UVClean+ Portable Instant UV Sterilizing Wand

Posting this product during the COVID-19 pandemic is irresponsible and potentially dangerous to the current efforts being recommended.

Frankly, I am shocked to see this presented, thus promoted, on WOOT.

Educate yourself. There’s no quick fix, no magic pill, for this, so please don’t look for one or fall prey to BS claims.

You can do serious harm to yourself and others with BS like this.

Patience, understanding, consideration, and WHO recommendations…that’s how you endure and eventually persevere.

9 Likes

Are you trying to kill people, Amazon-Woot? Broad-spectrum UVC light can cause skin cancer and cataracts, at a minimum. Research is being done on far-UVC, a very narrow part of the spectrum. So far, it appears not to cause skin cancer, but effective in killing bacteria and viruses.

2 Likes

Listed in the “Candleholders” department; how appropriate. :slight_smile:

I don’t want any more kids but am afraid of having a vasectomy.

Does sterilization with one of these wands work as well, and does it hurt less?

Thanks.

6 Likes

I picked this up from Quora , so I can’t assure validity, but I does suggest that the pretty purple light should not be used by children and should not be looked at directly. In other words, use with respect and caution!

Balaji Cherukuri:
"It depends on the type of uv light bulb used .Basically there are three types of UV lights UVA,UVB,UVC.

UVA is generally harm less ,how ever direct contact with eye should be avoided its better use special eye goggles while working .

UVB is harm to tissue and also eye

when there is contact with eye causes inflammation sometimes even causes blindness. Most of the UVB is block by glass , our clothes etc.

UVC is most dangerous and it is used as germicide . Exposes to it cause inheritable genetic disorders and skin cancer etc ."

1 Like

Its actual length is around 14.7 inches long. They must be including the cable in the length.

The description also said it had 3 UVA and 6 UVC LEDs, which you can see in the pictures. (UVA are purple, UVC appear white)

It’s also worth noting, the beer flu is unusually resistant to UVC, and tests have found that it’s only about 70% as effective as ethyl or isopropyl alcohol after 1 hour of exposure.

I got one, but I probably will just “add” it to the current steps I take… i.e wiping down stuff with disinfecting wipes etc… I wouldnt replace one of them with this … ill prob use this as a first pass before wiping down… etc… eg wand over items, then do my usual steps… if nothing else , handy for setting my UV glue…

1 Like

With the power you would get from USB powered LED, you would likely get 10-100X the UVC from normal sun light. In a way that is a safety + because concentrated UVC without protective gear can damage you skin and eyes.

Yeah, you’re right…it even says “total length.” I’ll be shutting up right about…now.

Laughing my entire ass off (which should also reduce the germ count around here) ! :rofl:

2 Likes

UVC is typically filtered out by the upper atmosphere. It doesn’t transmit well through air, which is part of why it tends to produce an ozone smell: it gets absorbed by oxygen, breaking apart the O2 molecules and causing them to recombine into O3.

Humans basically never interact with UVC from the sun in any real way below orbital altitudes.

2 Likes

When I got the email that these were on here I immediately clicked on the link only to see them already sold out. Funny thing is I then immediately went to Amazon and found the exact same thing for the exact same price. Seams like everybody on here thought they were getting a great deal.