Vizio 37” 1080p LCD HDTV

I agree with having a smaller screen, but I want one slightly bigger than this. I wish they made 44" or 45" screens. I have a $3k entertainment center which hasn’t outlived it’s usefulness yet. Right now I have a 36" Sony Trinitron flat tube in there. It’s 9 years old and weighs more than I do. But I’d love to find a top-end HD flatscreen which could maximize the space. This would look tiny in there though. Too bad.

What is the issue? Difficulty and/or cost of repair?

We’ve had a 50" Vizio for about 3 years now and it’s been an awesome TV - great picture and absolutely no problems. We expect to have it for many more years and I’d definitely buy this brand again.

So, the warranty on this is Woot!.
And the terms and conditions are a bit vague.
What is Woot!'s policy on dead and stuck pixels?

I have 3 different Vizio TVs, all 3 are still up and running with no issues.

Instead of using and requiring all sorts of time and special tools, just purchase a Square Trade warranty. I’ve done this on many electronics and had no issues if/when I needed to.

LOL! Yeah they have a policy, its called SOL.

Check out this Reliability Chart.

Here’s the article it came from.

Once again, Carlton Bale’s article:

1080p Does Matter – Here’s When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution)

90%x90%

At 7 feet or closer, you start to see the benefit of 1080p with this 37" screen.

This Tv will be on sale at wal-mart for $298 all weekend starting at 8am. Brand new.

Avoid this “deal”

Does that include dead pixels on TVs?

I just dropped in to see if anyone was complaining about the $5 shipping being too high. :smiley:

What does that mean? “Drivers” to me means software, and “burn out” to me means hardware.

Are you sure about this? Where have you have seen this?

Not so much.

I see the 32-inch version of this model for sale at Wal*Mart this weekend for $298 – but that is (a) NOT anywhere near the same size as this 37-incher and (b) also NOT a 1080p TV; the 32-incher only goes to 1080i.

So unless you have information that I’m not seeing on their website, I’m gonna say No.

ADDENDUM TO PREVIOUS REPLY: The $298 Wal*Mart TV doe not apparently display 1080i; it will accept it as an input, but the description says it will only display 720p.

And it’s available (the 32-incher on the Wal*Mart site, not the 37-incher in this w00t) on ebay for $300 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290490713123.

It’s not a 37", its a 32". And I believe its 720p.

There are 3 main pieces of hardware to an HDTV.

The “mainboard” (main video controller), the drivers (which are 2 video cards that display the picture onto the screen, telling the colors where to display, etc), then there’s the power supply. (The other ‘meter’ costs about $120++ and you’ll have to do extensive soldiering on all the capacitors…prepare to spend sometime on this project).

Total repair cost for all three of these is about $400 and you need more than a multi-meter to do full testing. Moreso, if i had another Vizio TV that i could swap parts out of, then i could better specifically test hardware to determine which part specifically is fried and thusly lowering my possible total repair costs. :slight_smile:

read above :slight_smile:

Totally, not every single Vizio TV will have issues, so im not trying to claim that; but i AM trying to show that there are a ton of FAQs on how to repair and fix Vizio’s.

I have a 42" Panasonic (lots say they have issues, mines from 2008 and still runnin strong. So def, not all TVs are bad, just some have a loooot to google about…

CHEERS!

I got a Visio 47" on Woot for myself last Christmas-- Couldn’t be happier. I’m in for two of these for my young adult kids for this year.

So, is the 6.5ms response time short enough to play games with? Be it on PS, or something like WoW?

I would buy this in a heartbeat if I didn’t live outside the US. sigh

At least Woot ships their shirts internationally. Better than nothin’.

I have this model of TV from Vizio, and it has sound problems as well.

This particular TV model has a distinct low-volume “hum” (some kind of power hum) when using the HDMI input. I took the original TV back thinking it was a defect, same exact amplifier type hum from the new TV. I have swapped the cable, the cable box, the HDMI input and the power outlet. The low level hum only happens on the HDMI inputs.

I have no idea how a TV model with this problem could get through the manufacturer’s testing, but it seems it might have.

Just take note of this if you watch low-volume TV in a quiet setting, maybe in a bedroom. Otherwise, I am very happy with this TV for the price.

There’s also a chance my case could be an isolated incident or an already fixed problem by now though.