Universal 10-in-1 Remote with 2 Outlet Control Switches

I think this means that at best you’ll get a 50ft range, not that it’s necessarily IR.

http://static.wooters.us/images/wooters-logo-tiny.png Woot Info Post
GUISE GL IF U GET BOC ROFL WOOTERS.US

Universal 10-in-1 Remote with 2 Outlet Control Switches [New] - $7.99 + $5 shipping

1 * National TV URS-12/4692 Universal 10n1 Remote w/2 Outlet Control Switches

This post is brought to you by Wooters.us, to help make sure pricing information on the product is available in the future. We are not run by nor affiliated with Woot.

I sure hope he found his answer with the link you provided.

I’d like to know that too.

Also, if anyone knows any details on these, are the outlets “appliance” or “dimmer” type (using X10 nomenclature – when used with compact fluorescent lights it’s best to use the appliance type rather than dimmer, to avoid damage to the ballasts or CFL tubes).

Also, does anyone know if there is a list of equipment that is compatible with this thing when used as a “universal” remote? I hate the way most televisions, DVD players, and so forth are pretty much useless without the remote, AND, the remotes tend to be fragile and easily misplaced (and I’d like to know where the heck is that special corner of hell where battery compartment covers for remote controls end up – probably out whooping it up with all those single socks that evaporate out of the dryer).

I checked the vendor’s web page for this remote and couldn’t find any of that info, or any links for more details.

The ad shows that it has to be a line of sight to make it work.

Is this Clapper ready?

There are not X10 compatible. They would definitely have the logo on the box if they were. Also, too cheap.

You can program it to control 10 different infrared devices. Like 3 TVs, 3 TiVos, an XBOX360, another XBOX360, and 2 receivers.

this has a max load of 220w, coffee makers usually run around 1200w.

so… yeah.

Note to woot picture guy:
Please take more pictures, and more detail shots. For example, the back of the packaging, the back of the controllers and Outlet Control Units.

On obscure product like this, where we can’t find the product website, we need all the information we can get. For example, a detailed picture of the rear of the remote would tell us if it was Radio Frequency since we would be able to see FCC ids and then look up the actual manufacturer.

There’s an FCC logo on the front of the package.
Perhaps this is a RF (radio frequency) device?

First, the green part above the socket looks like a night light. I own a similar product and the plug attachment also has a night light there.

My question is I don’t see where the IR receiver is on the plugs. I would hope they are RF so you don’t need line of sight to use them, anyone know?

For those looking for IR devices that will handle more wattage AND have switches on the units as well as the remote, you can find them on Ebay and at Radio Shack. I have a three outlet set, and while the remote is weak, the outlet units are large and robust. I use one to turn a fairly large air cleaner on and off. The main drawbacks are short range and they block both outlets (mine, not this woot).

Most devices with an infrared remote - especially recent ones - should be compatible in terms of signals.

Universal remotes like this usually are able to learn the different functions of a device even if it is not explicitly compatible. Can anyone confirm that this is a learning remote?

A couple things regarding those outlet power thingies, specifically in reference to home audio:

1. If you have a stereo or other audio system with a receiver (or separates, CD player, etc.), I recommend that you leave them on all of the time. It lets the circuits stay warm at their operating temperature - and it will probably sound a little better. Warming equipment up first helps, but it’s better to leave it on all the time unless low power consumption is very important (like in SoCal during the summer).

2. 200-220 Watts maximum through those outlets is not very much at all. A CRT or Plasma TV will easily exceed that without any help. A receiver or amplifier at an accurate 100 Watts RMS or more will easily exceed that, because the amplifiers inside are usually around 50% efficient - and there are still other electronics inside to power as well.

To find out the maximum power your receiver or amplifier can draw, multiply the value of its power fuse in amps (labeled “A”) by the line voltage at your house (120V in the US) to get its maximum power consumption in Watts (W). Any more power consumption than that and the fuse on your device will blow to save the electronics inside - it happened to me just the other day when I blew the 10A fuse on my amplifier. That’s over 1200 Watts that it was running at! You won’t see that in normal use with normal amplifiers and speakers, though.

So really, I wouldn’t want to plug anything much more than a lamp in to this - and all of your other stuff is probably on a surge protector anyway - which would kill these power switches in an instant with the loads you will have hooked up.

Besides, lamps are always the most inconvenient things to turn on and off. There’s no remotes and sometimes the switches can be hard to get to - well, unless you have one of those fancy-pantsy clapping ones.

another one of those well intended and badly designed remotes, with the least used buttons at the most convenient location. The pause button, which I think is the most used, or lets say, the DVR functions, are at the most inconvenient location, at the bottom.

derp derpppp

i dont understand why users on here dont understand simple logistics

its like a freakin Clapper
“clap on, clap off…the clapper”
use it for lamps and smaller electrical items, like it says not to exceed, so dont plug your coffee pot in or expect it to pop

my real question is, since it can program more…then i wonder where and how much extra outlet adapters are

I know a place where you can buy two extra outlets for just $7.99! And it comes with a free remote too.

In my opinion,

People already have a universal remote control with their cable / sat Box.

Maybe something like this would be more beneficial to people, I don’t really know, but here is another option for everybody!

http://www.amazon.com/Woods-13568-3-Outlet-Wireless-Converter/dp/B001Q9EFUU/ref=pd_sim_e_8

I hope this helps somebody…

Thanks

Actually it has two dedicated switches at the top to work with the corresponding two sockets. I highly doubt you’d be able to power on/off on more than those two channels.

However with an extra set or two (Buying 2 or 3) you should be able to control 2 or 3 devices together with either switch. So with switch one, power on your DVR & DVD plsyer, and with switch two, turn on a couple lamps.

Which again brings us to the question of the day: Is direct line of sight required for the sockets?

Can i use my Harmony remote with these? If so, this is pure win…