Vella Cheese Company

Why am I being charged $5 for shipping when I have all ready made another purchase and they both will be shipped to the same address?

Depending on where one lives, but most of the product will ship next week to arrive at the end of the week (west coast) or the beginning of the following week (east of mississippi).

thanks,

New “improvements”. Sorry for the link to the link, but I’m feeling lazy.

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5410919&pageindex=1&replycount=42#post5411110

The rind or the outside is where all the flavor is!!

Eat away!

Coincidence with the name, yo. :slight_smile:
I don’t represent them. But, if it were me, I’d have my neighbors get it.

Is the rind on Mezzo Secco the same as on the Dry Monterey Jack?
Is the Oro almost twice as good as the Mezzo, it is almost twice the price?
Is it Asiago or Asiago Pepato? The Vella website shows green peppercorns in the Asiago Pepato.
I know and love Vella Dry Monterey Jack especially the rind. Would someone please compare it with these other cheeses?

I’ve had bad luck freezing block cheese. It comes out of the freezer dry and crumbly. Are you saying this cheese retains its original texture after freezing ?

My entire life, Vella in Sonoma has been the standard for Monterey Jack Cheese. Especially for Dry Jack, which is a great wine cheese.

These cheeses are not to be missed!

No it does not. It is not recommended to freeze any cheese, including this one.

What’s an Habañero? Is that a cross between an Habanero and a Jalapeño?

You are one evil enabler, we knew that for wine, but cheese too?
If you had to pick just one, ok, two; which?

I’m a dry cheese afficiando and I’d highly suggest this offer. Jack doesn’t have a ton of lavor normally, but when dried and concentrated like it is here, it’s great.

I poured the wine,and…she cut the cheese.

I belatedly realized this would make a fine gift (and maybe the giftee wll gift me with a sliver), but I’m confused, so I do hope someone knowledgeable will straighten me out.

It seems that Dry Jack is dryer/firmer/more aged than Mezzo, and Oro dryer still. In my general cheese experience, more aging means more expensive, and Oro is in fact the priciest of the three, yet Mezzo is considerably more expensive than the Dry. What am I missing, cheese-o-philes? Please educate me so I can make this difficult decision before the Woot clock runs out!

Correct about drier and firmer. I’m not sure it’s more aged, though that’s easy enough to check on their (Vella’s) web site. They’re different styles of cheese, Mezzo Secco literally designed to be about halfway between a high-moisture cheese and a dry cheese. (It translates from Italian as ‘medium dry,’ though it’s usually described as ‘half dry.’)

Incorrect, I think. Oro is the same style cheese as Mezzo, but aged longer. I would assume it is in fact somewhat drier than the Mezzo, but not being designed as a ‘dry’ cheese means it should be softer/moister than the Dry Jack. (The name doesn’t help answer your question as it translates as ‘dry gold,’ which given the cheesemaker’s description of Oro is ambiguous at best.) I can’t confirm this from personal experience as I’ve never tasted the Oro, which sounds interesting but costs a lot more than either the Dry or Mezzo.

For what it’s worth, I believe the reason the Oro costs so much more is because its more of a specialty item than the others, produced in smaller quantities.

Hope this helps.

When will this ship?

Wine.woot shipments (even non-wine items) take a bit longer than shipments from our other sites. Allow at least 2-3 weeks.

The FAQ:

How long is shipment going to take?
You should get your wine in 2-3 weeks, often sooner. We know the wait is kind of a drag. But it’s still gonna taste good (maybe even better), and since we leave it to the wineries to get the wine to you, you can count on their experience to send their wine using their expert methodologies.

Thank you–I just got the tracking info today.

oops. teach me to not see the sticker on the bottom. nothing to see here.