Valpolicella DOC Superiore Ripasso (3)

Couldn’t of said it better myself. :wink: Maybe a trip to costco is in order. They generally have a number of Italian wines that are priced well just to get a feel for the region.

Have you been purchasing from small vintners or from the ones that are readily available in the US? This makes all the difference to me. I found a wonderful Vino Nobile whilst in Tuscany in May and had a case shipped to my house. More than doubled the price, but it was well worth it qualitywise. What I like about these Italian import offerings is the variety and uniqueness of the wines offered. BevMo doesn’t always suffice.

I completely agree that BevMo doesn’t cut it. I buy beer there occasionally, and that’s about it.

The Amarones I’m talking about are low case imports (300 cases-ish or less). I’m not really aware of any “mass-market” (for lack of a better word) Amarones. The process and associated cost along with the DOCG rules make large scale Amarone production impossible. I have heard of some “fake” or Amarone-style wines – much like the artificially frozen grapes for ice wine-styled wines – but haven’t ever had one.

Well, Trader Joes has some large scale imports available for about $15. They are ok, not great.

Am I missing something? I am new to this wine as I am sure many of your are to. Is this the traditional high acidic italian wine, or are we looking at a late harvest type wine?

A little from column A and a little from column B. I’d think of it as generally high acid Italian wine, but with a bit of added complexity and raisiny characteristics due to the ripasso method. imo, that’s the strength of the ripasso - you get the benefits of both.

We opened a bottle of this last night, and it was outstanding. I am not a fan of valpolicella, but my husband is, and even I loved it. I’m not enough of a connoisseur to really provide tasting notes or anything, but it was substantial. I poured two glasses, walked out of the kitchen for something, and when I walked back in, the kitchen was so aromatic. I’m only sorry that I only ordered one.