Vibram FiveFingers Bikila Shoes

I used to have socks with separate toes, and I thought they were really uncomfortable. I was surprised, since I usually like anything that makes my feet feel warmer.

I suspect my toes won’t like these shoes either, so I will have to try them on at brick and mortar store to find out.

Toe Socks of course!
Keeps your shoes and feet less smelly…

Or size 14… unrealistic, I know, but us yeti can hope…

Curse!! I just bought Brooks for 3 times the price.
These are great shoes, I have the one with shoe laces… The straps are much better.

My Brooks are size 12s, my Vibrams are size 45.

OK, personal opinion here, feel free to flame away…

If you go to a brick and mortar to try these on, if you decide you like them, have the courtesy to buy the shoes there. If they are going to go through the trouble of stocking the shoes and fitting them for you, they at least deserve your business. Don’t buy them somewhere else just to save a buck or two. That’s just wrong.

OK, I’ll get off my soapbox now.

this is a whole another world that you have just opened up to me that i never knew existed mere minutes ago.

They make toe socks that work for them. My wife has a few pair and they seem to work fine.

I have very wide feet, and both of my vibrams pairs are very comfortable. The uppers are stretchy, and the rubbery bottoms conform fine to the sides of my feet.

And for those on the fence about socks, I find it very comfortable to wear them without. I use a bit of spray antiperspirant on my feet before I slip them on, and I’ve been happy with the results.

Wait, was that TMI?

Flame at me… it’s ok… When you make your first purchase of this type of shoe you may not want to pay retail which 9 times out of 10 you will pay at a brick and mortar store. I got my first pair for about this price, but wanted to make sure i was getting the right size so went to a b&m store and they sized me correctly so I purchased the right one. Good news was they didn’t have this model in my size so i didn’t have to seem douchey for not buying from them.
remember big feet are an enemy of small mom and pop shops that don’t like carrying larger inventory.

yea, I went to try them on at a brick and mortar store initially. turns out i have toes that are either too long on one side or too short (can’t remember which), but these didn’t work for me. also, had a very hard time getting the toes to go into the correct toe hole. not sure if others can comment… something to consider!

Not flaming at all, but these things run around $80 to $120 in the brick and mortar stores. I still bought my first pair from the one I sized at, but I wouldn’t begrudge anyone paying half the price. Maybe they could pick up a nice pair of socks or slippers to thank the store for their help?

No need to wear socks with them at all. My wife likes the toe socks especially in winter time. But I’ve never seen the need for socks with these shoes. They are plenty comfortable without. We’ve been wearing various models of 5 fingers for 2 years now. most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned.

I agree if they make commission. If not, its all good =D

I’ve got a pair of Spyridons and was looking for something a little more suitable for everyday usage. Would these foot the bill or would I be better off with the speeds or something?

Just the look of these make my knees and ankles cry.

I’ve got pretty wide feet, and I find I can’t actually use the standard model comfortably. If anyone has really wide feet, I suggest they check out the Bikila LS instead.

funny thing though…
My feet used to HURT BAAAD, then I started with the Toe shoes, fila skeletoes at first to see if i could enjoy it. I loved those but found the sole painful to run in.
I picked up my first pair of Bikilas and was in heaven until I started running… Then relized a few things…

1. I’m fat
  2. I can’t run
  3. Go slow
  4. Find your foot placement… slowly
  5. NEVER I SAY NEVER HEEL STRIKE… JEBUS THAT HURT…
  6. Try to land on the fore foot not just the ball of foot.
  7. Go get one of those condensed foam roller thinggies and use it on your calves after your run to masage/beat the hell out of your calves and you won’t be as sore

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=17428194&findingMethod=rr

1. Go easy, run a block, walk a block, run a block, walk a block, then go longer with pauses.
  2. DONT HEEL STRIKE… IT HURTS BAAAAAAAAAAD
  3. Tell everyone you meet who say what the hell are those ugly shoes? Smile and say they are Vibrams and they are the most comfortable shoe I’ve ever ran in. Then wiggle your toes at them and go on your way.

I’ve used them (well, not the Bikila, but a similar model) while riding bikes before, and they do fine. If you have very pointy sharp pedals like on some mountain bikes, and you use one of the thinner soles models (classic, KSO, sprint, etc.) I could see it maybe being slightly uncomfortable, but usually they should be fine on a bike.
I recommend trying them on in a store first if you can get to one, but if not, then measure your foot and go by the sizing guide www.vibramfivefingers.com/size_fit/

I started by wearing FiveFingers just for indoor workouts, and my feet really felt it for the first month or so, as they grew used to working harder. Now I love wearing them all day if it’s socially acceptable (and the weather is dry). The ventilation is superb, and while toe socks aren’t necessary, they really improve comfort for me – I like Injinji Performance series.

Also, lots of folks have opinions about their appearance or other questions, so FiveFingers are often conversation starters!

On the flip side, the ultra-flexible soles are not so great on rugged surfaces (think coarse gravel), and the models I use have such permeable uppers that they quickly get soaked around water.

I agree. FiveFingers in general are great for wide feet, but I would skip the Bikila for the LS. I have wide feet and the regular Bikila are too narrow - squish my toes together and the top of my foot ache. With the womens LS, I still had to break them in but have ran a marathon in them comfortably, though the mens Bikila LS were super comfy right off the bat.

I would also be cautious about anything womens sized with the Trek-style soles (the ones with the nubs that look like Xs or ts), they are narrower. Unfortunately that means you’re probably not going to wear those styles if you have small feet, but in my experience they squeeze the tops of my feet AND they feel like they are spilling over.