Ty Caton Racchus Reserve White Wine - 4 Pack

I believe they sold through the red completely in the original offer, and the winery is sold out as well.

This stuff is pretty good, but it’s incredibly difficult to describe and put in context for those who haven’t had it. I’ve gone through three bottles and still haven’t really gotten a handle on it.

The tasting notes I’ve seen on here and the winery write-up do a pretty good job, though. Essentially, it’s very aromatic - a little sweet and a little sour. Flavor-wise, there’s not a great deal of fruit, but there’s certainly something there; there’s a sweet floral component that’s hard to place; a little spice, maybe something vegetal; there’s definitely a creaminess, but not in a buttery or oaky way (I like “creme brulee” in the write-up, but can’t take credit for it). The midpalate and finish are full, and there’s a good acidity that slowly creeps up on you and clears your palate right at the end. Even with all that stuff going on, it’s not muddled or lazy - it still “pops,” a testament to the stupendous blending skills that went into it. In short, it’s incredibly complex but not particularly cerebral.

That’s not anywhere close to a comprehensible tasting note, but I guess that’s the best I can do. You really have to try it to understand. It’s not for everyone, though - my girlfriend is indifferent, and I’ve served it to guests who crimpled their nose a bit and politely asked for something else.

It’s really, I must say, a wine for Wooters. As interesting as it is easy to drink, an experience that will be thoroughly new but not wildly outside the box. Definitely K1-recommended, but don’t shoot the messenger if you hate it.

my wife and others went through the last batch of this like a hot knife through butter… you bet I am in for one… or two

It’s really, I must say, a wine for Wooters. As interesting as it is easy to drink, an experience that will be thoroughly new but not wildly outside the box. Definitely K1-recommended, but don’t shoot the messenger if you hate it.
[/quote]

I agree… sometimes it isn’t about the Brix or the acid or the residual sugar (all things I am learning about from the best of my fellow wine.woot!ers. Sometimes, it’s just… “I really like this!” This is that kind of wine.

Box? What box? Are you referring to the stack of woot.wine boxes cluttering my closet? I need to spend time getting INSIDE those boxes, lest they overflow…

Could anyone please explain to me the need to blend 10 different varietals in order to create a palatable wine? And the oak is seemingly as indiscriminate. It’s like, “Let’s throw all this shit together and see what we come up with.” Enlighten, please…

How about replace “need” with “desire” and “palatable” with “lovely”? I don’t think it’s about doing the minimum necessary to make a fair wine, and I doubt that’s what they were trying for?

Bought this the last time around. I bought one bottle out at a BBQ we were having at our vacation house in the Adirondacks with a group of friends… suffice to say the bastards drank my entire collection other than one bottle which I had left at home. REALLY good approachable wine

Those boxes are but a metaphysical construct - you must free your mind of such constraints.

May I politely refer you to my comment above? The unique complexity and character of this wine is a direct result of that blending. I’m the first person to worry about over-blending or muddying up a wine with a bunch of leftovers from other stuff, but this one is expertly done. Maybe the ten grapes aren’t all individually crucial to the blend, but they all certainly play a role.

Tasting notes are right on very interesting…I enjoyed it more at a 65 - 70 degree temp.

I’m visualising the simile here, so let me get this clear. Your wife and her friends got tanned on the sunbed, then dived into a swimming pool filled with this wine?

I do prefer a vintner’s objectivity as opposed to a subjective “lovely desire” when attempting to focus on a bottle’s wine-worthiness… so, can Ty chime in, or is he not available?..

Well, I’m pretty sure I saw boxes of wine at the store last night, and they looked like real boxes. And I know the boxes in my closet are real; SWMBO refers to them often enough. :wink:

Ty has been around before; here’s what he’s had to say. I suspect, because of the lack of schedule for a woot-off, there wasn’t a way to get him to participate this time.

The RS, as per Ty, is 0.3% or 3 grams per liter – it seems high, as if being used as a masking agent… when you hear the terms “creamy”, “viscous”, “creme brulee”, and “smooth” all in the same notes, would you not think this could be achieved by more traditional less-blended means?.. I feel this wine could well be cluttered and aimless, without distinction as far as its varietal profile goes… and, oh yeah, it’s on a woot-off…

67.25 to be exact…

.3% seems high to you?

I think (I think, so don’t quote me) that this is why this kind of wine is called a “field blend.” It is literally a grab bottle of whatever varietal happen to be growing in the field. If it is included, it is listed.

.3% is dry dry dry. 1% plus is where sugar can start to be perceived.

.4% or less, but also up to .9% (if balanced) is considered a DRY wine

wikipedia residual sugar