Velbon Neopod Carbon Fiber Monopod

I have a Velbon tripod and I really like using it. A few days ago buy.com was selling the same Monopod. It is no longer on their site now though.

From buy.com email:
Velbon NEOPOD-6 Carbon Fiber Monopod
SAVE 63%
FREE BUDGET SHIPPING
Buy.com price: $64.99
List price: $179.99

Nope. In a controlled setting where you might want to set up the camera and leave it to go mess with lighting or the subject or background, a tripod is better.

Yes, it would. The idea is that you have to hold on to it to keep it from falling, but the advantage over a tripod which would not need to be held, is that you can “grab and go”, which is more difficult to do with a tripod.

A walking stick with a screw mounted on top. Might make an interesting DIY project.

I’m all for narrative point of view and for monorails, but there should be one sentence in the description that gives a hint as to what the hizzizel it does…

Don’t scan the comments. There’s nothing useful there.

Another great use of having a monopod is if you plan on taking pictures in locations that don’t allow tripods, some public places like museums or someplace with a security guard may give you trouble, but you can tell them “It’s not a tripod” That’s actually worked for me a few times. Also monopods are great for rough or uneven terrain, when setting up a tripod would be near impossible.

Found at B&H Video in NY for $65.00 + 5-6 for UPS ground almost anywhere in the U.S.

WOOT is still the best deal unless you need it supwer fast which can be had from B&H for extra $'s

If you’re looking for something lighter, REI has some hiking poles (this and this) that also feature camera mounts. I seem to recall seeing other brands with similar products.

I always find it funny when I see wooters say: “Ooh, what a great deal! I want one! Wait, what does it do?”

$64.79 at bhphotovideo.com

Also, note that you might want a separate head to go along with the monopod. Otherwise you have to tip the thing to get anything other than a horizontal shot. I think woot’s gonna have some disappointed buyers out there when they figure that out.

Keep in mind that this is Carbon Fiber, much lighter then typical monopods. In fact on the big book seller in the sky, the Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Monopod sells for $179.95.

In for 1 here for me!

Well, you CAN screw it directly into your cameras tripod socket if you need to, but I agree it is best to add a head to it. Makes it a lot easier to aim.

I also agree, having a separate head makes using it all that much easier. For the time being I will just move the head from my Manfrotto over to this. For my uses, it is unlikely I will do a shoot where I will need both the monopod and the tripod.

Might have to look at some of the other heads out there to see which one I will eventually want to keep on the monopod and which on the tripod.

This will go great with my camera.
In41

http://static.wooters.us/images/wooters-logo-tiny.png Woot Info Post
Cool wooters.us is cool.

Velbon Neopod Carbon Fiber Monopod [New] - $49.99 + $5 shipping

1 * Velbon Neopod 6 Carbon Fiber Monopod

This post is brought to you by Wooters.us, to help make sure pricing information on the product is available in the future. We are not run by nor affiliated with Woot.

Along with your suggestions, I have gotten a lot of use out of mine at baseball games and other places where you just don’t have room for a tripod to be set up even if they did allow it. If it isn’t too crowded around our seats, it comes in very handy with my zoom until I shell out for an Canon lens with IS. It also came in handy with the 100-400mm IS L lens I rented for the Brewers playoff games in '08. The combination of the monopod and IS got me some nice sharp pictures. I just wish they would have booted the drunk 2 rows in front of me out, as he ruined what would have been some fantastic shots with his antics.

They also make handy walking sticks when you don’t have it mounted to the camera. I used my cheap Canon in Germany and it came in very handy hiking up and down to see the castle in Heidelberg. I’m happy with my Velbon tripod, but I’m not sure if I’ll jump on this deal even though I’m sure I’d be happy with it. I don’t know how much I’d appreciate the weight savings of having a carbon fiber monopod, tripod yes, but my Canon monopod is already quite light.

As others have mentioned, You won’t be able to switch your camera from landscape to portrait.

However, big lenses like the 70-200 f/2 have their own built in mounts that can swivel the camera and lens.

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Pic/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-2.8-L-IS-USM-Lens.jpg

I’m liking my Canon even better now, it has a mini-ballhead, so I just mount it right to the camera. I guess I didn’t look at this one close enough.

This is mine:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Monopod-100-Cameras-Lenses/dp/B0002YE6EU

Have the Neopod on order as well as a Manfrotto 234RC Monopod Head Quick Release to go with my other Manfrotto QR head. Already have extra plates here at home.

Wonder which will arrive first, the head, which Amazon says will be here on Wednesday or the Monopod from Woot which is only about 5 miles from my house.

Betting on getting head before the stick :wink:

I resemble that lens! Looks like my 70-200 f2.8 IS lens.