VanTop H610 10" 2.5K Mirror Dash Cam

VanTop H610 10" 2.5K Mirror Dash Cam

Does anyone know what type of internal power source this Dash cam uses? Guessing it is a Lithium ION battery? But I would be great if it was a capacitor instead. It get very hot where I live in the summer and it just kills batteries, all of my dash cams have broken apart because swelling up and expanding batteries. I guess I am luckily none of them ruptured.

1 Like

Capacitors lack the energy density to power such devices especially for sustained periods. Most dash cams that often need to operate for an hour or more run off of 5v (USB jack) or a stepped down 12v system (lighter jack). The latter is the case here with a 3.7 v 400mAh internal battery.

You probably do not want to keep a camera of any kind in a car that can reach 130+ degrees.

1 Like

Ahh thanks, sounds like from the FAQ it is a standard Lithium ION battery, but it clams it can reach 160 degrees (just not for sustained periods). I might be OK I just need to remember to keep my windows cracked on really hot days.

You only need to capacitor to run the camera for a short period of time like 1-5 seconds… Most dashcams (including this one) will run off the car power like you are suggesting. The problem is when your turn the car off, in most setups it will disconnect the power to the camera. The camera needs a secondary power source to finalize the recording file so it doesn’t get corrupted. You would also want this because in a bad accident it is very likely the car power will get interrupted. And you really don’t want that video getting corrupted. And you also may want to keep recording for 10-30 seconds after power is lost.

Some camera also have a security feature to wake up in the even the car is moved. Like someone smashing a window. Although I don’t see a lot of advantages with this because any one robbing your car will probably steal the dash camera as well. But it is an easy feature to add considering the dash cam already has a battery and a built in Gyroscope.

1 Like

Cameras do not run only 5 sec. You need images pre impact i.e. continuously prior to unexpected need. That CMOS and write to MicroSD are fairly high drain even if no IR leds. I think you may under estimate the circuit drain.

Short answer: yes it can

The energy density of some of the Chinese 3.7v lithium ion batteries are higher than NiMH. Not sure why US battery technology is lagging (Tesla aside).

1 Like