Violight Sonic Ion Toothbrush & UV Sanitizer with 4 Toothbrush Heads – 2 Pack

Thank goodness they are new.

I certainly hope so after reading that disturbing write-up.

Product Website

Previous Woot

Lol.

But really, I don’t understand why people need toothbrush sanitizers… Boil some water and keep your brush submerged for a few minutes and it is disinfected.

Plus, my thought is that similar to anti-bacterial soaps, it becomes a problem in the long run. The whole thing about superbacteria and such. Well, whatever, purchase at your own peril.

Hardly any purchasers from the last Woot wrote a followup. Dissapointing, there’s not a ton of information about this product out there.

I have this brush and it’s awesome. Cleans better than my older, much more expensive electric one. Thanks Woot! This is a steal for the 2-pack.

I bought one of these for like 50 bucks the last time they were on woot, they do everything you’d expect an electric toothbrush to do, I don’t see how a brand-name like Oral-B could make their RPMs any physically different than VioLight’s. Case and point: This is a good deal, and more like a good insurance policy for having a healthy mouth.

That’s where I got my measly one-pack too…still, well worth it!

where can you buy additional brush heads? are they hard to find?

off their website, at a minimum…

list price is 2 heads for $9.95, not sure about shipping but UPS ground can’t be too bad

not so sure about adding on the two year warranty offered with the heads grin

even sanitized, I don’t think I want to keep a toothbrush head for two years

Seems like a decent deal for a sonic brush with seven replacement brushes.

Shipping appears to be about $5.95 for ground. So $15.90 for 2 replacement heads. Not bad compared to how much my sonicare replacements went for.

How do these compare to Sonicare?

This is a great price. I just bought one and it was over $60. They are great

I’m going to take a chance here that rather than re-igniting the controversy on the last woot, that this will clarify the last woot’s comments about the ultraviolet light. The CDC did NOT say that the ultraviolet light didn’t kill bacteria, did NOT say that it couldn’t help people. What they DID say was “To date, however, no published research data documents that brushing with a contaminated toothbrush has led to recontamination of a user’s mouth, oral infections, or other adverse health effects.”

The American Dental Assocation said “There are several commercially available toothbrush sanitizers on the market. Although data do not demonstrate that they provide a specific health benefit, if a consumer chooses to use one of these devices, the Council recommends that they select a product cleared by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).” I can’t tell by looking at the product website if it’s FDA approved.

The ADA also said, "In recent years, scientists have studied whether toothbrushes may harbor microorganisms that could cause oral and/or systemic infection (4 references here). We know that the oral cavity is home to hundreds of different types of microorganisms (1 reference here), therefore, it is not surprising that some of these microorganisms are transferred to a toothbrush during use. It may also be possible for microorganisms that are present in the environment where the toothbrush is stored to establish themselves on the brush. Toothbrushes may even have bacteria on them right out of the box (1 reference here) since they are not required to be sold in a sterile package.

The human body is constantly exposed to potentially harmful microbes. However, the body is normally able defend itself against infections through a combination of passive and active mechanisms. Intact skin and mucous membranes function as a passive barrier to bacteria and other organisms. When these barriers are challenged or breached, active mechanisms such as enzymes, digestive acids, tears, white blood cells and antibodies come into play to protect the body from disease.

Although studies have shown that various microorganisms can grow on toothbrushes after use, and other studies have examined various methods to reduce the level of these bacteria (and it gives five references here–edit), there is insufficient clinical evidence to support that bacterial growth on toothbrushes will lead to specific adverse oral or systemic health effects."

What they didn’t mention is that any part of your body that is exposed to the air has bacteria in it, some of it good–keeping some infections from happening. One of the main reason people get infected after taking antibiotics is because the antibiotic can kill the good bacteria as well (e.g., yeast infections for women, some colon infections like Clostridium difficile, or “C Diff”). Probiotics like Align (no, I don’t work for the company) and yogurt hope to help the colon. Even if one brushes the teeth and cleans the toothbrush, there are still bacteria in the mouth, but whether sterilizing the toothbrush helps is the debate.

The upshot: the ultraviolet light will kill toothbrush micro-orgamisms including bacteria. We hope that it will help with the mouth, and the concept certainly makes sense. Whether it actually helps with your health, no-one really knows. The ADA and CDC didn’t say “Don’t buy toothbrush sterilizers”, they simply said we don’t know if they are worth it for your health.

If you’re not sick of reading by now, here are the links:

American Dental Association: http://www.ada.org/1887.aspx

Centers for Disease Control: http://www.cdc.gov/oralhealth/infectioncontrol/factsheets/toothbrushes.htm

Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germicidal_lamp

I’m a little concerned that you can’t seem to find them anywhere else, though. Sets, yes; heads, no. I can’t find any third party sites selling heads at all. I’d be in for this, but I don’t like being captive to a single source for an item I’ll need regularly.

I bought this on the last woot to replace my old sonicare. It isn’t worth the money, my teeth don’t feel near as ‘clean’ and you can always buy a separate ‘sanitizer’ if that is what you are looking for.

try closing the lid brfore flushing, that will make a real difference

The toilet lid up/down practice was featured in an episode of Myth Busters and was debunked.