Velocity Micro T301 Android Tablet

From reading many reviews on different sites on various tablet models, it looks like everyone is purchasing the Nexus 7. I am surprised they have not run out yet.

I have some older friends who just need something to check email and check Facebook to keep up with their grand kids. They don’t have a computer and can’t afford the nexus tablet or fire. Anyone have an opinion on if this would work well for this kind of situation?

I paid $70 for this when Woot! first posted it. Can I get $20 back?
At any rate, Ths ‘tablet’ is a mess! It resets every time you shut it off, I had to down a new browser and launcher just to get it to work! I finally found a work-around to run Android Market, Their own Google apps, Google Search, Google Translate, etc. don’t work at all! Wish I could return it!!!

When mine would go south (and it locked up a lot) it would often require me to set everything up again. A complete hard reset. All my network information, etc had to be reinstalled. Not to mention reinstalling software. I’m not sure if much of this would have been prevented by syncing often but a hard reset pretty much negates syncing. Boy, when things go bad with this thing, they can go real bad.

It would be ideal for that kind of situation. Until they realize they want more out of a tablet. “You don’t know what you don’t know” sort of thing.

There will definitely be an influx of used Kindle Fires (still not all of the bells and whistles) as we get closer to the Nexus 7 release. Keep an eye out for that :]

if it’s rooted, i’d recommend getting titanium backup. if/when it crashes you can easily restore apps, settings, even WiFi passwords

The problem with mine is stability. It locks up regularly and I have to hard reset it. The only thing I like this for is a book reader. Amazon has a Kindle app for it. Other than that, I don’t think it’s worth the price. Additionally, if your friends’ machine locks up, they won’t be able to get it working again. That’s if it will do what they need it to do in the first place. Others may have a different experience.

I’m actually getting real close to rooting mine. Recovering from a major malfunction is not fun. And if things go bad with the rooting operation, hey, not out too much.

that write-up is total BS… there’s no such thing as a half-eaten Hostess Donette…

Actually, they have - of the 16 GB variety. I ordered an 8.

Relax - I paid $150 and thought that was a bargain. Considering it’s since been assigned to digital clock duty, not so much…

Junk at any price.

Ya, I got this when it was being sold as Sellout Woot! Plus for $10 more…

Had hoped to run Kindle App and access my personal docs (O’Reilly ebooks) on it. But, the latest stuff from Amazon won’t install on it. And, the latest version via the CruzMarket isn’t new enough.

You can install Amazon AppStore via CruzMarket, where it’ll pester you constantly to update…but the update will fail. And, lots of apps are missing…and even those that do show up, many will fail to install.

Guess MIPS just isn’t that well supported as an Android processor.

It was nice that it took a regular SD card though (I used one a 32GB one that I had gotten extras on woot previously).

At least its easy to root, though not can be done with it…it seems. I haven’t found an alternate ROM with much improvement (though I did get Market, which updated to Play, but no Flash…)

The Dreamer

I’ll let the comminity experts answer about the tablet but my first question is do they have Internet with a wireless router?

Garbage!! Bought two of these last month and neither works correctly and their tech support is a joke. Put your $50.00 towards the purchase of a real tablet…these are junk!

jojodoin wrote: “I paid $70 for this when Woot! first posted it. Can I get $20 back?
At any rate, Ths ‘tablet’ is a mess! It resets every time you shut it off, I had to down a new browser and launcher just to get it to work! I finally found a work-around to run Android Market, Their own Google apps, Google Search, Google Translate, etc. don’t work at all! Wish I could return it!!!”

Thanks for the post. What was your work-around (devilish details please). :slight_smile:

Also regarding another post, in an anthropomorphic-ish vein the half eaten Donette might be half satisfied.

and see as well,

and (as they fill this in)

http://androidforums.com/cruz-tablet-t301-all-things-root/563685-cruz-tablet-t301-all-things-root-guide.html

for root guide (hope this is helpful)

I’m looking for a tablet to receive online-orders for a pizza restaurant. Right now the orders come through e-mail but this tablet doesn’t have Play store or Android market, correct? Therefore, Gmail can’t be installed. I don’t know, maybe there’s an .apk out there somewhere for Gmail.

The online-orders need to be notified as soon as they come in. I found an app called Mail Alert on the Play store but there’s no store on the tablet! Ugh, I don’t know what to do. Is this tablet reliable for connecting to wi-fi?

Or, does anyone know of a more “reliable” tablet? The boss of the restaurant doesn’t really want it to be connected to their wi-fi the whole time because he doesn’t trust it. A 3G plan might not be worth it… Maybe a tablet with an ethernet cord? Help!

Don’t buy this thing. Trust me, no matter what you think you’re going to use it for, it’s going to be horrible at it.

I bought one a few weeks back thinking I could us it for Square transactions for my mother’s store. It can’t be upgraded, it’s super slow and non-responsive, the headphone jack doesn’t work with Square. There’s no Google Play. Also, the XDA community hasn’t fully supported these models so you’re out of luck when it comes to hacked firmware.

Save up a little more and get something slightly better.

My wife has one of these (she bought it, not me!) and you can do Gmail with it. There is a mail app (one of the few available) which can have multiple gmail accounts set up on it. The only apps available that work are from Cruz Market, not Android Market. I guess for $50 it is better than nothing. It does make a pretty good reader.

Sold out? For about $49 more you could get a newer tablet with Android 4.0 and HD out.