V. Sattui Riesling - 3 pack

According to the International Riesling Foundation’s Sweetness Scale, which considers the ratio of residual sugar to total acidity, the Early Harvest is “medium-sweet,” the White is on the sweet side of “medium-sweet,” and the Anderson Valley is literally right on the line between “medium-sweet” and “sweet.” So yeah, they’re all pretty sweet; though it also seems like the acidity is on the low side for all of them.

I just threw a fraction out there. I wasn’t being exact.

NY Rieslings are closer to the native German Rieslings than California Rieslings tend to be. Rieslings typically do better in colder climates.

Darn, I wanted to send these to my sister in Mississippi for a Christmas gift as she loves V. Sattui Riesling (esp. the Off Dry). But it’s not listed as a state that is available for purchase. There are quite a few states missing, in fact. Wonder why?

Are these are sweet as the Domain St. Michelle? Because these sound pretty tasty. Bottles look a little tall for that spiffy chiller over at the main woot.

For any of those wondering the difference between regions that grow Riesling grapes, in particular the USA:

Check out the harvest pH vs. the bottled pH. pH only goes one way–up due to ML fermentation–after harvest unless there’s acidification taking place as far as I know.

Kind of curious as to the stylistic goal here. Seems like they must have harvested pretty ripe with low acid, then added back a bunch of tataric to re-balance the wine. But why not harvest earlier to preserve the natural acid?

Hmm… no tasting notes or scores. Anyone able to find some?

Well, I was going to say they tried that, but the “Early Harvest” one has harvest dates of 9/15-10/25, compared to the other 2009 (the Anderson Valley)'s harvest dates of 9/15-10/22. It’s a big range, so obviously there’s plenty of variance to account for, but I’m not entirely sure what made the “Early Harvest” so early.

Also, I’m a little confused as to how they get away with describing the 23.5g/L wine as “medium-sweet” and the 26.4g/L one as “semi-dry.” But then, as Richard said, there’s no standard.

while I am a huge Riesling fan, and have been to the winery, I would not give any of my money to the marketing machine that is V Sattui and its owners … look it up and check out the castle he built up the road … bleh

I would never fault a man for making a fortune and building a palace. The question is how good is the wine.

Cheers

:Edit: That post just irks me…don’t forget how many thousands of people that are employed in California and the country across all sectors because of Sattui’s business and his castle winery, that kind of hard work and business sense should be praised but sadly in todays world it is not. Now I can only hope that the small boutique winery that i will also support on black tie Wed. won’t break my bank :wink:

Well, the Columbia Crest Riesling in the Bevmo 5c sale at the mo is also lovely. Off-dry like the Jana’s, though not as expressive fruit… really good peach and other flavours.
With great acid and length on the finish… And $14 for 2!

Edit: the Grand Estates one, not the inferior twin one.

Couldn’t agree with you more, awesome spot. I wish I could live there.

But sorry, not feeling like Riesling right now. Just wanted to get in on the V. Sattui love.

yeah, i mean, read this article about how mr. sattui has ambition and didn’t want to just sit on all the money he made from his wine, what a jerk don’t buy his wine, he’s clearly doing something too right by making all that money only selling wines direct from his winery [/sarcasm]

success comes for a reason. it’s not a bad thing.

I love Sattui’s wine, but I must say I prefer the sister wines of Castello di Amarosa over V. Sattui.

The pagan ball at the Castello is coming up! If you’re in the area it’s a riot - complete with costumes, dancing, wine tasting (or guzzling), and general merry making.

Finely, Riesling. I’m in.

Great article, thanks! This part struck me as interesting; "His idea to provide food as well as wine is a feature now “grandfathered” only to his V. Sattui winery because Napa County officials have outlawed the practice. "

What’s up with that? (asked in my best Cliff Clavin voice).

EDIT:
They also mentioned; “He does little advertising, and word-of-mouth continues to make his winery a success.”

That seems like an odd way to run a “Marketing Machine”.

EDITx2:
Last wooter to woot: chipgreen

Even though I’m still waiting for my InZINerator. Grrr…

I had the gamay rouge back in 1998, I think, on a visit to the winery - fantastic!

SWIMBO will be happy that I purchased something aimed at her. I can drink it (high praise for a sweet white from me), but she LOVES LOVES LOVES this stuff.

In for 3

Thank you–I could use some Reisling, but not the sweet kind…

Great response…I’ll second that!! If he made a fortune…then maybe all the sweat equity paid off making good wine!