernet "winemakers cuvee for 19.99 just yesterday…

I don’t for a second think cheapest = deal. However, I do think that if something is available for cheaper than it is anywhere else, that is a deal. Price only matters when compared to other prices.

The part about the criticisms vs defense is accurate. But it exists because there are those who want to criticize instead of discussing the wine, just as the OP did. “I hate this place. All anyone does is criticize it. And then people defend it. Speaking of, I hate the way it is now and I used to have a chance at blah blah blah.”

Just to clarify, that price was only $19.99 if you purchased 4 bottles. Doesn’t deminish the deal, but you explicitly said “single” bottle.

Actually, that is is not their slogan any more, and hasn’t been for quite some time. It did, however, used to be their slogan.

Just to further clarify, that was a completely different bottle of wine than the three being offered here.

kylemittskus, just to be sure I understand you correctly:

[list][]“cheaper” ≠ “deal”
however
[
]“cheapest” = “deal” [/list]

for example…
Gallo might be cheaper than a bottle of TY Caton, but its not a deal if you aren’t drinking the cheapest Gallo availalble…

My point is a deal is an apple is selling for $1-2 everywhere. You find the same apple for $0.75. That’s a deal. You may think that’t too much for an apple in general, but if it’s cheaper than anywhere else, than it’s a deal comparatively.

Sooo…We are agreed.

Decent wine; poor QPR.

Next.

+1

Is it bad that the FedEx man just shows up to drop something off and ask me - what? No wine this time?

No; it’s awesome.

Please do another offering of just the Ty’s Red - PLEASE!

I have plenty if you want 1 or 2 at cost.

And suppose your family doesn’t like apples. Suppose they like cigarettes. Is that a crime?