VIZIO 47" 1080p LCD HDTV with Apps

Don’t have price from before ($489.99 tonight), but previous woot offer w/other vizios
http://www.woot.com/offers/the-biggest-vizio-tv-you-can-justify

and comments:
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5181623

edit: last thing. Product support part of page
http://store.vizio.com/e472vl.html#support

with many reviews above it, leads to product manual
http://store.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/E472VL/UM_E472VL.pdf
and quick start guide
http://70.168.148.201/documents/downloads/hdtv/E472VL/1025QSG_E472-552VL.pdf

good night, back to work

I got this deal last time. Let me say, if you get around 1.5mbps with your ISP, you’re not going to really be able to stream videos to this TV even if you do fine with a PC. The reason? Memory. This TV needs a lot more bandwidth in order to really enjoy online streaming videos because it doesn’t have much buffer space. If your ISP is anything like mine, which adversizes 1.5mbps but it’s usually around 1 to 1.3mbps, then watching Hulu or Netflix with this baby is a no-go.

Do this or wait for black friday? Decisions, decisions. I don’t need it now, it would be sitting in a box for a month.

Any advice? The only advantage I see is that black friday I’d be at the same price point for a 46-47 inch, except without it being a refurb.

Do you mean the upload or download speed? I just tested mine and it was 2.54 mbps down and .43 mbps up.

Arrrgh I really want this but CA tax is killing it for me. :’(

Download…upload has little to do with streaming. Now if you want to game that is a different story.

Do you mean this tv is or is not great for gameing?

Unless you are joking,
if you were gaming before you could still game now on this set.

Just bought this tv (actually, it was purchased for me) on Secondipity. After using a special secondipity email coupon for 30% off (it was a one-day coupon), the take home price was $336. I love this TV and am thrilled with its features.

Pros:

1. Four HDMI ports;
  2. Beautiful picture that needed no adjustment right out of the box;
  3. Easily connects to internet and then has quick web speed (I have very fast download speed, though, so I didn’t have any of the problems listed above), with decent apps;
  4. Gives you the ability to watch movies via flash drive (the second usb port is a full media one, and will read .avi and .mp4; I haven’t tested mkv files yet). This feature is listed no where in the specs or the documentation, by the way; when I connected to the internet for the first time, it immediately downloaded a system update and that probably contained this new feature;
  5. Great balanced weight (the stand actually weighs a lot in comparison to the tv, but I guess if you use the stand, you want it weighted and sturdy; mine’s hanging on the wall).
  6. Has a beautiful piano black look on the front, with a matte black finish on the sides and back. (if you had it down on the stand, I could see how you might have a problem with little ones’ fingerprints, though.)

Cons: not much…but these two things might bother some people:

1. takes about 20 seconds to power up;
  2. when watching recorded material, the sound drops when you move from standard to hd or back again. usually lose about 5 seconds sound…remedied by waiting or by raising or lowering the volume. This could be a problem with the tivo itself, but did not occur until I got this tv.

I would definitely buy again (even at the higher price). If you have more questions, let me know.

1. Gives you the ability to watch movies via flash drive (the second usb port is a full media one, and will read .avi and .mp4; I haven’t tested mkv files yet). This feature is listed no where in the specs or the documentation, by the way; when I connected to the internet for the first time, it immediately downloaded a system update and that probably contained this new feature;

Question:
I have an external hardrive loaded with all sorts of movies for the kids, which they watch on the computer using VLC media player. Does your comment mean, I could connect the harddrive to the TV and they could watch the movies on the TV? How do you navigate, does it have a media player??

Thanks in advance!

What do you guys think in comparison to yesterday’s 47" LED LG deal? Does LED vs. LCD make that much of a difference other than in weight? I like the wifi built in too. Do these come with internal antenna or do you still need either cable or a digital antenna? Forgive me, I’m not that tech saavy, but I am a long time wooter.

I have an old 55" Toshiba projection tv that I am looking to upgrade. Bought it new in 1999 and the thing won’t die!

Also, which do you all prefer LG or Vizio and why?

Any help to make a decision is appreciated!

Oh well, SOLD OUT. No responses to help me out. Didn’t even see it blink and they were gone. I guess it was a good tv. I guess noone is in front of their computer on Sundays anymore but me.

Theoretically this would work, if the vizio could handle a hard drive that size (having enough memory to run it could be an issue). BUT I do know that the vizio can also read my Iconia tablet (as DLNA) and play those files as well. My iconia tablet is 32gb + 32gb on a microsd. It takes a bit longer to read but it plays those easily (and it’s a wireless connection), so even though I can’t guarantee it, I would think a hard drive wouldn’t be an issue. It might take a few minutes to build the structure initially, but after that it should be fine. If I were torn about buying it, I would make that bet.

On the navigation front, you basically navigate through a folder structure (much like you see when you go to an ftp site). you use the up-down-sideways buttons to get to the folder you want and then use the OK (select) button to play. After that, there are buttons on the top of the remote that do the typical ffd, rewind, pause and stop functions. When you select the movie you want, it automatically starts playing. I use VLC on my computer, too, but the vizio has some sort of unseen, unmarked player that plays these files just fine. from what I can tell, it’s a hidden app on the machine, so you only “see” it when your actually playing a video.

Continuing on navigation, on a stick or on my tablet, I can down 3 folders deep just by moving around. I haven’t tried to go any deeper than that, because my content isn’t any deeper than that.

I would suppose that a hard drive would operate the same way. you would have three folders on the top level (Video, Music and Pictures), but after that it would be the same folder structure as on the hard drive. It’s not pretty (kind of like dos), but it reads the full file name (doesn’t truncate like dos
would).

I have a screenshot that i’ll email to you directly. You can’t see much, but you can see what a stick looks like onscreen.

(REMEMBER, only the second USB port does this; the first must be the “maintenance” port).

well, ursif I see they’re sold out. If it comes up again, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy.

picture quality seems comparable on both to me, at least where the LG and Vizio are concerned. Both amazing pictures, but yesterday’s LG didn’t have internet capabilities. I know some people like to keep their tv and wireless access separate (more features = more to break), but it saves me from buying another roku box, so I’m all for it.

I thought nothing could beat an LG picture, and while I haven’t put them side by side, this Vizio LCD seems as good as the LG. It’s so clear and defined that you feel like you’re looking in on someone else’s life. It’s a little disconcerting.

At $489, this tv is a great deal. I don’t think yesterday’s LG was as great of a bargain.