Vaughn Duffy Russian River Pinot Noir (3)

Man should not be buying but winery participation, small production, my favorite AVA, and rpm endorsement making this hard to resist! This sounds like a CA Pinot that falls squarely between an old and new world style which hits my sweet spot…sweating thinking of SWMBO signing for another box of wine…

This will sell out. Must order.

I too tried this wine. I was not as impressed with it, but that’s not surprising given the style that it is and the style I like. It’s clearly a well-made wine, very much in line with the RRV “terroir.” Light-med. bodied, very food friendly (likely much better with food). Sorry for the short rattage, but I’m on vacation, posting remotely. I would think that RPM and klezman would like this. I like bigger PN so this was well made, but not for me. :slight_smile:

Fair enough comments - this is a medium bodied Pinot Noir.

If you’re looking for the kind of huge (high alcohol, heavy-bodied, often fruit forward) California Pinot Noir that resembles the huge-bodied French Village level Burgundies of the past (which weren’t all Pinot despite the law, many had a healthy dose of Syrah or even Algerian red wine - a secret that made headlines some 30 years ago when word got out…), then you won’t love this. You won’t hate it, but it won’t be for you.

I think the wine will improve for at least another 3-4 years for those who like their Pinot Noir with some fruit and baby fat. Then I think another 5-8 years from now the wine will turn into something some would call “developed” or “interesting” or “complex.” 10 years from now we could be looking at something really special, or a total mess… We shall see! In general, I think the wine has the acidity to hold itself together for longer than most CA Pinot Noirs…

This reinforces for me the value of the 'rat. And particularly a rat+1 who I know likes her reds Pinot.

1 Have not had this before, or heard of the winery

2 Not lacking for Pinots in the cellar

3 More than I would normally pay (Hey - that’s why I’m here - oh, and the community, of course)

4 Great winery participation

Got some!

I am not normally a big Pinot guy but appreciate its food friendliness and broad appeal when entertaining.

I also really respect many of those who have already spoken in favor of this wine.

Close to hitting the yellow button but wonder if any that have tasted this wine could compare/contrast to D’ontspille(a Woot classic and one of my favorite pinots

Thanks!

Comparing this with the D’ontspille (which I thought was good at the price) is a little bit like comparing a very good Burgundy Village wine (e.g. a Nuits-St.Georges) with a simple Burgundy: this wine has a little less fruit on the nose, a much more bright berry fruit entry and better balance in the mid-palate. The finish is not as tannic as the D’ontspille; it doesn’t have the ‘edge’ the D’ontspille did. Altogether a more interesting, complex, and deeper wine, yet thoroughly accessible and drinkable.

It’s sort of like comparing David Noyes’ single vineyard RRV Pinots to the D’ontspille - from same family and similar in style, but playing in different leagues.

And more than justifying the difference in price.

Thanks!

Multiple posts from RPM = SALE

Bravo !

Neil, PM for you.

I must admit I am intrigued by this wine, I normally do not like Pinot. But was convinced I would like the Gazi…and I did. But now with winery participation and the comments by RPM, has me thinking I might “need” to try this… what do you think?

Info post:
All tasting notes for this wine have been cross posted into CT under user name wine.woot_taster. User names have been removed to protect the guilty. PM me if you want your tasting note removed or user name added back.

Thanks and back to the wineing.

Have tracking that doesn’t show in FedEx system. When will this ship?

edit: and then of course it shows up the next day lol