Vino Noceto Sangiovese and Zinfandel Trio + One

Take that bdomine!

BTW, what did I just buy?

Some nice reds, it appears!

2003 OGP Zinfandel
$28

The epitome of Sierra Foothill old-vine Zinfandel - dust and spice with complex, intense fruit. Enjoyed by Californians since the 1860’s, the Original Grandpere Vineyard is the world’s oldest, documented, producing Zinfandel vineyard. Silver medal winner.

2003 Noceto Sangiovese
$16

Our flagship Sangiovese is packed with the forward, ripe, cranberry, cherry/berry fruit that marks Noceto’s style. The “normale” is a delicious food wine - great with tomato-based dishes, pasta and pizza, or anything from salmon to lamb. A great value to boot!

2003 Riserva Sangiovese
$24

This fruit-packed, well-balanced, complex Sangiovese is a blend of selected lots of superior fruit to provide the best wine we could make from the vintage. It is a wine of full body and deep color; rich flavor with a lingering finish; dark cherry-berry fruit; rich, jammy, berry nose; and hints of spice and cassis.

closest i could find to tasting notes…
(from cellar tracker…and not professional tasting notes just to let people know.)

(note 2002 vintage not 03) 02’ Sangiovese Riserva -
Initially muted, light and refreshing. Nice nose and light taste. Unfortunately, as time passed, the wine’s fruit forcible came forward causing the wine to taste a little sweet, Jolly-Rancher style. Drink this immediately upon opening.

(note 2002 vintage not 03) 02’ zinfandel OGP -
dust and spice with complex, intense fruit. Enjoyed by Californians since the 1860’s, the Original Grandpere Vineyard is the world’s oldest, documented, producing Zinfandel vineyard. Silver medal winner

2003 Vino Noceto Sangiovese -
Forward, ripe, cranberry, cherry/berry fruit that marks Noceto’s style. The “normale” is a delicious food wine - great with tomato-based dishes, pasta and pizza, or anything from salmon to lamb. A great value to boot!

i would guess that all three of these would cellar nicely…might have to pick up some for myself…

Brendan

This is EXACTLY the kind of wines I like. I just hate having to worry about staying home for the UPS guys.

And the thought of these wines sitting on a truck in Houston in August (or even September - it’s still too hot for wine) when I am not home is not inspiring. Ao unless a cold wave comes through, i’m passing. Hopefully you’ll have some left for a woot off when it cools off.

Ya know…I typically do research on the wines first and yet every time reds are for sale I buy them anyway, so I’m not going to take the time to research it…I’m in! :slight_smile:

BTW, any chance we can get the winery to chime in with regards to cellar times for these?

2003 Noceto Riserva Sangiovese

* Selection: Blended by selecting blocks of superior fruit to provide the best wine we could make from the 2003 vintage:
  - 96% Shenandoah Valley, California
  - 62% estate
  - 94% Sangiovese (Sangiovese Grosso & Sangiovese Piccolo)
  - 6% other reds
* Fermentation: 40-50

I may not be a math major, but I believe that’s more than 100% wine.

Took me a minute to figure it out too… but it IS Monday! The first 2 describe the SOURCE of the grapes, the second two the TYPE of grape

I was going to pass but the comments seemed promising.

This is Suzy Gullett checking in. Happy to respond. This is our second vintage of OGP Zinfandel. However, we’ve enjoyed many a bottle of late '80’s Zinfandel from the Original Grandpere Vineyard that continues to taste great! So, I’d say the OGP Zin should easily last a decade, perhaps longer. As for the Sangioveses, we generally suggest you drink them within five years. They may last a lot significantly longer (our '93 and '94 vintages are still tasting great and our '98 Riserva still shows its youthful fruit). They are ready to drink anytime you want.

You got it right, though I agree that it is a bit confusing. – Suzy

I’m in … mainly for the 2 Zinfandels…dust and spice combined with complex, intense, deep, dark fruit. But they all sound quite good…if anyone has tried please post your impressions.
BTW what does “dust” taste like ? I suppose they are talking about special delicious California dust, and not what is sitting here all over my desktop… and it is too early in the morning to give it a lick to see :wink:

QUESTION If the vintners check in I’d like to know:
It is stated that this is from the “oldest documented, producing Zinfandel vineyard on earth, dating back to at least the 1860’s”. I am curious How old are your actual vines ? And given that grapes have been grown in the same place for such a long time, is there anything special you need to do to improve the soil over the years etc. ?
I love old-vine produced wines and would like to know more about yours.
Thanks,
brian

This makes wine 4 I’ve wooted. I’ve shipped them all to my office (westchase area), and haven’t had any problems in the past. Package has shipped out Monday evening and arrived lunchtime Wednesday. As someone said on forum last week, this is probably easier travel time than what we can find around town…

Good idea getting it shipped to your office. For some reason, I hadn’t even thought of that.

man… wine woot’s always throwin’ up bottles that aren’t on the comparison sites. Rare and exclusive is the name of the game i suppose. Anyways, here’s a link if you want, extremely general though it may be.

Shopzilla’s Entire Wine Listing. Have fun with that.

For what it’s worth, my resident “wine expert” ofice mate tells me that the Zinfandel x2 is worth the price of admission. These wines are not for the faint of heart - it takes a reall wine lover to truly appreciate them. Meat eaters’ best friend, or so I am told.

Oh yea, business delivery is a huge advantage when shipping wine. highly reccommended.

Except now all my coworkers think I have a drinking problem. Please don’t ever launch “whiskey.woot.com”.