1 2006 Sierra Foothills Naggier Vineyard Petite Sirah
1 2006 California “Vineyard Blend” Petite Sirah
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offers:
10/20/10 (woot-off)
11/18/09 (woot-off)
9/1/08

PS et al, what are your thoughts on Ursa and these wines in particular? IIRC, these were thought of somewhat well and I know they’ve been here before…

Looks like PS really likes them from the comments on the last offering.

I recall the last offering getting rave reviews, but alas, I was amidst a fit of austerity and could not participate. I think this one might be worth a bite, though, if only as a self-reward for a productive and largely responsible January. :slight_smile:

Did the last offering consist of single vineyard bottles? Ursa turned me on to Petite Syrah. The 2005 offer was a bit more enjoyable than the 2006.

Wow, just drank the vineyard blend two days ago. Here are my notes:

Nose: a small amount of dark fruit with caramelized pear and an almost port-like quality.
Pop 'n Pour: Three different stages - velvety, muted dark fruit - then brown sugar, caramelized pear - then a long velvety dark chocolate finish.
As it opened for the next two hours, the bright and sweet notes disappeared, replaced with plum, raisin, and other dark purple fruit notes with the dark chocolate finish.

The sweet notes were not expected, but brought a very welcomed contrast and balance to the wine.

How long can these be cellared?

Awesome. I loved the last batch. Still have an unopened bottle.

I look forward to the arrival of the new ones!

You drank them?? I kept mine… they seem young for PS. I had one and am thinking of keeping the rest. Any opinions on how they’re drinking now?

To answer NG’s question, once out of the dumb period at some time between 7-12 years old, they’ll go to 20+ years, says Loweel. And the winemaker, last year (searches for link)

Here we are, these are keepers, big structured tannins, from the as-yet-unmentioned March 2010 wootoff!

If you haven’t got this already, I think I’ve found you reason to buy:

Look for the bear necessities
The simple bear necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife
I mean the bear necessities
Old Mother Nature’s recipes
That brings the bear necessities of life!

Well, it’s happened folks, I have crossed a line… I made the transition from Wine.Wooter to Kids.Wooter.

Today I had to choose between wine and a stroller, and the stroller won. SWMBO will double in qty. at the end of May, so I don’t think I will be partaking in many/any Wine.Woots… :frown:

I’m so sorry for your loss. You will be in our thoughts and we will hold a nice memorial service for your sanity. It was too young to go.

Since somebody has to ask…

Is it kosher?

For the Paso Robles what’s the effect gained by using 10$ french oak and 10% Hungarian oak vs using all french?

Booo, make the kid walk! I never had a stroller when I was a toddler!

want.

[uuuugggghhhh SIWB/DM].

I enjoyed the 2008 offering quite a bit. I don’t usually buy more wine while another shipment is in transit, but in this case I think I’ll make an exception. I haven’t seen Ursa wines in the stores around Conn. so I don’t want to miss this opportunity for more.

Can anyone describe what a 20+ year old PS will taste like vs its younger self? Obviously more integrated tannins, I assume the fruit dissipates a bit, but are you also getting new complexities and flavors a la an aged Cabernet?

I don’t recall what I observed from the last order (I gotta start writing this stuff down). However, other PS’s I’ve had tend to have some creosotey-phenolics that over time mute down into some nice leatherish tones and overall give the idea of your “well aged wine” balance that you’ll find in a cab-sauv heavy bordeaux-ish blend.