Unconditional Battle Creek Cellars Pinot Noir (6)

Unconditional Battle Creek Cellars Pinot Noir 6-Pack
Sold by: Precept Wine
$69.99 $120.00 42% off List Price
2014 Unconditional Battle Creek Cellars Pinot Noir, Oregon

Should the winery drop by, how does this vintage differ from the three prior vintages? Any challenges with those that were absent with the '14?

HI, I was going to ask “How long will this wine age?”, but then I noticed on the map that Ohio was clear which doesn’t happen often. Checked the shipping states to find out Ohio is not on the list and the wine is sold through Precept Wine. So that’s probably why Buckeyes ARE NOT on the list!! Anyway, other Wooters may want to know the wine cellar capability.

I’ve read that Rats have been few and far between lately but anyone with tasting notes on this? Been looking for some good Pinot like the Roessler Blue Jay from years ago. Less on the sweet (or should I say fruity?) side and more from the forest floor style (is that considered a ‘style’?).

Absolutely, with Pinot Noir, one could describe wine, depending on the appellation in which the fruit is sourced, as either more fruit forward or earthy. I tend to describe Pinot Noir’s from Willamete as more fruit forward (think red and blue berry fruit tasting) vs. a more Earthy style that you may find in, say a Carneros sourced Pinot Noir.
I can’t speak for the winery on this specific wine; this is generally what I have found in my experience.
Tempted by this offer, and likely winery participation would push me over the edge…

I think of Willamete Valley as more mineraly and earthy, Cali as fruit forward. Am I off base there? I know that’s generalizing regions, tho.

Well, not that I know anything at all, but that’s never stopped me from opining before. :wink:

I would reject both of these generalizations. There are soooooo many aspects that determine a wine’s profile, flavor and otherwise. Trying to blanket an entire region with the labels “fruity” and “earthy” is not going to get you very far, especially with a variety like PN that can (and often does with the “good ones”) express both very pure fruit and earthy/mushroom/forest/umami flavors.

With all of that being said, I’ll give a generalization of my own. Talking specifically about the two states (OR and CA), I would label OR as the state that produces a more Burgundian* PN.

*I’m not a huge fan of this descriptor, mostly because I think that it’s too nebulous to be effective. However, I used it. So, what I mean is that the wines from OR are generally lighter bodied, lower alcohol, and higher in acid than the CA versions. I FAR prefer CA PN to OR for this reason, although there are, of course, wines from both regions that go against that generalization. :slight_smile:

I bought the Harvest Moon a while back, btw…wondwerful…concerned about the shelf life od 36 bottles if I get this one also
The Harvest Moon probably has about 24 to 36 months to rapture
I suppose I could quit my job and become a wine tippler…anyone know how long I can store this one

I’ve bought 2 Woot wine offering this week, so I’m bowing out, although Oregon Pinot Noir is my favorite. Here’s a review of their 2011 release though to help you guys decide.

Thanks…not the bargain touted…wait for next one

Truth! But lately I have been enjoying Oregon pinots more. As far as Burgundian is concerned no Cali or Oregon pinots that I have tried taste like Burgundy. Maybe Burgundy with a sun tan :slight_smile:

Hence my dislike for “Burgundian” as a descriptor. Maybe “burgundian” is better. :wink:

I just had my first Biggio Hamina recently ('10). It totally changed my mind about OR PN – absolutely delicious. I have two more bottles from different vineyards that I’m quite excited about.

Thanks for reminding me I need more of those :happy: