Vinomax Wine Aerators

I got one of the handheld aerators with a stand as a raffle at a wine show, and I love it.

compared to the Vinturi… pros/cons of this one?

I have one of these that I carry in my wine bag and use it quite often to maximize the flavor and aromatics available for our tastings. Really terrific aerators!

Any idea if this process is PATENTED?

As I don’t have the other one, can’t make a comparison, but I love the one that I have. Great to pour per glass, especially.

My big brother is really getting into wines. So one of these sounds like a neat gift for his b’day.

Which one would you folks recommend–the bottle-mount or the handheld–as the better one to get him?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

>'Kat

Sorry if it’s such an obvious thing, but I know almost nothing about wines. That’s my brother’s thing. So I still really would like advice on this.

Is there any diff in how these enhance the wines? Is the only diff holding vs on the bottle? Clean-up? Purely personal preference?

Thanks again.

>'Kat

Both should produce similar results. The clean up is the main issue. Some people have a hard time watching both the glass fill and the aererator fill level at the same time. Two options fix this problem. A stand or the on bottle attachment.

Bottle-mount would be my preference.

In essence, any aerator is a shortcut to using a decanter. The idea is to get more oxygen to the wine so it opens up.

Before the taxman started to tax winery inventories (and the fruit bombs promoted by Robert Parker became so popular), most wineries wouldn’t release their wines until 10 years of bottle aging. Now, they have to release them sooner, a lot of wines need some time to “open”. That is, you won’t get the full potential (aromas, flavors, etc.) if you drink the wine too soon.

A decanter is made to let the wine open up. But, that can take one or more hours, depending on the type of wine. An aerator is made to speed that process up. I think most of us have found that it’s comparable to about 1 hour in the decanter per aerator pour.

Best way is to experiment with both aerator and a decanter. You can pour the wine twice thru the aerator to see the difference (use 4 glasses, one for your initial pour, one for the initial aerator pour, and the remaining 2 glasses to pour twice thru the aerator (1 for the initial aerator pour, then from that glass thru the aerator for its 2nd pour). You should now have 3 glasses of wine, at different oxygen levels.)

You should be able to see some difference in aroma and taste in each glass, depending on the wine. iByron once left a Tannat to decant for over a day, IIRC, and it still could have used more time to open.

Using a decanter is a slower process, but if you take notes when you taste (initial pour, wait one hour and taste, then wait another hour and taste again.), you should be able to see the same differences as when you used the aerator.

While slower, it can be more romantic to pour from the decanter, as it implies that you aren’t taking shortcuts.

I do like to use the towers with my Vinturi’s when I use them, as it is easier to watch both glass and aerator at the same time. On the bottle one’s are handy, but are sometimes more fragile, plus you have to watch they don’t fall off while pouring.

A lot depends on personal preference, as well as the type of usage. That is, large group or more intimate situation. I actually have both types, but usually only break out the handheld.