Vivitar DVR7300X 7MP Digital Camcorder

How many minutes of 720x480 video can you fit on the largest (4GB) flash card this can hold?

I like that it uses a non-proprietary charger. Just a mini type-b USB, so if I travelled with my blackberry and it, I’d only need one charger. That’s kind of handy…

I got one of these from Woot last time it was offered. The battery would not charge.

Vivitar was AWFUL to deal with and I eventually had to return the thing.

Tempting item, I know, but I’d say stay away

I bought this on Woot the last time it was offered, I really like it. I have other camcorders, I never use them. This one I do use because it is so simple. The sound isn’t that great, but I don’t mind that. I’ve only used 2GB cards in it so far, but on the Woot discussion from when I purchased mine, a guy on there had used larger cards, including HC ones with no problems. (Which I’m going to try.) Not one problem with it so far. For about $200, there is an Aiptek (sp?) at Walmart that is very nice, my coworker has one and it can use up to a 32GB HCSD card, has higher MP, as well as having some other nice features. BTW, I’m also using this to record my property for insurance purposes, which makes this well worth the money.

I actually bought this for my kids and they were constantly glued to it - capturing everything.
Granted - it’s not the most feature packed and high quality camera out there but it works and
keeps kids well entertained. Seemed like it went everywhere we went. But - somehow we
lost it in or out of the house and I’m considering picking up another just for that reason.
I diddle in videography and it helps keep the kids away from daddy’s bigger cameras.
The name doesn’t bother me a bit as we picked up a vivitar X30 10.1 megapix that blows
us away. For the price - it really produces sharp clear pics. We’ve got canons, but the vivitar
always comes where ever we go.

I bought this … its small and convenient. Easy to sneak into a concert. I haven’t had problems with the sound at all, but am using in high Db areas. Am using the 2gb micro cards also purchased from woot. So far, I’ve recorded for at least an hour and not run out of card room, Typically … battery runs out first. Its easy to transfer your recorded stuff to computer for upload to youtube, but comes out a bit blocky (like most of the youtube videos). If you use the media that comes with it to create a DVD, the quality is much better but probably not so much on HD (still have monster tube tv). All in all … for the price, and convenience, its great!

anything that sees above 2 gig for sd cards has a good chance to read the real big cards it just means it hasn’t been confirmed sdhc cards can be 2gig but anything higher has to be, so this really might use up to a 16 or 32 gig sd card

It depends on your resolution choice.

ie) Greater Res = More Pixels = Larger File = Less Time, but More Quality.

And so continues the tragic battle of Quality vs Quantity…Higher Quality = Lower Quantity…Higher Quantity = Lower Quality.

Thanks for the insight. I’ve been considering a FLIP, and this Vivitar seems like a better way to go. Do you have both? Which one do you like more?

$10 less than what? The DXG is $150.

Recording Time: High resolution is 35 minutes; low resolution is 4 hours Additional Features and Specifications: * Personal media player * Motion detection * Internal and external memory * UL listed * Measures approx. 3.75"L x… See more »
Recording Time: High resolution is 35 minutes; low resolution is 4 hours Additional Features and Specifications: * Personal media player * Motion detection * Internal and external memory * UL listed * Measures approx. 3.75"L x 2.8"W x 1.35"H * Comes with a manufacturer’s 1-year limited warranty Accessories Included: * Earbuds * Carrying case (designed to fit camcorder only) * 1GB SD memory card * Remote control with battery * 110V charger * RCA cable * USB cable * Lithium-Ion battery * User manual Software Included: * Arcsoft Showbiz DVD 2 - burns your video into DVDs * Arcsoft Media Converter 2.5 - converts multiple video formats to be compatible with the camcorder * Arcsoft Photo Impressions 5 * MPEG4 Video Codec Xvid - allows MPEG4 videos to play on the computer PC System Requirements: * Windows 98 SE, 2000, ME, Win XP and Vista About Vivitar… This worldwide electronics leader brings you easy-to-use digital cameras that produce quality images at an exceptional price. Formed more than 65 years ago, Vivitar was one of the first to offer a 3-to-1 zoom with excellent sharpness throughout the zoom range. Cameras may offer features that include an LCD display, external Compact Flash or Smart media storage and an easy computer interface. For warranty information, please call HSN.com Customer Service at 800.933.2887 (8 am-1 am ET).

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/vivitar-dvr-550-5-in-1-digital-camcorder-with-1gb-sd-memory-card

Thats for a 5MP Vivitar
So, it looks like 30 minutes per GB at high res or a little over 2 hours per card.

You can convert and compress this into WMV, MPEG or MOV after to about 1/4th the size with cheap and it will store and show on Windows Media player with many shareware AVI converters.

AVI’s use the most space of all the movie formats, but it’s the most common because others are propiatary to Apple and Windows.

Hope that helps

Oh. And as for a webcam. it says right in the description ** Can be used as webcam**

The DXG is $50 more and 2 MP less.

I’m just the chatty one today, aren’t I?

The Vivitar site is closed for remodeling, apparently. But Google cached an HTML version of the User Manual PDF:

http://74.125.95.104/search?q=cache:HytRuVb7XkgJ:www.vivitar.com/ecms.aspx/874edfd9-df3b-4e7f-b7e9-d6252ddc4178/SupportFiles/DVR7300x.pdf+site:vivitar.com+DVR7300X&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

It looks like Vivitar is going out of business. Their website is disabled. And it looks like it has been awhile
According to CNET, Sakar bought up brand name and intellectual rights
Might be why they’re dumping these off

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10024590-92.html

thanks, realized that after reading…i’m a dork…lol

I have the DVR710 7MP Vivitar.
Basically the same cemera, was version before this I guess
2GB will eat up about just about an hour. It WONT accept 8GB or larger cards.
But like the guy before said, the battery dies long before.
Use the AC adapter inside if you can on an extention cord
Or get extra batteries. They eat batteres up! Obviously, since you have to power the LCD and the camera. I think they have an external power pack add on, but it’s like $100 plus.
Its terrible for low light. Its not good for sneaking in concerts where you’re far away.
It really isnt for low lux filming. And you sure don’t want a light on in a concert he he.
For a $100 family camcorder you can’t complain. But if you’re looking for some quality digital recorder… You wouldn’t be looking at a Woot $100 cam. You’d be looking at $500-1000 hi def camcorders.

These are like 5 years old. No one uses 4GB SD cards to record.
Want quality, you have to pay for it. Want a good cam to play around with for home movies this is great.

120 minutes. Maybe! Would be close.

anyone knows if it works with mac…this might be good for my girlfriend she is looking for a cheap video camera

That’s the end of that relationship.

apparently she already has a cheap bf… lol