ViewTV 120 Mile Range Outdoor/Attic Amplified Antenna

ViewTV 120 Mile Range Outdoor/Attic Amplified Antenna

So, does anyone know…

If I mounted this in the attic, and fed it into the first coax splitter that used to split the cable company’s signal throughout the house, could it serve all the coax jacks in the house?

I know each splitter is about a 3db signal hit, but that’s clearly not a problem for the cable signal…just not sure of the magnitude of the output signal of this antenna vs. the cable company signal vs. the power actually needed at the TV tuner…

As far as I know you can’t, or shouldn’t, do it.

There are diplexers (kinda like splitters) out there that will do this sort of thing with a satellite service (Dish or Directv), but they probably won’t work with cable tv. Cable tv crams quite a lot of stuff onto the distribution coax and uses most of the available frequency blocks. Attempting to add OTA signals into the mix will result, at the very least, in interference. Also, piggy-backing your OTA antenna into your cable providers coax network exposes their system to damage (like lighting) that you might find yourself responsible for.

That being said, some cable companies (and some satellite services) offer OTA pass through as an option with their cable boxes. You would just attach the output from your antenna to the box / module and the OTA channels would show up somewhere in the channel guide like any other channel. At least, that’s how mine works.

First of all, anyone saying that their antenna has 120 mile range is ridiculous. The curvature of the earth limits you to about 50-60 miles, not even including the hills, trees, tall buildings, etc. that can obstruct the signal.

I’m assuming you mean you no longer have cable TV service and want to use the existing coax to distribute over the air (OTA) signals to your televisions. If you are still using your cable company for Internet service, probably one output side of the first splitter you refer to runs to your TV infrastructure and the other side goes to your internet router. If you still have cable TV and the situation is as jdwdigital desrcibed it, he’s posted some good advice. If you no longer have cable TV, remove this splitter and get two female to female unions. Take the coax coming from outside (now Internet only) and connect to the run that goes to your modem/router. Take the other union, connect the other coax cable going to your TV’s to it and the cable end from this antenna to the other end. Before you purchase this, go to antennaweb.org and put in your address. It will show you where the transmitting towers for your area are located and the type of antenna needed to receive them. Good luck!

Unfortunately I will be returning this because it DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY POLE OR MOUNTING HARDWARE. It does include the piece to mount the antenna to the pole…but my box did not have a pole or the plate/hinge to mount the pole to a structure like the picture shows on Woot…disappointing…20191031_173207|690x388

I’m sorry. It should have been included. Woot CS will help you.

My antenna was missing the mounting pole and hardware.