Vinturi Red Wine Aerator

Great price. Shipped it still beats the 20% off coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond. I’ll be in for one or two.

Question for the producer: What is the difference between the Red Wine and the White Wine models (other than black versus white coloring)? I’ve seen them up close and side-by-side and could not see any difference.

I imagine you wouldn’t want to send white wine through a unit that’s been used for red on the same night, but if I was in such a situation is there really any reason I would want to buy a White unit instead of two of these?

iByron

I knew there was a reason I wanted a 2nd one!!!

I live in Pa. so I never come to wine.woot but when I saw this I had to come over and say that this is a great tool for decanting (aeration really) wine in a pinch. I don’t buy the most expensive wines ($10-20 is what we go for) but this really works. We have done a few blind taste tests with a few of our friends (also wine lovers) and they always pick the one that has been through the Vinturi. If you don’t have one and pass this up your an idiot.

"Through extensive testing and development, we modified Vinturi Wine Aerator’s internal design and developed a Vinturi specifically calibrated for white wine. The Vinturi White Wine Aerator draws in more air, and as a result of the increased air surfaces, the wine’s exposure to air similarly increases. White wine flourishes under this heightened level of aeration. The actual design modifications - and how they differ from the Vinturi Red Wine Aerator - are considered proprietary to Vinturi with all patents pending. "

I bought mine on Amazon, and while it’s not the same as a decanter, it definitely noticeably aerates wine. I nearly always use it in conjunction with my decanter; pour it from bottle through Vinturi directly into the decanter, then wait 1-3 hours, for wines that really would most benefit from really extended decanting. So for me, I find it cuts my decanting time by a third or so, which is worthwhile! For some wines (such as some Cabs), I don’t find I need further decanting at all, but with others (such as most Petite Sirahs) I need time in the decanter and sometimes I’ll even pass the wine through the Vinturi twice as well.

On the whole, I am very happy I purchased it and consider it essential for anyone who regularly drinks tannic reds.

Dang! I just bought one of these! The store closing clearance price was still higher than wine.woot! :expressionless:

Is the whole “21 or older” gig still applicable for this? I’m 19, but I’d like to buy this for an older friend as a Christmas present, and I can’t get my parents to pick it up (they work during the day and are too busy to drive out to the closest UPS center - which is pretty far - to pick it up there after work). Is my only option to find somebody that’s 21 to send it to?

I’d love your input on which whites you decant. I agree with your reasoning for using the red decanter on either type, but I’m not sure that I drink whites that would benefit from decanting.

I own one and have done blind taste tests and can tell a noticable difference. I was actually planning on picking one up for my dad for christmas, so good timing…

I absolutely agree. I am a wine snob :slight_smile:
A vinturi does not age wine as some claim. It does soften a younger wine. Most people will be drinking younger wines so this will come in handy if you have a tannic cab that you would otherwise have to decant and wait.

Warning: It seems to also reduce some of the flavor but I find it a reasonable trade-off for some wines.

Again, DON’T do this to an aged Bordeaux. Decant them and wait (hope) for them to open up. If you have kept a wine for 1-2 decades then you can afford to wait an extra hour.

It depends on how soon you want to drink your wine. They both allow the wine to breathe, but through the aerator it’s like the wine has already been opened to the air for a while. I’ve noticed that it does make the wine taste a bit lighter, which is nice.

The white wine one is brand new, but the difference is the angle and size of those aeration holes, since the two wines are very different.

Also, Vinturi just added a stand for the aerator, so you don’t have to hold it anymore when you pour your glass! Horay for tools!

I bought one of these for my parents a couple of years ago as a Christmas present (for about twice as much) and they love it. It does make a difference, especially on table wine. It improves a $8 bottle of wine immensely. It also makes very amusing noises as it aerates.

If I hadn’t just dropped the last of my fun money for the month, I’d snap one up at this price.

OK a decanter is still better if you are planning on drinking a whole bottle in one night, but if you are only pouring by the glass, this thing is magic! I work concessions at a local theatre, I starting using this thing, and wine profits went up 200% in a 6 moth period. The key is the distinctive gurgle noise it makes, people are instantly curious about what your doing, this is a piece of marketing gold, and it actually works! the same principle behind regular decanting (exposing as much wine as possible to air) has been enhanced and re-imagined for the single serving crowd.

Is being a Winesnob another way of saying that you are too narrow minded to even look into the science of it. I have tasted and tested this on many occasions with many people and yes it does aerate the wine and in many cases brings out the flavor of the wine(especially young ones).

In for another 1.

ditto on the 21+ signature required issue. i know you have to do this for wine, but is this item going to be sent signature required? i’m over 21, but being there when the UPS guy comes is often a hassle - not really worth it just to save $3 in this case.

in for 1, and its my 100th purchase, yay!

Also, I wonder what would happen if you ran wine through this item multiple times.

Have one of these, and sent one along to the missus in Canada. We first ran across them while winery hopping in Ontario, something we do rather frequently.

Neither of us was really expecting a product (which was selling locally at several wineries for almost $80 Canadian) to be much more than a marketing gimmick, but it really DID make an astonishing difference – especially in freshly opened wines.

I, of course, found them on Amazon for far cheaper than they were selling at the wineries, and we’ve been using them ever since. Absolute best $30 one could spend to improve the wine drinking experience without decanting (which requires planning and foresight – two things that have always gotten in the way of my haphazard… er… spontaneous nature).

That, and they make this neat little noise when you pour through them.

I purchased this about a year ago on Amazon. It’s very impressive and much faster than waiting on a decanter. Also, it’s good for people who only want one glass and not the entire bottle.

Highly recommend.

In for 2, one as a gift. I’m going to definitely try this on my boss monster zinfandel. I like good wine but 10- 20$ a bottle is the right price for table wine. Hope this makes a difference.