Vizio 32” Ultra Slim 1080p 120Hz HDTV

Initially I was going to say my wife and I bought one of these brand new at Sam’s Club for $309.99 but after reading the Vizio website I see that there is a difference of 1.3" of overall depth [thickness]. If ultra slim is what you want then this is a good deal because the company website is selling it for $749 [msrp right?].

I have had to return 2 refurbs in the past year, including a 19" TV that was a Christmas gift. While I was successful at getting appropriate exchanges from the companies, I have grown WEARY of the ‘return routine’,which has made me WARY of purchasing refurbs. Get over it folks, life’s too short.
I’d wish y’all a Happy Easter,but I guess that would be politically incorrect, and would end up starting another pointless argument.
BTW, does anyone know if this model has a sleep timer?

Not sure why you’d get this when you can get a NEW 32" Samsung (a better brand IMO) for $429 @ Amazon.

If all you are going to compare is Size, sure, but I suspect that the sets over on Amazon do NOT have a 120MZH refresh rate…

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Samsung sets, I have a 32inch 720p 60MZH unit already. I also think the Vizio units have good value and arre FAR from the cheapest PoS’s on the market today, I’d have no problems purchasing one, if it fit my needs (I have no current need for another tv atm).

Well then, for future reference, it is VIZIO. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have had a refurb Vizio 42" for almost a year. It is in the living room and so it is on all the time. Haven’t had a program with it.

I don’t believe that’s the case – unless you’re talking about DVD only, and not all content generally. The advantage of a 120Hz set over a 60Hz set is that it can display DVD content without having to resort to possibly artifact-inducing 3:2 pulldown. I don’t see how a 120Hz set is going to be any “faster” at rendering 30/60 fps content than a 60Hz set; it will simply display each frame twice, rather than once.

While both types of sets display 30 fps and 60 fps content (TV/cable/satellite signal) equally well, the 120 Hz set can also display 24 fps content (DVD/BluRay) easily, since 120 is a multiple of 24 (but 60 is not) – so the 3:2 pulldown massage technique that 60Hz sets must perform to display 24 fps content is not needed on a 120Hz set.

So is this TV a smart buy? I’ve never bought a refurb before, and it makes me nervous. The three month Vizio warranty makes me wonder how long Vizio thinks their parts and repairs will last. I could get the square one 2 year warrantly for just over $50 with a coupon code, however I’d rather just not have the TV give out on me in the first place. Opinions/experiences dealing with refurbs? Especially Vizio? I guess my logic on refurbs is that this TV faulted somewhere that any new model could have, and this is what they would give you back if your new tv had something go wrong. Is that silly to think?

yes you can watch movies off the USB…I have found some codec are not playable on this set though. Otherwise I love it

Where does one usually find a code for 30% off? I just bought one of these 20 minutes ago.

thirty30 is the code

Amazon and buy.com are both showing refurb prices at $479. then the cost of shipping… so about 95 bucks more for a refurb from those two sites.

I watched woot.com for some time, but never thought I needed a reason for an account.
<—Lamer.
I know.
But the “Choose Your Own Adventure” on April Fools Day changed all that. I am overjoyed to find such a terrific t.v. at such a low price. From all the research I did this morning, this seems to be one of the best deals around. I am not worried about the ‘refurb’ condition, because you know whatever failure, issue, or return that occurred the device should be ‘like new’. I can’t wait for my ‘like new’ t.v. in the next five business days, and remember to use monoprice.com for your HDMI or DVI/HDMI cables.

Here is some information on Refresh Rates

Congrats on your first Woot purchase!

Here’s a good article about the refresh rate from the Home Theater Magazine website: http://hometheatermag.com/gearworks/707gear/#

I have a few concerns:

Is there a place to find Woot’s definition of refurbished?
I’ve never purchased anything refurbished before and to my knowledge it means “up to factory standards.” I just want to make sure that’s the case.

And, is the warranty provided in the box through Vizio or Woot?

I’ve never bought anything refurbished or big enough to consider a warranty, but for this price I am willing. Thanks for the help!

Oh boy…
I used to LOVE monoprice.com but after the whole thing with everyones CC numbers being stolen and used, up to $6000 in fraudulent chargesn for some, I don’t think I’ll ever go back. Just check out their Facebook page, it’s a landmine. I had $50 in fraudulent charges on mine!

This is the warranty on refurbs from the Vizio website:

Refurb Warranty
NINETY DAY LIMITED WARRANTY ON PARTS AND LABOR

Covers units purchased and currently located in the 50 United States and Puerto Rico.

IF THIS WARRANTY DOCUMENT IS RECEIVED ALONG WITH A UNIT WHICH IS PROVIDED TO THE CUSTOMER AS A WARRANTY REPLACEMENT, THE WARRANTY OF THE PURCHASED UNIT MAY SUPERSEDE THIS ONE. SUCH A REPLACEMENT UNIT IS WARRANTED FOR THE LATER OF EITHER THE REMAINING PORTION OF THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY (AS SPECIFIED BY THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY DOCUMENTATION AND DERIVED FROM THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE DATE) OR THE WARRANTY PERIOD SPECIFIED HEREIN (AS DERIVED FROM THE DATE THE REPLACEMENT UNIT IS RECEIVED).

VIZIO provides a warranty to the original purchaser of its products against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ninety (90) days of non-commercial use. If a VIZIO product is defective within the warranty period, VIZIO will either repair or replace the unit at its sole option and discretion.

To obtain warranty service, contact VIZIO Technical Support via email: TechSupport@VIZIO.com or via phone at 877 MY VIZIO (877.698.4946) from 6:00AM to 9:00PM Monday through Friday and 8:00AM to 4:00PM Saturday and Sunday, Pacific Time, or visit www.VIZIO.com. Proof of purchase in the form of a purchase receipt or copy thereof is required.
Parts and Labor

There will be no charge for parts or labor during the warranty period. Replacement parts and units may be new or recertified at VIZIO’s option and sole discretion. Replacement parts and units are warranted for the remaining portion of the original warranty or for ninety (90) days from warranty service or replacement, whichever is later.
Types of Service

Units 30” or larger will usually be serviced in-home. In-home service requires complete and easy access to the unit and does not include de-installation or re-installation of the product. However, in some cases, it may be necessary to send the unit to a VIZIO service center. VIZIO will cover the transportation charges to and from the same customer location.

Units less than 30” must be sent to a VIZIO service center. VIZIO is not responsible for transportation costs to the service center, but VIZIO will cover return shipping to the customer. Pre-authorization is required before sending any unit in for service.

Any returns to VIZIO’s service centers must utilize either the original carton box and shipping material or a replacement box and material provided by VIZIO. VIZIO technical support will provide instructions for packing and shipping the unit to the VIZIO service center.
Limitations and Exclusions

VIZIO’s ninety-day limited warranty only covers defects in materials and workmanship. Items not covered include but are not limited to cosmetic damage, normal wear and tear, misuse, signal issues, power surges, and damages from shipping, acts of God, any sort of customer misuse, installation, customer modifications, adjustments, and set-up issues. Units with unreadable or removed serial numbers, “image burn-in”, and routine maintenance are not covered. This warranty does not cover products sold “AS IS” or by a non-authorized reseller.

THERE ARE NO EXPRESS WARRANTIES OTHER THAN THOSE LISTED OR DESCRIBED ABOVE. ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, SHALL BE LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE PERIOD OF TIME SET FORTH ABOVE. VIZIO’S TOTAL LIABILITY FOR ANY AND ALL LOSSES AND DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER SHALL IN NO EVENT EXCEED THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE DISPLAY. VIZIO SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR LOSS OF USE, COMMERCIAL LOSS, LOST REVENUE OR LOST PROFITS, OR OTHER INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS OR THE EXCLUSION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS, WHICH VARY FROM STATE TO STATE. THIS WARRANTY IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. CHECK www.VIZIO.com FOR THE MOST CURRENT VERSION.

Just sign up for their email notices. They usually have a 30% off code like once a month, sometimes 40% if your lucky. They are really good about canceling ones to get a better deal as well.