Vella Cheese Co. Dry Jack Cheese

Btw, if you’re interested in making a jack cheese: Jack Cheese Recipe | How to Make Cheese | CheeseMaking.com
Vella cheese is mentioned at the end…

I’ve made a smaller batch and it turned out great.

Luv cheese / just chk,n comments

Are you selling the Dry Jack or the Mezzo Secco this time? Different pages say different things, and the two cheeses are not the same.

I have bought Vella Cheese several times in the past, and it is not shipped cold. I am passing this time only because I stocked up when I was in Sonoma a couple of months ago. They told us there that it can be out of the refrigerator for up to 3 days with no harm to the cheese.

I have no idea if you could freeze it. You could probably call Vella in Sonoma and ask.

This is excellent cheese that lasts a LONG time. We treat it similarly to our “good” bottles of wine. We don’t eat it until we have time to sit and savor it. With wine, of course.

the olive oil/black pepper coating brings this cheese to another level.

Can someone from Woot or Vella chime in and tell me the Nutritional Info? We do a low carb diet I’m wondering about the carbs.

I’m tempted (if the carbs are nil), but didn’t like the last Vella cheeses that I purchased via woot. They were shipped without a cold pack and the texture was just sort of rubbery. I’m thinking that if this is the dry cheese, maybe that wouldn’t happen?

Thanks!

Jen

I can only speak for the dry cheese, not the medium dry that is being offered, but I still have one shrink-wrapped hunk from last year in my fridge vegetable drawer! Looks brand new and maybe this year it will go to the person it was intended to LAST YEAR!

It shipped fine here to southern Texas last year in an unrefrigerated state, and I think it even may have sat on the porch for an extra 24 hours, if I recollect properly.

But I would not recommend freezing these cheeses (or any other cheese that does not come pre-shredded). Changes the texture completely.

But I would h

LMAO @ someone even mentioning Walmart and edible food in the same sentence.

Actually if you look at your original post, a mod has stated that they do, indeed, include costs such as tax shipping when they calculate the comparison percentage.

^ Two hours later and no one has answered this.

The main wine.woot page and the top of this thread say “Dry” while the product page says “Secco Dry”. These are two very different cheeses and I would like to know which is being offered.

I would assume it’s the Mezzo Secco. If you look at the website: Vella Cheese Company: BUY CHEESE they have the Mezzo Secco listed under the ‘Dry Monterey Jack Cheese’

However confirmation from Inky, TT, or the company is always helpful.

I bet this would be awesome on popcorn.

That was my assumption as well, but you know what they say about assuming…

Also, many of the comments above seem to be describing and/or extolling the virtues of the Dry, so woot may have some annoyed/disappointed customers. I’m surprised that no one at woot has bothered to take 2 minutes to verify and let people know what product they are selling.

hand flailing about working on it! We’re also checking on nutritional info as well.

ps. We appreciate your patience, of course.

This particular Mt. Vella Dry Jack Cheese has been a very favorite of mine for years now - pairs perfectly with complex red wines. I’ve used it for wine and cheese tastings well over 300 times in my life. no joke.

We also love to shave a bit off over arugula and toss with aged balsamic and olive oil for a tasty salad.

Much appreciated!

If this half dry jack is like the Vella Sonoma Jack assortment offered last year by wine.woot do not even think about it. All 4 flavors reminded me how bad velveeta cheese food is. The real dry jack is a great cheese and great value

On the homepage for wine.woot.com if you click on “continue reading” you will see that is says “Mezzo Secco Dry Monterey Jack Cheese 2 lb Wedge”

Or here is a link if you wish:

always great to have Vella Cheese here. a VERY respected cheesemaker with deep ties to Sonoma.

i believe a Vella rep will be coming around later today to chime in.

I was going to hit the big button but decided to check out the discussion from previous purchase. Not too impressed with the comments after folks recieved their cheese…

:frowning: