Vegan Vine Cabernet Sauvignon (6)

I understand that vegans are people, too, and I’m sure there’s a market for wine that doesn’t use those fine fining agents to clarify the wine, but instead uses the laboratory technique of sterile filtering (filtering through a 20 or 45 micron filter, probably made from a particularly nasty plastic).

What actually worries me is when the winemaker refers to the removal of “undesirable tannins.” I would note that not all tannins are undesirable in a well-structured wine.

Would the winery be able to give more specific details in terms of the role that the various animal products play in traditional wine making and how this wine’s non-traditional fining techniques compare?

I’ve been a big fan of Clos La Chance wines for a number of years. While working my way through college in a little restaurant in Saratoga I sold lots and lots of their chardonnay circa 1993-1995. Later when my after college job began paying more than waiting tables, I joined their wine club. It’s a lovely site to visit if you find yourself in the very south bay.

Hello! Jennifer from Clos LaChance/Vegan Vine here! That is a great question! Traditional fining techniques use animal products to speed up the process. That is their largest contribution, but when making wine without animal products—patience is key. The fining of wine will eventually occur naturally, making them unnecessary. At the right temperature and after the perfect amount of time, particles will settle out all on their own. Natural techniques, and a patient demeanor, can help produce some of the best wines in the world, without using animals.

That is so wonderful to hear about your exciting past experiences with Clos LaChance! Thank you for the continued support by being a Wine Club Member and know this wine is the same quality you would expect under our other labels.