VIZIO 70" 1080p LED Smart TV with Wi-Fi

We purchased this TV in January. For a quality to price ratio, it has been great for us. There’s some great information on the avsforum website which may or may not assist with your decision http://www.avsforum.com/t/1440682/vizio-e701i-a3-owners-thread

Yes, we do experience the “flashlighting” effect on a black screen, but we’re not that picky. If I HAD to nick-pick, I would say that the web apps are sketchy and the wireless drops quite frequently. The remote is also unresponsive at times as well. There is only ONE coax jack and the stand is REALLY flimsy…one hard tug on either side of the TV and it’s toppling over. We pretty much have the TV on all day and it never gets hot or makes a sound.

Overall, it was a good purchase.

My point was more aimed at the idea of the Wooter actually going to the site where the reviews are posted and reading through them so they can make an informed determination if the positive (or negative) reviews are a realistic reflection on the product.

Do that instead of just looking at 4.5 of 5 (250 reviews) and believing it’s great.

I went to Costco and Best Buy reviews and examined a bunch.

Neither site asks the reviewers to indicate purchase date or much of anything to help determine if the review is worthwhile or the buyer is just giddy from making a new purchase.

It seems Best Buy has a bit more information about the buyer than Costco however.

I got this guy off of Woot the last time it was sold… a lot of people were voicing concerns over a refurb and yadda yadda. Let me just say this:

I friggin love this TV! When my friends come over, all they want to do is sit in the basement and watch whatever might happen to be on. The thin edge around the whole thing is a really nice feature, too, because the whole TV is basically just screen space. It’s really thin and looks amazing when wall-mounted.

I haven’t had a single issue, and Woot is always super helpful in the rare case that you do. I’ve purchased many expensive electronics from Woot that were refurbished and I have YET to regret that decision.

In summary–don’t hesitate if you’re thinking about picking this thing up. It’ s been on here a few times before and it has sold out every time. This is very, very worth it.

90 day warranty is awful! That makes this deal not worth it.

Question for Woot staff: the “flashlighting” that bbdickso1 mentions above and that is well-documented with photos in the avsforum, like this one…would that issue be covered under the Woot 90 day guarantee?

I have been waiting for Woot to run a 70" tv but am anxious about pulling the trigger on this model when I read about so many people having to go through 2 or 3 of these to get one where the screen doesn’t have this issue. I’m thinking if I’m starting OUT with a model that may have been returned that I could be in trouble. How would Woot handle this situation?

Where? Share the link.

You’re right, we should just nix reviews all together. Screw’em. Everybody but me is an idiot anyway.

Why would anyone spend $1,300 on a tv that only has a 90 day warranty? Doesn’t make any sense to me, especially considering this is a refurb.

Get a clue Woot. Know one in their right mind is buying anything for over $500 with a 90 day warranty. People who can spend over $1000 are definitely not stupid enough to get an item with only 90 day warranty.

NO DEAL WOOT!

Solid 4.4+ stars reviews (140+ people) in Amazon. The TV by itself is very good.

This is an outstanding 1080p TV.
I bought one new a month ago ($1600 in BJ Wholesale Club, the same price as Amazon) otherwise I may had snagged this refurb here at woot. (I have several woot refurb projectors and they have worked just fine). The only problem ever I’ve had with refurb was with an Apple ipod right here in woot and I would never do that again. The TV sold last year for around $2,000. It is cheaper now because VIZIO came out with a 240HZ model.

I don’t usually care about additional features on a TV but this model is very handy watching Netflix, Amazon etc on the tv just by flicking a button on the remote. NO need to switch to a separate box.

Since it runs at 120Hz video refresh, you will probably want to adjust the settings to avoid having movies look like tv soap operas due to the “smooth action” algo - It’s a personal taste kind of kind. Some folks love the “extra clear look”, I prefer my movies to look like movies including filmed TV series. You won’t have to call a professional, you have access to many options right from your remote and if you read the reviews at Amazon and other places you will see folks list their favorite settings. Initially I left mine as it came, but after a week I played with the settings to tune it to my liking, including removing the smooth action. The remote control itself is smaller than expected but if you flip it over it has a keyboard. Comes in handy typing in the wifi password, searching netflix, amazon, etc.

Angle wise, some reviewers complain about NOT being able to see it from the sides, we havent had that problem. It replaced a Samsung DLP which could be viewed from many different angles but this is the same, if not better. We have it in a room with an L shaped “pit” furniture and a huge ottoman in center and it is equally enjoyable anywhere on the room.

The picture quality is very bright (can be toned down or up at will) and can be very vivid or subdued (again based on your taste). Very good blacks and dark areas on the screen. I know some people complaint that LEDs can’t come close to PLASMA TVs but this one is close enough for anyone less than a purist.

The built-in sound is good considering there is NOTHING to this TV. Meaning it has a thin (one inch or less) “frame” around the screen like a picture frame, so the speakers face backwards (mounted behind). This actually makes the sound bounce back at you from the wall which surprisingly works out fine. I prefer deeper/louder sound so I have it hooked up to a receiver, but I sometimes I don’t turn on the receiver and the kids often use it without the amp. It depends on taste. Via the amp the surround sound is as rich as any other quality source. Without it is fairly loud.

If you are mounting it on a wall, make sure to get the right mount. And if you are not, make sure you push in the included base tightly against the TV and tighten the four screws “in sequence” (like replacing a tire). The TV is huge and the stand is tiny, so you want a nice tight fit. I’m using it on a glass stand I had and I found it best to open the box upside down, and apply the base while the TV was upright (vertical) upside down looking down on it. Gravity helped sit the base in nicely.

In terms of size, if you have a 60 or 65 inch Samsung type DLP TV, the 70 will fit in nearly the same space because as I said earlier it is just the screen and a thin frame around it- no extra plastic.

I’m picky about large TVs, taking me a while to find one that I would like at a price I feel is fair and this TV is very nice all around. I would definitely buy it again. You can not get a better 70in TV unless you pay an additional $800-$1,000 and considering how quickly the technology changes, it wasn’t worth it to me. But even if you do pay more, I’m not sure many people could tell the difference.

We have an 11 foot screen “movie room” in the basement but this TV gets a lot of attention right in the living room. People see it and are drawn to whatever it’s playing on it. Fantastic purchase.

buyer beware

Bought this from best buy a few months back, great price ( was online only, not in store on display) and after a week it just would shut off. I called Vizio and they had me to a reset…was fine for a couple week then it was doing it over and over. It was the 30th day and last day to return…called vizio again and they wanted to send tech out to replace a bunch of parts. I refused and said this is a brand new tv…I don’t want refurbished parts in it to only have more issues down the road. Took it back to store and as soon as a brought it in the manager shook his head and said “another one…?”

So…beware, it looks like a lot of these have come back to stores for issues and by the sound of the manager, I haven’t been the only one with power issues.

I purchased a 70" from Costco on the Black Friday weekend for $1479. Most stores only had a couple of them. As mentioned before, Costco extends the warranty for an additional year, and if you pay for it on your AMEX Gold or Platinum card you can register it with them for another year of coverage.

No issues and the picture is very good once you dial in the settings. The default settings look a bit washed out - a quick calibration and it looked much better. I am more a fan of the brilliance and contrast you get from a plasma, but this TV does not heat the house up like my Panasonic plasma did.

The only thing I would say is a real drawback on the Vizio is the apps - no web browser. The rest of the apps load and work well but it would be nice to have a web browser since the set’s remote has a QWERTY keyboard on the bottom side. (I am assuming this one also does, woot did not put a picture of it with the listing).

Back to the calibration thing - I recommend the Disney WoW calibration disk. It is inexpensive and does the trick for most users. Obviously the tools that an ISF professional would use are much better, but this does pretty good. You can get the before mentioned disk at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Wow-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B00462PTDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372353066&sr=8-1&keywords=blu-ray+calibration+disc

And here they all are, fixed and on woot for the taking - you could theoretically buy your exact same TV;)

has anybody used a 3rd party insurance company like “Square Trade” for a purchase like this?

It is 500 more at costco ?? Trumps, hardly

I JUST purchased this TV from best buy as an open box deal for $1199 with no remote, I ordered the remote online and received it very fast. I have zero issues with the TV so far, yes its only been a week but the picture is fantastic, the apps are nice (amazon video, me being a prime member). Love the 4 HDMI slots because I use all 4 but the only downfall is the tv sound, very quiet and junk speakers, but that has always been an issue with me with TVs, so I use the optical and hook it up to my surround which is perfect. I understand people have had issues with this TV but if you scoure reviews and look at every single TV you are going to find that people have some sort of issue with everything, regardless of what the item is.

I’ve had my 70 since January, great TV. Flashlighting is a phenom of edge lit lcds all have it to some degree. I took these pics a few minutes ago in my LR with windows to the rear.

You can see I have very little flashlighting which is completely unnoticeable under viewing conditions.

Found a good review found here:

I’m in!

This refurb is $400 less than my local Best Buy’s “sale” price for a new one. Not to mention saving about $160 (9.5%) in sales t@x where I live… shhhh!

I purchased the 60 inch version of this TV on Black Friday and I like it a lot. No problems, excellent picture, decent remote: no complaints. I am impressed with it every time I turn it on, and for gaming it’s amazing! I would buy it again.

I didn’t buy it because I didn’t hear back from Woot about whether the flashlighting issue would be covered by warranty, and because the 90 Day Woot, Inc. Limited Warranty states the following:

A quick trip to the FedEx ratefinder, just plugging in the dimensions and weight of the tv itself, indicated that it would be >$150 to ship it back to Woot in case of warranty claim.

So I didn’t do it.

And I woke up this morning with non-buyer’s remorse :frowning:

Hopefully some folks who made the purchase will come back here and tell us how it went.