ViewSonic gTablet 10.1" Multi-touch Tablet

So yeah… Get a TouchPad hope it gets Android and it will be 100x better than this for the price. Oh Gawd I hope they get Android cause then I can sell the 500 I hogged at a nice premium. An Android tablet with the TouchPad specs is easily worth $300 and sell easily for $200.

Ran VEGAnTab, then Cyanogen MOD, now Flashback Honeycomb 7.2. Keeps getting better every time. Ultimate hacker’s tablet.

iPad weenies and TouchPad dead-enders need not apply :slight_smile:

I bought this back in April and manually upgraded it to Android 3, aka “Honeycomb”. It’s an excellent tablet, and almost half of what my wife paid for an iPad. Highly recommend whether you upgrade it not. Have not had any issues.

I’ve been using one of these for well over 18 months now.

Exactly what is it of which I should be afraid?

Should I be afraid that it plays 1080p over an HDMI connection?

Perhaps I should be afraid of the solid firmware available on XDA-Devs?

Maybe I should be afraid of the thousands upon thousands of applications that work perfectly well on this?

What is it, exactly, you’d like me to fear?

Please do tell!

Bought one of these in one of the prior postings.

Short version.
Pro:
-Tegra 2 gaming is awesome
-Touchscreen is accurate and responsive
-Full-size host USB port is great to have
-Expandable with MicroSD
-Speakers are surprisingly good for the size/form factor.
-Not security-locked, so no need to go through a jailbreak process to get root, just load your new ROM as you like, by copying a few files to a mSD and following simple instructions. Easy peasy, and VEGAn-Tab is a VAST improvement over the stock firmware.

Con:
-Viewing angles suck. A lot. If you aren’t moving too much you can position it so you can read/work with the tablet, but it’s a very small angle where things look good. Easier to get in the sweet spot if you turn the unit upside down (thick part or the bezel at the top) when holding it naturally (on your lap, propped up on a table, etc). Easily the WORST part of owning one of these; I’ve been tempted to get an ASUS Transformer just as it uses the same screen type as my Nook Color (which is a night-and-day difference).
-Cannot charge over USB connection to computer.

At this point, it’s become primarily the best (and most expensive) alarm clock that I’ve ever owned, when paired with Gentle Alarm and Clocksync. Great for people with glasses as you can set the font size to ‘I’m blind!’ and read it from bed due to the size.

Got this last time (and posting with it now). Great device once you put a new ROM on it. Currently rocking gtabcomb 3.3 and it is awesome.

Oh wait, you were looking to do a custom rom?

Super easy business! I cracked my viewsonic when I bought it from Woot! the last time. The VeganTab crack is absolutely amazing! Here’s the link:

Be sure to read through it and do the marketplace fix that it talks about. And also, feel free to get a hold of me if you have any questions regarding cracking it.

have fun!

Bought one the first time around and after I flashed the ROM I absolutely loved it, but now it won’t turn on. Worked great for months but one day when I tried to turn it on…nothing. Yes I tried NVFLASH in APX mode, but the computer won’t recognize it anymore. Took it apart unhooked the battery, pressed the reset button but still nothing. I really miss it and for the price you won’t find anything better (after a ROM upgrade) but I just can’t risk losing more money.

Reading woot on one right now.

Clockwork, Cyanogen, Hackers Keyboard

One company giving up on something in which they weren’t all that interested in the first place doesn’t mean that Apple won.

I have always thought the name Earl just about shouts creeper.

So how does 1024x600 resolution magically become 1080P?

Is there some magical way 600 lines become 1080 lines? I thought they might “fudge it” because it has some external video output that might support 1920x1080 resolution, but alas, it does not.

i wooted one when it was first here. i’ve also got an ipad and an ipad 2.

i agree with using an aftermarket ROM. i’ve got cyanogen on mine, and it’s a lot better than the OEM.

that said, it’s got a few advantages over the apples. and the apples have quite a few advantages over it.

the ipads are definitely sexier in terms of their design. they’re sleeker and lighter.

OTOH, unless you jailbreak the ipad, they’re frustrating. you can’t access the file system. you can’t use a lot of accessories (printers, keyboards) not “blessed” by apple. of course, this makes them harder to screw up.

the battery life on the apples is much better. i can go a whole 8 to 10 hours at work with the ipad, and when i leave it unplugged for a couple of nights, it doesn’t lose significant charge. my Gtab loses charge faster in use, and MUCH faster overnite.

having removable media (micro-sd) on the gtab is a major plus. so is having a real usb port.

with amazon prime, i can go to the amazon (non-mobile) website and stream thousands of movies and tv shows for free. the gtab has decent stereo sound, too.

at this price, you could get 2 gtabs for less than one ipad. it’s a good deal.

Product website:

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/gtablet.htm

has multiple guides on the page, but this is the user guide:
http://www.viewsonic.com/assets/097/19866.pdf

Amazon a bit over 3 stars, $269.99, free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-gTablet-Multi-Touch-Screen-Android/dp/B004EPV7TK

Came up with
via froogle

or more general froogle result

Laptop Mag 2-1/2 stars:

CNet video review:

Even better than VEGAn ROM, I’m running Honeycomb 3.0 on mine without any issues. The build comes already rooted and overclocked and benchmarks show this device outperforming every other tablet on the market.

Am watching CNN, and just saw a commercial for the HP TouchPad “starting at $399.” Shouldn’t HP pull the ads? Even if their contract says that CNN will offer no refund, airing such an ad only confuses consumers since the TouchPad is now only $99 and $149, if you can still find one. Seeing the $399 price not only scares potential buyers, but also invite mockery given the product’s demise.

What market shake up? The market where HP killed off its tablet after two months? The sudden drop in price was because HP is run by complete idiots who spent over a billion dollars for a tablet they had in the market for I think three weeks before the first price drop. Now they are out of the market entirely.

I’m not sure how ONE failed tablet means Apple won. I mean, doesn’t the last line of your post betray your point? You admit that ten years ago you thought Apple was done.

So why are you so convinced now that no one else can ever turn anything around and replace Apple (who replaced Microsoft)?

–mop

I take it someone didn’t get the memo about this weekend… lol

Go Texas! You gotta carry the rest of Woot nation.

I can believe that yesterday’s touchsmart was pre-planned, but two ironic woots in a row is stretching it a bit.

This would still be a good woot if it had an IPS screen, but given the complaints about viewing angles…